May 13, 2024, 11:52:45 PM

Author Topic: any thoughts on my forcemaster deck ?  (Read 3971 times)

trivium

• New Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
any thoughts on my forcemaster deck ?
« on: October 17, 2013, 03:35:44 PM »
Tips/thoughts on my forcemaster deck would be welcome. I'm going to participate in a local tournament and I'm planning to play the forcemaster as i've played her most of all mages, so all help is welcome

equipment:
- 2 dancing simitar (4pts)
- galvitar (3pts)
- Storm drake hide (2pts)
- 2 psi-orb (4pts)
- 2 Force ring (2pts)
- regrowth belt (2pts)
- leather gloves (1pt)
- Defense ring (2pts)
Total: 20pts
I Doubled some of my equipment because it hurt me in my past games when these got dissolved

Conjurations:
- Battle Forge (4pts)
- supression orb (2pts)
- enchanter's Wardstone (2pts)
- Hand of Bim-Shalla (2pts)
Total: 10pts
I really like Bim-Shalla with the forcemaster, I use enchanter's Wardstone as I make a lot of use of my enchantments and I value them high

Creatures:
- Invisible Stalker (5pts)
- 3 Thoughtspore (6pts)
Total: 11pts
Maybe I could cut the Thoughtspores down to 2 but i like to keep a spare for late game. If i play vs a turtler I sometimes us all 3

Enchantments:
- force orb (1pt)
- Force crush (3pts)
- 2 Forcefield (8pts)
- Mind control (6pts)
- 2 Charm (4pts)
- Nullify (2pts)
- Circle of Lightning (4pts)
- Falcon precision (2pts)
- Vampirism (4pts)
- Decoy (1pt)
- Bear strength (2pts)
Total: 37pts
Vampirism combined with Bear strength and Bim-Shalla is a combo i really like. Maybe a damage barrier isn't needed but In some cases i get overrun i like the daze/stun it can trigger. I like to put a decoy on myself early to trigger a seeking dispel.

Incantations:
- Dissolve (2pts)
- 3 Force bash (6pts)
- Heal (4pts)
- Dispel (2pts)
- Mass Sleep (4pts)
- Repulse (1pt)
- Seeking Dispel (2pts)
- 2 Force push (2pts)
- Power strike (1pt)
- Sleep (2pts)
- Force wave (1pt)
- Teleport (4pts)
Total: 31pts
A Thoughtspore with power strike can buff my vampirism/bear strength/Bim-Shalla even more. Teleport is needed when I get tangled etc maybe i'd even need one more.

Attacks:
- Invisible Fist (1pt)
- Jet Stream (2pts)
- 4 Force Hammer (8pts)
I really LOVE jet stream on a thoughtspore, the +2 vs flying is really good if my opponent wants to counter me with flying creatures and it has a high chance to push(and daze) creatures I want somewhere else.

Total: 20+10+11+37+31+11= 120pts

All thoughts welcome

Wildhorn

• Superior artificial brain, feel free to call me Blaine.
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 3
    • View Profile
    • Mage Wars Quebec
Re: any thoughts on my forcemaster deck ?
« Reply #1 on: October 17, 2013, 05:41:50 PM »
Maybe instead of doubling equipement, you could add 1 or 2 Armor Ward to protect them.
Also, you should get 3 dissolve (or 2 dissolve and 1 steal equipment), it is very useful against mage wands or to remove an armor juste before you double strike.
You should use the hauberk instead of the drake hide. Alot more fire/burn than wind attacks.
Defense ring is not that amazing, it is just an increase of 8% chance to attack miss.
You should get the eagleclaw boots too, in case you need to pass a wall and if you face a mage that use alot of push effect, you do not want to be moved around.
You should use the Mordok Obelisk instead of the suppression orb, that way, combined with mind control, you can have an instant kill if opponent unleash a fatty.
4 Force Hammer is overkill, you should need only 2, as a ranged finisher. Fighting with attack spell is not very effective.
Consider also using the belt that give you Though -2, because you are solo, you do not want to be affected by effects.

Zuberi

• Rules Guru
  • Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 57
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 18, 2013, 01:02:47 PM »
I'll agree with most of Wildhorn's points. I would say you're okay keeping the Storm Drake Hide, though. Wildhorn is correct in that there ARE more sources of Flame damage, and I'll add in that Flame attacks do more damage for their cost, however I'd argue Lightning spells are more devistating to you. They all give a chance to Daze or Stun, which can be more painful than the extra damage you might take from Flame.

Ideally I'd put in both Storm Drake Hide and Dragonscale Hauberk if you can find the points for it. This gives you versatility to pick the best armor suited for your opponent PLUS a spare set of armor if the first gets Dissolved.

Besides that, I want to give a strong push to Wildhorn's suggestion of using 1 Steal Equipment. It can be a huge tempo gain. Especially against another Forcemaster if you manage to steal their Galvitar.

trivium

• New Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 18, 2013, 04:15:32 PM »
These are the changes i made

equipment:
- 2 dancing simitar (4pts)
- galvitar (3pts)
- Storm drake hide (2pts)
- 2 psi-orb (4pts)
- 2 Force ring (2pts)
- regrowth belt (2pts)
- leather gloves (1pt)
- Defense ring (2pts)
Total: 20pts
I Doubled some of my equipment because it hurt me in my past games when these got dissolved

Conjurations:
- Battle Forge (4pts)
- supression orb (2pts)
- enchanter's Wardstone (2pts)
- Hand of Bim-Shalla (2pts)
- Wall of thorns
Total: 10pts 12pts
I really like Bim-Shalla with the forcemaster, I use enchanter's Wardstone as I make a lot of use of my enchantments and I value them high

Creatures:
- Invisible Stalker (5pts)
- 3 2 Thoughtspore (6pts)
Total: 11pts 9pts
Maybe I could cut the Thoughtspores down to 2 but i like to keep a spare for late game. If i play vs a turtler I sometimes us all 3

Enchantments:
- force orb (1pt)
- Force crush (3pts)
- 2 Forcefield (8pts)
- Mind control (6pts)
- 2 Charm (4pts)
- Nullify (2pts)
- Circle of Lightning (4pts)
- Falcon precision (2pts)
- Vampirism (4pts) 2x vampirism 8pts
- Decoy (1pt)
- Bear strength (2pts) 2x bear strength 4pts
Total: 37pts 43pts
Vampirism combined with Bear strength and Bim-Shalla is a combo i really like. Maybe a damage barrier isn't needed but In some cases i get overrun i like the daze/stun it can trigger. I like to put a decoy on myself early to trigger a seeking dispel.

Incantations:
- Dissolve (2pts)
- 3 Force bash (6pts) 2x force bash 4pts
- Heal (4pts)
- Dispel (2pts) 2x dispel 4pts
- Mass Sleep (4pts)
- Repulse (1pt)
- Seeking Dispel (2pts)
- 2 Force push (2pts)
- Power strike (1pt)
- Sleep (2pts)
- Force wave (1pt)
- Teleport (4pts)
- Steal equipment 3pts
Total: 31pts 29pts
A Thoughtspore with power strike can buff my vampirism/bear strength/Bim-Shalla even more. Teleport is needed when I get tangled etc maybe i'd even need one more.

Attacks:
- Invisible Fist (1pt)
- Jet Stream (2pts)
- 4 Force Hammer (8pts) 2x force hammer 4pts
Total: 11pts 7pts
I really LOVE jet stream on a thoughtspore, the +2 vs flying is really good if my opponent wants to counter me with flying creatures and it has a high chance to push(and daze) creatures I want somewhere else.

Total: 20+10+11+37+31+11= 120pts 20+12+9+43+29+7=120pts

trivium

• New Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 18, 2013, 04:46:29 PM »
I did some playtesting with a friend of mine today. Every duel with the forcemaster was really close but I won most of them. Then we did a couple of games with my warlock and it felt much easier to beat him with this deck. So I'm a little bit in doubt now to play the fm or the warlock. So anyway, I'll post my warlock deck, comments and tips on this would help me alot. Thanks  :D

Equipment:
- Lash of Hellfire 2pts
- Sectarus, dark rune sword 3pts
- 2x demonhide armor 4pts
- Helm of fear 2pts
- Colossus belt 2pts
- Ring of curses 1pt
- Moloch's torment 1pt
- Leather boots 1pt
- Fireshaper ring 1pt
- elemental cloak 2pts
- Gauntlets of strength 2pts
- Dancing scimitar 4pts
Total: 25pts
I don't see dancing scimitar often in a non-fm deck, can anyone explain me why? Is it bad?

Conjurations:
- battle forge 3pts
- wall of fire 2pts
- mana crystal 2pts
- wall of thorns 2pts
total: 9pts

Creatures:
- 2x Necropian Vampiress 8pts
- Dark pact slayer 3pts

Enchantments:
- Falcon precision 2pts
- 2x Nullify 4pts
- 2x poisoned blood 2pts
- 2x Death link 4pts
- 2x Hellfire trap 2pts
- agony 1pt
- Chains of agony 1pt
- Marked for death 1pt
- 2x Ghoul rot 4pts
- 2x Bear strength 4pts
- Enfeeble 2pts
- 2x Vampirism 4pts
- Magebane 1pt
- Maim wins 1pt
Total: 33pts

Incantations:
- 2x Whirling strike 8pts
- Drain life 3pts
- Seeking dispel 2pts
- 2x dispel 4pts
- Force push 2pts
- 2x Explode 4pts
- Force wave 2pts
- Teleport 4pts
Total: 29pts
Is whirling strike really as strong as i think on my lock? Combined with bear strength and vampirism this incantation seems very strong to me if i'm in a good position

Attacks:
- 3x Fireball 6pts
- 2x Flameblast 2pts
- Firestorm 3pts
- Ring of fire 2pts

Total: 25+9+11+33+29+13=120pts

What i almost always do with my lock is:

- Turn 1: quickcast mana crystal in starting zone, full action go to near center = 19 - 5    14mana
- turn 2: 24 mana quickcast battle forge in near center and fullcast necropian vampiress  0 mana
- Turn 3: start equiping and going for the kill...

Shad0w

• Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 18, 2013, 08:55:26 PM »

I don't see dancing scimitar often in a non-fm deck, can anyone explain me why? Is it bad?

Is whirling strike really as strong as i think on my lock? Combined with bear strength and vampirism this incantation seems very strong to me if i'm in a good position

I don't see dancing scimitar often in a non-fm deck, can anyone explain me why?

The tick with the DS is that it has a modal purpose. It can be both used both for damage progression or for avoidance. So when looking at it for a choice in most builds you need to figure is it worth the cost from the limited 120 points you have to work with.

Is it bad?

No far from bad but in some builds it is hard to justify a 3d free action once per round that is melee only and get no bonus of any kind. Another example is if I am playing a ranged build I will not be in melee often enough to take advantage of the DS.

Is whirling strike really as strong as i think on my lock? ( Combined with bear strength and vampirism this incantation seems very strong to me if i'm in a good position)

WS works like all other multi-attacks it only gets the bonus from BS during the first attack in the chain. With WS to get the most value out of it you need at least 3 targets. Also remember that with vampiric If the attack makes multiple attacks against the same or different objects, it gains this bonus only for the first attack it makes

Vampiric

When this attack causes damage to a Living creature, the attacker heals (removes) up to half the damage caused (round up). If the attack does more damage than the target’s life total, the excess damage does not count for healing. If the attack makes multiple attacks against the same or different objects, it gains this bonus only for the first attack it makes. The Vampiric trait does not stack; if a creature acquires this trait more than once, treat it as if it only had the trait once
« Last Edit: October 18, 2013, 08:57:50 PM by Shad0w »
"Darth come prove to meet you are worthy of the fighting for your school in the arena and not just another scholar to be discarded like an worn out rag doll"

Quote: Shad0w the Arcmage

Fentum

• Sr. Mage
  • Banana Stickers 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 19, 2013, 01:40:22 AM »

Your Warlock looks pretty solid and standard. It would be a decent match up vs anything.

FircthecFM, I tend to find Thoughtspores too squishy, and the stalker situational. I like grizzlies and Nec vamps with the FM, and bugger the book cost!

But I am no expert on either of these guys. And if you really want to win, take a Wizard!    ;)