May 14, 2024, 11:08:45 PM

Author Topic: Dawnbreaker Priest  (Read 2882 times)

RomeoXero

• Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 6
    • View Profile
Dawnbreaker Priest
« on: July 27, 2015, 01:11:41 AM »
I have done admittedly only cursory work on this build, but it was tweaked from a successful priest that wasn't too far off. I'm really wondering about my book building skills, especially with the priest, as he tends to be pretty tricky. My meta is incredibly small and even smaller now with one player having moved out of reach. So here, this is my book. please critique it, lend me some advice on anything you think i may need, possibly why if you have time. I would appreciate any info that makes this book more efficient. I'm afraid it might be better played by a priestess but i kind of want the aggressive pressure that he lends himself to. Also i just like the feel of the priest better, though i acknowledge his shortcomings and mildly paradoxical special ability.

The intention behind this one is to make full use of ToDawnbreaker. I recently commented that it is underrated and i made pretty efficient use of the defense insurance AND the damage dice do over many times. I'm afraid it might have been just dumb luck, or that the dice gods weren't shining on me that evening (even my attack rolls were mostly blanks that night). The concept is to make use of the Guardian Angels natural defense to synergize with the ToDs. I can holy avenger the unicorn, the GA(most likely), or a cleric if i need a sturdy mobile healer.
It uses reflex boots for mid to late game. the redundant leather is actually a leather belt, the pillars of light are mostly sunfire burst. The Knight of westlock is a Temple High Guard

I can go ToD, mana flower turn one, then holy avenger GA turn 2 if needs be, or battle forge, Tod, if my opponent isn't pressing too hard, turn three I'm not sure about, but i could conceivably be attacking turn three with the spells i have listed.

My fears are that i have too many creatures, as the ToA is a later game play or if i need to switch gears and not use my forge. That i should probably drop the Resurrection and just grab another GA and something else. That i should double up on the staff because it draws hate pretty fast despite the armor ward. And as previously stated I'm trying to convince myself the priestess couldn't do it better.

EDIT theres supposed to be 2 dissolves in there somewhere. and i made a mistake while transcribing this into the builder from the hard stack of cards i had. my bad guys its late. drop the resurection add the dissolves problem solved***

What do you think?
[spellbook]
[spellbookheader]
[spellbookname][/spellbookname]
[mage]Priest[/mage]
[/spellbookheader]
[spells]
[spellclass]Attack[/spellclass]
[mwcard=DNA01]1 x  Acid Ball[/mwcard]
[mwcard=FWA04]1 x  Hurl Boulder[/mwcard]
[mwcard=mw1a11]2 x  Pillar of Light[/mwcard]
[spellclass]Conjuration[/spellclass]
[mwcard=mw1j24]1 x  Temple of Light[/mwcard]
[mwcard=mw1j04]1 x  Battle Forge[/mwcard]
[mwcard=mw1j13]1 x  Mana Flower[/mwcard]
[mwcard=mw1j23]1 x  Temple of Asyra[/mwcard]
[mwcard=mw1j09]2 x  Temple of the Dawnbreaker[/mwcard]
[mwcard=mw1j22]1 x  Tanglevine[/mwcard]
[mwcard=mw1j08]1 x  Hand of Bim-Shalla[/mwcard]
[spellclass]Creature[/spellclass]
[mwcard=mw1c19]1 x  Gray Angel[/mwcard]
[mwcard=mw1c06]1 x  Brogan Bloodstone[/mwcard]
[mwcard=mw1c28]2 x  Royal Archer[/mwcard]
[mwcard=mw1c02]2 x  Asyran Cleric[/mwcard]
[mwcard=mw1c20]1 x  Highland Unicorn[/mwcard]
[mwcard=mw1c39]1 x  Valshalla, Lightning Angel[/mwcard]
[mwcard=MWSTX1CKC06]2 x  Guardian Angel[/mwcard]
[mwcard=mw1c22]1 x  Knight of Westlock[/mwcard]
[spellclass]Enchantment[/spellclass]
[mwcard=MWSTX1CKE01]1 x  Armor Ward[/mwcard]
[mwcard=MWSTX2FFE04]1 x  Brace Yourself[/mwcard]
[mwcard=mw1e01]2 x  Bear Strength[/mwcard]
[mwcard=MWSTX2FFE02]2 x  Akiro's Favor[/mwcard]
[mwcard=mw1e05]1 x  Cheetah Speed[/mwcard]
[mwcard=MWSTX1CKE03]1 x  Healing Charm[/mwcard]
[mwcard=mw1e29]1 x  Nullify[/mwcard]
[mwcard=MWSTX1CKE02]1 x  Divine Might[/mwcard]
[mwcard=mw1e12]1 x  Divine Protection[/mwcard]
[mwcard=mw1e32]1 x  Regrowth[/mwcard]
[mwcard=mw1e21]1 x  Hawkeye[/mwcard]
[spellclass]Equipment[/spellclass]
[mwcard=mw1q16]1 x  Leather Gloves[/mwcard]
[mwcard=mw1q19]1 x  Mage Wand[/mwcard]
[mwcard=mw1q11]1 x  Gauntlets of Strength[/mwcard]
[mwcard=MWSTX1CKQ04]1 x  Reflex Boots[/mwcard]
[mwcard=mw1q08]1 x  Elemental Wand[/mwcard]
[mwcard=mw1q24]1 x  Ring of Asyra[/mwcard]
[mwcard=mw1q15]1 x  Leather Boots[/mwcard]
[mwcard=mw1q06]1 x  Dragonscale Hauberk[/mwcard]
[mwcard=mw1q29]1 x  Staff of Asyra[/mwcard]
[spellclass]Incantation[/spellclass]
[mwcard=mw1i22]1 x  Resurrection[/mwcard]
[mwcard=mw1i28]1 x  Teleport[/mwcard]
[mwcard=mw1i12]1 x  Force Push[/mwcard]
[mwcard=mw1i06]2 x  Dispel[/mwcard]
[mwcard=MWSTX2FFI03]1 x  Disarm[/mwcard]
[mwcard=mw1i20]1 x  Purify[/mwcard]
[mwcard=mw1i17]2 x  Minor Heal[/mwcard]
[/spells]
[cost]Total cost: 120 pts[/cost]
[/spellbook]
« Last Edit: July 27, 2015, 01:54:56 AM by RomeoXero »
  • Favourite Mage: Wychwood Druid
I love this game. Its awesome!

RomeoXero

• Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 6
    • View Profile
Re: Dawnbreaker Priest
« Reply #1 on: July 27, 2015, 01:15:22 AM »
Whoops, awesome noob mistake sorry folks. i didn't mean to actually attach that, i'm trying to figure out how to post the actual book in that handy format the forums provide. lemme look into what im supposed to do this time. sorry guys

echephron

• Player
  • Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
  • The finest in mage wear...
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 27, 2015, 01:17:04 AM »
in the spellbook builder, go export>forum
then paste it in.

RomeoXero

• Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 6
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 27, 2015, 01:40:10 AM »
awesome thank you very much

Coshade

• Arcane Duels Host
  • Administrator
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 6
    • View Profile
    • Arcane Duels!
« Reply #4 on: July 27, 2015, 05:31:31 PM »
Hey there,
I've been experimenting with a Dawnbreaker book recently. Hope I can give some useful opinions!

I would suggest running a harmonize if you run a TOA. I've been finding my games with monks are not always spent gaining mana.

Asyran Cleric ---> I've been loving this creature. You can meditate anywhere in the arena and gain mana. He can heal your mage when they try to focus your mage down, and if they rush early they are ok at defending for low mana cost. Since you're using a priest, I suggest making it your Avenger if you think you won't have time to get the unicorn out. On a side note if you make it your Avenger and they go after to kill it, the Cleric usually pays for itself and you can gain an advantage. Personally I prefer Asyran Defenders as my Avenger.

I was wondering if you prefer Mana Flower over Mana Crystal. Personally I prefer the Crystal because it feels like it can take more damage in the long run.

Battle Forge ---> I'm not sure if you're going to have enough mana to support this. If you want to put it in I would suggest adding a Meditation Amulet. If you do use both your TOA and Battle Forge I don't think you will find time to cast the TOD. Mana is really tricky for Holy Mages to work with. If you are only using your TOA once every two rounds (Maybe cutting back after 4-5 cretaures)---> I don't think you should cast it in the first place.

Valshalla ---> While I love this card, I often find I don't have time to cast it or the game is over by the time it would trigger it's ability. I'm curious if you have games where you got full use out of it. The Stun/Daze chance is really nice though.

Love the Armor Ward with Nullify

I think you should add in a Dawnbreaker ring and take out Ring of Asyra. Dawnbreaker combos with both your melee and any holy attack spells you cast ----> Sunfire Burst is awesome with it. I don't think you're going to cast enough holy things to make the Ring of Asyra worth it, but the extra damage can stack nicely.

Personally I don't think you need the Battle Forge. I think you can take out the Leather boots and Gloves and replace it with a Rhino Hide for the same cost. If you need to armor up early it is very simple too. This also means you can have high armor and Gauntlets of Strength and Reflex Boots for those really late game buffs. I would suggest using a Regrowth Belt though instead of Leather Belt. The passive healing is amazing.

You should consider Wand of Healing. Since you are not a Priestess you need a way to remove stuns/rots etc. I know you have a purify, but Gorgan Archers can ruin your day without Healing Wand. They are also great for cheap healing at action inefficiency for when you just need to survive while your creatures kill the enemy.

Just kind of rambled here, hope you can find something interesting in this :D
  • Favourite Mage: Malakai Priest

RomeoXero

• Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 6
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 27, 2015, 11:37:04 PM »
This... Is awesome! Ok couple of things just so i can regain a bit of dignity. the ring of asyra is SUPPOSED to be the dawnbreaker ring, i messed up because this is the first time ive used the online spellbook builder. ive always made them a la MtG with a big stack that gets whittled down by nesscesity. I used the app once, and it was magnificent, but i dont have a tablet, so im outa luck there.

Vashalla is a throwback to the original book, it used to be a 2nd turn drop quite like the standard warlock mana crystal/sprint/adramalech tactic for early rushes. with backup that angel puts a hurt out quickly, but if you do that, thats pretty much your whole commitment. i should probably edit her out of this, and likely will. but damn i hate to see her go

As to the battleforge i think your right, i should pull the leathers as they usually just gather corrode tokens anyway, enchantments are kind of a staple of mine and i hate to hearken it back again (probably should have just posted that one pre edit) had a few more enchantments and an enchanters wardstone. i hessitate to drop the ToA because of the pump to ToL, and it does gather boulders and hammers like its getting paid. Do you think its advisable to run this without ANY spawnpoints?

Wand of healing, duh.

Mana Flower got put in because the original book was built free card style, and my friend had just put together a water wizard and he had a ton of them booked already. it was supposed to get changed, but then i realized, folks dont usually hate on the lone crystal/flower anyway. probably a poor choice and it will likely be edited as well.

Clerics, are awesome. Fact. Ive been heasitant to use the Asyran Defenders. They just seem squishy to me, and unless they're a holy avenger ad ive always thought there are better options for that. maybe im wrong, i should try it.

All that having been said Thank you for your input! anything else from anyone else would be appreciated

Coshade, Im a big fan of arcane duels! Love the stuff you guys are doing, its a super cool way to catch the previews of stuff in action. You all are doing an awesome job! Thanks again!