May 17, 2024, 07:51:39 PM

Author Topic: Pentagram and Magebane  (Read 5897 times)

isel

• Sr. Mage
  • Banana Stickers 1
    • View Profile
Pentagram and Magebane
« on: February 06, 2014, 04:24:31 AM »
I know that pentagram says attacked by a friendly creature, but yesterday one player ask me that if you put magebane in oponents wizard, its considered that trigger mana in pentagram, i ddont have find anything that give him reason, can you resolve this? thanks.

Gizzu

• Jr. Mage
  • Banana Stickers 2
    • View Profile
Re: Pentagram and Magebane
« Reply #1 on: February 06, 2014, 05:32:18 AM »
[mwcard=MW1J17] Pentagram[/mwcard]

No, the damage done by Magebane does not come from an attack. So you cannot add mana to Pentagram.

Hope this helps!  :)

CYA,
G

Zuberi

• Rules Guru
  • Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 57
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 06, 2014, 10:20:11 AM »
Two requirements must be met in order for pentagram to receive the mana:

1) An enemy creature must be attacked by a friendly creature.
2) Damage must be dealt by that attack.

First off, magebane is not a creature, and secondly it does not perform an attack. It simply deals direct damage. An attack goes through the 8 steps of combat (though some steps are conditional and do not always apply). They always include rolling attack dice though (at least currently).

Thus, the answer to your question is No, magebane does not trigger pentagram.

isel

• Sr. Mage
  • Banana Stickers 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 06, 2014, 11:06:51 AM »
thanks, my friend said that magebane its an attack made by your mage and your mage its a creature.

lukard

« Reply #4 on: February 06, 2014, 12:49:53 PM »
Hi isel,

Magebane is an Enchantment (Curse) that targets a creature. It does not perform any attack, it deals damage as an effect (see rulebook page 12).

Cheers,
« Last Edit: February 07, 2014, 12:05:36 AM by lukard »

jacksmack

• Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 19
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 06, 2014, 03:08:59 PM »
Hi isel,

Magebane is an Enchantment (Curse) that targets a creature. It does perform any attack, it deals damage as an effect (see rulebook page 12).

Cheers,

:O

lukard

« Reply #6 on: February 07, 2014, 12:06:21 AM »
Correction, "does not perform any attack"

Boocheck

• Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 07, 2014, 06:25:32 AM »
I will hijack this thread.

Mage A cast a hidden magebane on me.
Mage B cast his own spell¨
Mage A reveald hidden magebane.

Now, did Mage B recieved damage? Our confustion came from the text Each time creature CASTS and resovles spell. Mage A revelad his magebane after casting. Did mage B recieved damage?

1. cast
          - magebane revealed
2. counter
3. resolve

IMO dmg will be dealt, but when a person you are trying to reason is also your opponent, this person often have "logical answer immunity"
« Last Edit: February 07, 2014, 06:27:33 AM by Boocheck »
  • Favourite Mage: Bloodwave Warlord
I am one with the force, the force is with me! (Warlord is still my fav mage ;) )

Gizzu

• Jr. Mage
  • Banana Stickers 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 07, 2014, 07:21:45 AM »
So, supposed that you are Mage B, yes, you will take damage.

Your opponent can reveal Magebane during Step 2.

CYA,
G.

Sylex

• New Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
  • Nobody sees the Wizard! Not nobody, not no how!
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 07, 2014, 07:33:15 AM »
I am led to believe that since the Magebane was revealed AFTER he cast the spell that it does NOT damage him.

Magebane is a tricky card to read though, especially for someone who plays other card games where "cast" and "resolve" may work a little differently.

Since Magebane reads when the opponent casts AND resolves a spell, that would lead me to believe that if said spell is countered that it did not resolve, and therefore Magebane does no damage.

My question is...when is a spell cast, and when does it resolve? Is it cast as soon as you lay it on the table, or as soon as you spend the mana?.....does an enchantment "resolve" when it hits the table, or when it is revealed?

These are all questions that affect the outcome of Magebane, and also all situations I have been in at one time or other. In one of my early games, I had a player tell me that he did not suffer damage when he cast his enchantment, but he did when he revealed it (thus meaning it "resolved") while in another game I had a player take the damage as soon as he played the enchantment face down. I told him about the other player, and he said that was wrong. One could also argue that if you cast an enchantment one turn, and reveal it later that Magebane would not trigger because you did not cast AND resolve in the same turn. I don't think that is correct, but I can see how someone could argue that.

Being an MtG player I am convinced that a spell is "cast" as soon as the card is revealed from the hand, and has "resolved" as soon as it officially enters play meaning as soon as that enchantment hits the table face down and is NOT countered, it has resolved.

jacksmack

• Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 19
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 07, 2014, 08:00:43 AM »
Magebane says casts and resolves.

It must revealed before step 1 in the spell order.

You can in theory reveal as late as the enemy spending the action marker of the mage, but before he declares his action.
However if he wishes to spend a quickcast marker before his action phase its too late to reveal Magebane in order to make him take 1 damage for this spell.

Usually its best revealling mage bane straight away.
The exception could be when you cast it late in the round, and then reveal AFTER next planning phase, but BEFORE quickcast phase.

Enchantments are cast face down. This is when they can be countered, and also when a mage with mage bane can take damage from casting an enchantment.
Revealling does not follow the 3 step spell order, and will not trigger nullify or magebane or the like.

Bonus Info:
When dispelling the magebane the mage takes 1 final damage from magebane - this is often discussed as well.

Shad0w

• Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 07, 2014, 08:43:23 AM »
Two requirements must be met in order for pentagram to receive the mana:

1) An enemy creature must be attacked by a friendly creature.
2) Damage must be dealt by that attack.

First off, magebane is not a creature, and secondly it does not perform an attack. It simply deals direct damage. An attack goes through the 8 steps of combat (though some steps are conditional and do not always apply). They always include rolling attack dice though (at least currently).

Thus, the answer to your question is No, magebane does not trigger pentagram.

^ Correct ^
"Darth come prove to meet you are worthy of the fighting for your school in the arena and not just another scholar to be discarded like an worn out rag doll"

Quote: Shad0w the Arcmage

Shad0w

• Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 07, 2014, 08:45:34 AM »
I will hijack this thread.

Mage A cast a hidden magebane on me.
Mage B cast his own spell¨
Mage A reveald hidden magebane.

Now, did Mage B recieved damage? Our confustion came from the text Each time creature CASTS and resovles spell. Mage A revelad his magebane after casting. Did mage B recieved damage?

1. cast
          - magebane revealed
2. counter
3. resolve

IMO dmg will be dealt, but when a person you are trying to reason is also your opponent, this person often have "logical answer immunity"

Boo  - We have several threads about when enchant can be revealed. You should check them out.

Reveal Enchantment Timing Question-
Magebane-
Enchanment Reveal
-
Enchantment Cast/Reveal/Range/LOS-

I could find more but this is a good base.

If after reading these you have any other question then ask.
« Last Edit: February 07, 2014, 08:57:06 AM by Shad0w »
"Darth come prove to meet you are worthy of the fighting for your school in the arena and not just another scholar to be discarded like an worn out rag doll"

Quote: Shad0w the Arcmage

isel

• Sr. Mage
  • Banana Stickers 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 07, 2014, 08:48:02 AM »
thanks to all, the next time i see that player i throw to his face this link!! thanks buddies

Boocheck

• Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 07, 2014, 09:53:55 AM »
Mr. Shadow,

my bad, i put a wrong words into search and when nothing came up, i ask my question. After filling correct word, my answer was found easily :)

Friday sickness :)
  • Favourite Mage: Bloodwave Warlord
I am one with the force, the force is with me! (Warlord is still my fav mage ;) )