May 03, 2024, 10:45:24 AM

Author Topic: Gerard Matranga or Barracks?  (Read 3007 times)

farkas1

• Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 1
    • View Profile
Gerard Matranga or Barracks?
« on: February 07, 2017, 07:16:12 PM »
Alright I like the idea of having a spawnpoint help with my action effiency such as a barracks. 

I just wonder if anyone has tried to build a book around Gerard in a warlord book?   I have some ideas and played some games with him.  He seems to have two competing sides to his ability.  One he can earn you extra mana for soldiers or he can be used as a conjuration/ high armor killer.  With this he is very tricky and could cost the game if not played well or in my case play him too aggressively.    The one success I had with was just to sit back and unload some lvl 3 and higher soldier creatures.   It worked well it just took a lot of actions to get to feel ok with using him as a weapon.  He is also really great at taking down conjurations so he has that competing for his use as a moving mana crystal.   

I just wonder if he is considered a good alternative to barracks or is the warlords actions enough without a spawnpoint to give more options.   I do run Gurmash with the build so it does have some ways of getting extra actions out.  Any thoughts or experiences with Gerard that you would like to share.
« Last Edit: February 07, 2017, 10:47:34 PM by farkas1 »
  • Favourite Mage: Straywood Beastmaster

Halewijn

• Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 6
    • View Profile
Re: Gerard Matranga or Barracks?
« Reply #1 on: February 08, 2017, 01:30:38 AM »
I have played many games with gerard, but for my siren. In my experience he is pretty amazing. With chant of rage I could make him wreck havok very soon in the game (with ton of piercing) After a couple of rounds I use the gold (5+ mostly) to summon another big creature.

Most opponents kill him afterwards, but at that point he was worth every penny.

As a warlord, Id probably be more defensive and cautious and try to keep him alive longer.
  • Favourite Mage: Bloodwave Warlord
When in doubt kill it with fire? I never doubt and crush them right away.

jacksmack

• Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 19
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 08, 2017, 03:04:32 AM »
Just remember his Gold Tokens cannot be used when a spawnpoint casts a creature. It must be the mage.

Halewijn

• Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 6
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 08, 2017, 05:56:46 AM »
Indeed. I made that mistake first. It's sad that you cannot do that. Nevertheless, I think you can still combine a spawnpoint with gerard if you want. Just cast a biggie with your mage once (or twice if he lives long)
  • Favourite Mage: Bloodwave Warlord
When in doubt kill it with fire? I never doubt and crush them right away.