May 03, 2024, 12:31:30 PM

Author Topic: Out of School Spells?  (Read 2536 times)

farkas1

• Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 1
    • View Profile
Out of School Spells?
« on: October 25, 2016, 02:43:18 PM »

How many out of school spells do you typically run for your books that you think are competitive?  Is there a limit to the amount of points you are willing to spend? 

I know it may be situational per book and per style of play, just curious to hear if some of you have like a range of what you are willing to spend. 

Especially once PvS is out in more hands some of those cards add tons of potential for certain builds but a lot of those useful cards will be out of school for those who want to use them.  For example everyone will most likely run at least 1-2 terrain cards in a tournament.  Now some of those fit in school but for some mages like the wizard, force master, ect.  do not have an in school terrain, so that will add an additional 2-4 for those who want to have a terrain or two. 

I may calculate my books and give an average later as well to give a point of reference.
  • Favourite Mage: Straywood Beastmaster

bigfatchef

• Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
Re: Out of School Spells?
« Reply #1 on: October 25, 2016, 03:06:28 PM »
Without calculating.

There are a lot of staples out of school for many mages:
Dispel, dissolve ... As counters
Flower/crystal ... For mana
Foreball/forcehammer/ ... Anti conjurations
Poisoned blood ... Anti healing
Heal/minor heal/... Healing
Regrowth/elusive/speed/wings ... All nature buffs
Rust/acid ball ... Anti armor
Teleport/push ... Positioning
Armor

There are tons of spells that most books need one out of 1 to 3 possibilities. Whatever your trained school is you take more of some, but still need some others.

Kelanen

• Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 26, 2016, 04:53:04 AM »
I've no idea without going through a few books, but I'd guess 25-40% of my spell points are out of school typically. Mages that have more of the 'need-to-have' utility spells in-school tend to be be better, although that is just one factor of several (Channelling 10 being another).

Halewijn

• Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 6
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 26, 2016, 05:39:08 AM »
Id say around 25% or a bit less of my spellpoints. Novice should be excluded from this.

The more expansions I have, the smaller the portion if out of school spells because more in school, or novice, spells could do the job or offer a different way to counter it. Additionally, with each new expansion there are more things you should be able to counter. So I think these two effects counter each other pretty well for spellbook balance.
  • Favourite Mage: Bloodwave Warlord
When in doubt kill it with fire? I never doubt and crush them right away.

Beldin

• The Craziest
  • Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 17, 2016, 10:43:04 AM »
I am with the guys here on my books, ~30% some cards are staple tools, and I am more likely to build a core book idea then flesh out the toolbox and see where, add in solutions ot major problems and finally cull back to 120 points.

In this game it is about tools to solve problems, if that tool costs say 10-18 spellbook points but negates a problem then it goes in the book. Especially if it seals me the win with it and my opponent wins without it being there.