May 03, 2024, 02:17:37 PM

Author Topic: Domination  (Read 2990 times)

farkas1

• Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 1
    • View Profile
Domination
« on: June 04, 2016, 09:15:47 PM »
First game of Domination!  wizard verse wizard battle, and it was yet again.....another amazing experience!

Domination mode was really fun, and quick.  It gave me more clarity too on specific goals that I wanted to accomplish during the game, as well as make certain traits like fast, slow, and even a double move action really matter.  The movement and orbs made for a very strategic tactical experience.  Still like arena but Domination mode opens up the doors to quicker plays and hopefully more games. 
  • Favourite Mage: Straywood Beastmaster

FruchtYogurt

• New Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
Re: Domination
« Reply #1 on: June 05, 2016, 05:34:40 AM »
Yeah I think so too.
Domination allows many new viable strategies  :) and it feels like the different mage abilities lead to more distinguishable books in domination than in arena, e.g. a VineSnapper zone control Druid, a BM with swarming Birds, a Johktari BM with Cervere, an elusive Goblin Swarm Warlord, a Warlock Buddy build, a DoT + Rise Again Necro, a labyrinth Wizard with gremlins, or any Mage build that goes for the Mage kill (except stalling/slow builds),...
Game durations are shorter as the V'Tar Orbs act as kind of a deadline. Therefore turtle tactics and stalling tactics, which many people do not like to play against, dont seem to be the best choice in Domination.

For now Domination is my favourite game mode!

Moreover I prefer the idea of Mages fighting for power (the V'Tar Orbs) over Mages simply bashing their heads in the arena like gladiators ;-)

Sailor Vulcan

• Secret Identity: Imaginator
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 3
    • View Profile
Domination
« Reply #2 on: June 05, 2016, 06:58:41 AM »
Yeah I think so too.
Domination allows many new viable strategies  :) and it feels like the different mage abilities lead to more distinguishable books in domination than in arena

I have recently discovered from talking to a more skilled spellbook builder than myself that universal auto-include spells actually might not exist, at least not anymore. People go too far outside their training when building their spellbooks when they don't really need to and they don't even realize it. My eyes have been opened to the possibilities, lol.

So that being said, I don't know if domination actually has more potential for unique spellbooks, or if standard arena players are just experiencing some functional fixedness due to the standard metagame being around a lot longer for people to get accustomed to it then domination's metagame has.
« Last Edit: June 05, 2016, 07:02:55 AM by Sailor Vulcan »
  • Favourite Mage: Salenia Forcemaster
I am Sailor Vulcan! Champion of justice and reason! And yes, I am already aware my uniform is considered flashy, unprofessional, and borderline sexually provocative for my species by most intelligent lifeforms. I did not choose this outfit. Shut up.

farkas1

• Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 05, 2016, 12:09:53 PM »
yea interesting.  Not sure, but would make sense seeing that Domination games are faster to play.  You wouldn't have to run the same cards you would normally run in arena.  Quicker games means less cards being used throughout the game.  it may help open up for more experimental builds, using way more out of school spells to build books!
  • Favourite Mage: Straywood Beastmaster

Crow

• New Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 05, 2016, 02:54:03 PM »
Domination is virtually the only way I play, 3 or 4 player, sometimes teams.

It's fast, and it changes which Mages are "strong" and which are "weak".  Tons of fun.