May 17, 2024, 07:26:02 PM

Author Topic: Reverse Magic more questions  (Read 4471 times)

Gewar

• Full Mage
  • Banana Stickers 5
    • View Profile
Reverse Magic more questions
« on: January 22, 2013, 10:08:12 AM »
When this creature is targeted by an incantation or enchantment spell controlled by an opponent, you must reveal Reverse Magic during the Counter Spell Step. You take control of that spell. Redirect it back to the caster, who now becomes the target of the spell. If the spell cannot target the caster, it is countered. Then, destroy Reverse Magic.

Here are some questions (I don't remember someone has ever ask those):
- Are you allowed to see, what enchantment you are reversing?
- [strike]Do you controll that enchantment after it's resolution? Can you reveal it and do you pay it's upkeep cost?[/strike] Yes - you dp
- Who is considered the caster of this spell - owner of Reverse Magic or creature it was attached to?

I've found some answers here http://magewars.com/jsite/forum/general-questions/2024-reverse-magic-and-timing-with-enchantments#2038
"I've seen this spell before - sold in alleys, brothels, and taverns. Men want more life. Always, they want more life."
- Rae Ashar, Wench of the Flying Dragon

Drealin

• Full Mage
  • Banana Stickers 1
    • View Profile
Re: Reverse Magic more questions
« Reply #1 on: January 22, 2013, 01:55:20 PM »
That's a good question, I looked up this thread to try and see if ity would help, but it still ended with some question.

I would think that if you are in control then you should be allowed to see what it is.  But if Reverse Attack means that the original owner remains it's owner, then that should be applied here as well.  Which means you couldn't reveal it.

residualshade

• Jr. Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 22, 2013, 03:18:19 PM »
don't take these as official rulings or anything, but from off the top of my head i would guess the following.

- Do you controll that enchantment after it's resolution? Can you reveal it and do you pay it's upkeep cost?

the effect says you take control period. if it meant until the end of the effect or round it would say so. since you control it you can reveal and pay for it as normal.

at the point of the effect you take control of the spell you can look at what it is. you are allowed to look at unrevealed enchantments you control at anytime you want.

- Who is considered the caster of this spell - owner of Reverse Magic or creature it was attached to?

the caster doesn't change as part of this effect only the controller. so in this regard it would be similar to casting the enchantment on him/herself.

pixelgeek

• Global Moderator
  • Sr. Mage
  • Banana Stickers 2
    • View Profile
    • Zac's Gaming Blog
« Reply #3 on: January 22, 2013, 03:52:58 PM »
Quote from: "Gewar" post=6604

Not unless it is revealed. You actually have no choice as Reverse Magic has a red Reveal cost and it must be revealed when the trigger condition is met.

- Do you controll that enchantment after it's resolution? Can you reveal it and do you pay it's upkeep cost?

Yes. Reverse Magic states that you control the spell.

[strike]Once Reverse Magic is triggered you take control of the spell and are considered to be casting it using the original mana paid for the spell.[/strike] Not entirely sure of this myself but I suspect that the controller only changes not the caster.
  • Favourite Mage: Adramelech Warlock
Arcane Wonders Web Guy
Problem with the forums or website?

Send me a PM

Words to live by: I commit strongly to defending my wand.   Precisely so that I don't lose it.

residualshade

• Jr. Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 22, 2013, 04:07:41 PM »
Are you sure about that last part pixel. That doesn't seem right. Reverse magic simple appears to be changing the target of the effect. If you are supposed to be considered the caster I would think the wording would be similar to shift enchantments. If this proved true then you would have a rather odd situation where a priestess reversing a holy spell would gain life. That doesn't seem right.

pixelgeek

• Global Moderator
  • Sr. Mage
  • Banana Stickers 2
    • View Profile
    • Zac's Gaming Blog
« Reply #5 on: January 22, 2013, 05:42:01 PM »
I need to look up another topic. I am not entirely sure of an earlier ruling regarding Reverse Magic and Teleport.
  • Favourite Mage: Adramelech Warlock
Arcane Wonders Web Guy
Problem with the forums or website?

Send me a PM

Words to live by: I commit strongly to defending my wand.   Precisely so that I don't lose it.

Gewar

• Full Mage
  • Banana Stickers 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 23, 2013, 10:33:03 AM »
http://magewars.com/jsite/forum/general-questions/2024-reverse-magic-and-timing-with-enchantments#2038 here I've found the answer to the question of, how long are you considered controller of reversed enchantment. It appears, that this effect lasts until the ond of the game (you can reveal enchantment and you have to pay it's upkeep cost).
But what it means to Warlock's Curseweaving ability?
CURSEWEAVING
Once per round, if a creature is destroyed that has 1 or more curse spells you control attached to it, you may return one of those spells to your spellbook, instead of placing it in your discard pile.

Let's say Felella is casting curse on Warlock, but he uses Reverse Magic. Than Felella dies. Does the attached curse goes to the Warlock's spellbook?

"Who is considered the caster of given spell?" is important for spells like Drain Life. If caster is not changed, it makes Drain Life first deal damage than heal the same Mage.

Not unless it is revealed. You actually have no choice as Reverse Magic has a red Reveal cost and it must be revealed when the trigger condition is met.

I mean, after revealing and paying the cost of Reverse Magic, but before resolving reversed spell. I think you can, since you have to determine, if new target is legal.
"I've seen this spell before - sold in alleys, brothels, and taverns. Men want more life. Always, they want more life."
- Rae Ashar, Wench of the Flying Dragon

residualshade

• Jr. Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 23, 2013, 01:02:55 PM »
hmm. thats another good question. i dont think enchantment targeting legality is checked until reveal.

HeatStryke

• Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 23, 2013, 03:31:07 PM »
First, if you're asking can I put my opponent's curse in my spell book I'd say no, it's not your card in the first place. Ownership trumps control in this case.

I'd also say that after you activate Reverse Magic and pay all costs you'd have to look to see if it was legal before continuing.