May 02, 2024, 07:28:51 PM

Author Topic: ADMW Winter Special - OCTGN Tournament  (Read 199668 times)

Coshade

• Arcane Duels Host
  • Administrator
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 6
    • View Profile
    • Arcane Duels!
Re: ADMW Winter Special - OCTGN Tournament'
« Reply #135 on: January 13, 2017, 02:48:31 PM »
When will last weekend's videos be out?

Just released 2 today! We're getting to the videos as time permits!
Yeah no rush. Waiting to see how badly I played is FINE😀

;D ;D ;D :'(
  • Favourite Mage: Malakai Priest

Enti

• Full Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
Re: ADMW Winter Special - OCTGN Tournament
« Reply #136 on: January 14, 2017, 08:34:13 AM »
I'd like a short talk about the tournament from the organizers and maybe a guest. About how it is going, if the expectations are met, etc - some commentary! Like they do on tv :p

/edit: Stuff you could talk about:
- most exciting matches so far
- biggest surprises
- featured matches that are coming up in the future (following week)
- cards that (unexpectedly) performed well or are played more frequent than expected
- a bit of analysis in general

I second! :)

Coshade, Schwenkgott, anybody?

atljr17

• Jr. Mage
  • Banana Stickers 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #137 on: January 14, 2017, 10:19:52 AM »
Atljr17 defeats Leggybl0nde a Druid vs Druid matchup! Was good game leggy was very respectful and friendly! Much respect to you and good luck in tourney.

atljr17

• Jr. Mage
  • Banana Stickers 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #138 on: January 14, 2017, 10:39:28 AM »
Michaelj1297 is my next matchup. Anyone have his contact info?

Coshade

• Arcane Duels Host
  • Administrator
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 6
    • View Profile
    • Arcane Duels!
« Reply #139 on: January 14, 2017, 05:38:13 PM »
***Announcement***

Michaelj1297 has dropped form the tournament. everyone in the group will receive a win.

***Thanks ****

RomeoXero

• Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 6
    • View Profile
« Reply #140 on: January 14, 2017, 05:42:13 PM »
I'm good for a match Sunday after 7 or Monday before 5. Amy one in my group looking for a match? Sorry about my creaky schedule lately
  • Favourite Mage: Wychwood Druid
I love this game. Its awesome!

Werekingdom

• Full Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #141 on: January 14, 2017, 07:45:50 PM »
Werekingdom vs Rant (P00pstar)

The 15th at 3pm pst

Looking for recorder and judge if anyone is available.
Kill with Tanglevine

theasaris

• Playtester
  • Full Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #142 on: January 15, 2017, 04:33:17 AM »
I'd be willing to step in for Michaelj1297.

aridigas

• Playtester
  • Full Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #143 on: January 15, 2017, 06:27:43 AM »
I'm good for a match Sunday after 7 or Monday before 5. Amy one in my group looking for a match? Sorry about my creaky schedule lately

After 7 in which time zone? I'm free to start a game for the next few hours.
Go group B!

RomeoXero

• Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 6
    • View Profile
« Reply #144 on: January 15, 2017, 07:35:24 AM »
EST. Its 8 35 as of this post here
  • Favourite Mage: Wychwood Druid
I love this game. Its awesome!

Coshade

• Arcane Duels Host
  • Administrator
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 6
    • View Profile
    • Arcane Duels!
« Reply #145 on: January 15, 2017, 08:41:01 PM »
Got some new videos uploaded on the front. Great games everyone. Looks like a few groups will be finishing up soon. Let's keep getting some games in!

Sailor Vulcan

• Secret Identity: Imaginator
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 3
    • View Profile
ADMW Winter Special - OCTGN Tournament
« Reply #146 on: January 15, 2017, 10:06:25 PM »
Just started watching werekingdom vs Grimmbart. Noticed the sticky note that werekingdom brought with him to the game to remind himself of what his openings were. Is that allowed? It seems like cheating. If someone did that at an official offline tournament they'd be disqualified right? And if it was allowed here I'm sure everyone would be doing it and they're not. Something like that needs to be spelled out BEFORE the tournament starts. Otherwise the players who do bring notes with them into their matches gain an unfair advantage over those who don't. Am I missing something here?
« Last Edit: January 15, 2017, 10:11:18 PM by Sailor Vulcan »
  • Favourite Mage: Salenia Forcemaster
I am Sailor Vulcan! Champion of justice and reason! And yes, I am already aware my uniform is considered flashy, unprofessional, and borderline sexually provocative for my species by most intelligent lifeforms. I did not choose this outfit. Shut up.

Puddnhead

• Member of Arcane Duels; MageCast Co-host
  • Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 8
    • View Profile
« Reply #147 on: January 15, 2017, 10:13:31 PM »
Just started watching werekingdom vs Grimmbart. Noticed the sticky note that werekingdom brought with him to the game to remind himself of what his openings were. Is that allowed? It seems like cheating. If someone did that at an official offline tournament they'd be disqualified right? And if it was allowed here I'm sure everyone would be doing it and they're not. Something like that needs to be spelled out BEFORE the tournament starts. Otherwise the players who do bring notes with them into their matches gain an unfair advantage over those who don't. Am I missing something here?

I don't see how it's an unfair advantage.  You've made a plan that you'd like to execute and you're just reminding yourself what you wanted to do.  It's not a printout of the other person's spellbook or extra cards or anything.

Also, as you know from watching the video the plan gets derailed rather quickly.  At that point it might be a liability if you stick to a plan that doesn't have contingencies in it.

zot

• Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #148 on: January 15, 2017, 10:16:28 PM »
in irl matches like gen con, i do not recall any injunction against something like this. it is a crutch for memory for his own mage, not info on his opponent for example. it does not give him any special insight beyond a reminder text. i can understand your viewpoint however. because, there is no guarantee that his note is just for himself. i could contain insights on his opponent, tendencies etc. however since this is online, such notes could easilly be handwritten next to him and you would not know. not sure how it can be prevented here.

come to think of it, in a irl match, something like that is easier to catch as a judge. perhaps grizzly can chime in as he has been a head judge for several tournaments.

Sailor Vulcan

• Secret Identity: Imaginator
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 3
    • View Profile
ADMW Winter Special - OCTGN Tournament
« Reply #149 on: January 15, 2017, 10:21:56 PM »

I don't see how it's an unfair advantage.  You've made a plan that you'd like to execute and you're just reminding yourself what you wanted to do.  It's not a printout of the other person's spellbook or extra cards or anything.

Well, because most people don't use sticky notes and are relying on memory and on how well they know their book in order to make the right play. And most people probably didn't realize that they could bring strategy notes into a tournament match. If someone needs notes it's probably because they didn't practice enough or don't know their book well enough to know what they should do in the moment and adapt accordingly to what their opponent is doing. So just to be clear, does this mean it's okay to write notes on the back of my hand to help me in tournament games at gen con? I'm pretty sure if it's not allowed at gen con then it shouldn't be allowed in ADMW especially if the players aren't told about it explicitly ahead of time. This is common sense. The logic doesn't change just because you're playing online instead of at a convention.

I've lost track of the number of times players have tried to cheat by using the online interface as an excuse to ignore common sense and pretend to themselves that they're not cheating. For example when people don't roll enough dice for their attack, and they think that means they can reroll ALL the dice including the ones they've already rolled even without akiro's favor or divine challenge. And no matter how many times I tell people that they can't do that they still keep doing it anyways.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
« Last Edit: January 15, 2017, 10:27:44 PM by Sailor Vulcan »
I am Sailor Vulcan! Champion of justice and reason! And yes, I am already aware my uniform is considered flashy, unprofessional, and borderline sexually provocative for my species by most intelligent lifeforms. I did not choose this outfit. Shut up.