May 04, 2024, 08:12:47 PM

Author Topic: So this is a cool interview.  (Read 5409 times)

silverclawgrizzly

• Charlotte Mage Warrior
  • Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 4
    • View Profile
So this is a cool interview.
« on: June 21, 2016, 09:55:13 AM »
Bryan Pope did an interview at Origins. Some of you might find it interesting:

http://gamer-goggles.com/blog/words-with-bryan-pope-origins-2016-11882/
  • Favourite Mage: Straywood Beastmaster
What we must all remember is no matter the game we were all newbies at one point.

farkas1

• Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 1
    • View Profile
Re: So this is a cool interview.
« Reply #1 on: June 21, 2016, 10:43:03 AM »
Thanks for the interview.  I love when he talks..... giving away so much juicy bits of info about future expansions!!!!
Can't wait for paladin and siren.

It also sounds like Arcane Wonders are on a creative resurgence and have a lot coming out in the near future.  Hopefully we see this re-energizes the community  and brings more new players into Mage Wars.
  • Favourite Mage: Straywood Beastmaster

jhaelen

• Full Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 23, 2016, 02:37:19 AM »
Bryan Pope did an interview at Origins. Some of you might find it interesting:

http://gamer-goggles.com/blog/words-with-bryan-pope-origins-2016-11882/
urks, it's a video  :-[ Can't watch these...

Could someone perhaps summarize (some of) the high points?

Halewijn

• Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 6
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 23, 2016, 05:39:23 AM »
Watched it 2 days ago so I might forget something. But here are the highlights I remember:

1) Paladin will have some sort of RPG leveling system. He has valor tokens (auras) with on each side a power/ability/improvement, by doing certain things he can take earn these tokens and choose a side. The power on the other side will not be available for the rest of the game. By choosing different combinations you can make different builds.

2) They have artwork for a mount for the paladin, but will not include it in the set. Mounts will be introduced in a set in the future. (Not only for the paladin but for every mage) Mounts can be, but are not limited to horses.

3) As mentioned before, the siren is trained in songs. Songs can be from every school.
  • Favourite Mage: Bloodwave Warlord
When in doubt kill it with fire? I never doubt and crush them right away.

iNano78

• Ambassador
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 4
  • Playing face-to-face in Ottawa again soon
    • View Profile
    • Ottawa/Gatineau Mage Wars (FB group)
« Reply #4 on: June 23, 2016, 05:57:27 AM »
Watched it 2 days ago so I might forget something. But here are the highlights I remember:

1) Paladin will have some sort of RPG leveling system. He has valor tokens (auras) with on each side a power/ability/improvement, by doing certain things he can take earn these tokens and choose a side. The power on the other side will not be available for the rest of the game. By choosing different combinations you can make different builds.

Sounded to me like the Paladin gains "valour" for doing heroic deeds, like attacking the "strongest" creature or spending a guard token to protect a friendly creature  in his zone. Then he can spend "valour" to gain "Auras", which are double-sided tokens that can't go away. Since they're double-sided, he has to choose one (that might be a level 1 aura) and can't change his mind in a given match, and the next one he chooses might have a prerequisite, so it might lock him into a certain aura upgrade tree. Think Diablo II.

They have artwork for a mount for the paladin, but will not include it in the set. Mounts will be introduced in a set in the future. (Not only for the paladin but for every mage) Mounts can be, but are not limited to horses.

Bryan mentioned a winged Pegasus, possibly a dragon, etc. I could imagine a dinosaur for a Beastmaster and a pig for the Dwarf Warlord (not mentioned by Bryan, just speculating). Sounded like they've pretty much designed them all already but decided to put them in the "very next expansion after PvS" so I'm guessing it will be the next Battlegrounds expansion... which might not be Archmage then (?).

3) As mentioned before, the siren is trained in songs. Songs can be from every school.

And it sounded like most mages have a relatively small selection of song spells available, while the Siren is trained in all songs.

And then there's Grapple. It's a keyword on cards including the Kraken (!) and a giant crab that is like Force Crush that makes a creature stuck and takes direct damage. And at least in the Kraken's case, it's combined with Snatch, so the Kraken can grab a creature from a neighbouring zone and hold onto it and crush it using "Grapple."  Sounds awesome to me. Oh, and something about Leviathan.
« Last Edit: June 23, 2016, 06:03:21 AM by iNano78 »
  • Favourite Mage: Salenia Forcemaster

jhaelen

• Full Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 24, 2016, 02:01:51 AM »
Thanks!

I have to admit I'm intrigued by these Paladin 'quests'. I'm not sure how viable such a system is for a competitve environment, but for casual play it sounds great.
Bryan mentioned a winged Pegasus, possibly a dragon, etc.
OMG, flying mages?! Now, that would be quite something...

Brian VanAlstyne

• Sr. Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 25, 2016, 10:22:33 PM »
There was another interview done with Dice Tower at Origins and AW mentioned that Academy mages will start coming out once a quarter and the next 4 are already set to be printed and will be ready to go. Should we just assume they're the next 4 mages that were released for Arena or do we think there might be an Academy mage for a non-released Arena mage?

My personal guess for the next 4: Warlord, Necro, Forcemaster or Siren, and maybe Barbarian. I don't think it'll be a Druid just yet because I think school wise, Nature might actually be the deepest school at the moment.

Knabbmaster

• Full Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 27, 2016, 06:33:05 AM »
I would assume that the next two academy mages will be trained in mind and war schools. But I do not think it is going to be the forcemaster or the  warlord since the FM is movement focused and the warlord likes to conquer the arena. And Arcane Wonders did mention something about brand new mages in academy. So maybe we will se Barbarian followed by Illusionist... ::)
  • Favourite Mage: Darkfenne Necromancer

Boocheck

• Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 27, 2016, 07:19:01 AM »
Academy mages will start coming out once a quarter and the next 4 are already set to be printed and will be ready to go.

Nope, what Mr. Pope was sayng was: We have already four more in the develompent almost ready to go to print right now.

There is a differnce :)
I am one with the force, the force is with me! (Warlord is still my fav mage ;) )

Brian VanAlstyne

• Sr. Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 27, 2016, 09:18:28 AM »
What is the difference?

Sailor Vulcan

• Secret Identity: Imaginator
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 27, 2016, 10:23:37 AM »
I would assume that the next two academy mages will be trained in mind and war schools. But I do not think it is going to be the forcemaster or the  warlord since the FM is movement focused and the warlord likes to conquer the arena. And Arcane Wonders did mention something about brand new mages in academy. So maybe we will se Barbarian followed by Illusionist... ::)

The forcemaster isn't just movement focused, and neither is the warlord just focused on area control. You should check out the theory-crafting thread about the Academy forcemaster.
  • Favourite Mage: Salenia Forcemaster
I am Sailor Vulcan! Champion of justice and reason! And yes, I am already aware my uniform is considered flashy, unprofessional, and borderline sexually provocative for my species by most intelligent lifeforms. I did not choose this outfit. Shut up.

Boocheck

• Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 27, 2016, 11:15:26 AM »
What is the difference?

Set to be printed seems like that those 4 mages are completed and they are already send to the printer just waiting in production line. :)
I am one with the force, the force is with me! (Warlord is still my fav mage ;) )