May 03, 2024, 10:01:44 PM

Author Topic: Gen Con Tournament - Your Feedback is Needed!  (Read 7454 times)

Toxziq

• Full Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
  • "Now... bring me that horizon..."
    • View Profile
    • Crits Happen
Gen Con Tournament - Your Feedback is Needed!
« on: April 07, 2015, 01:21:50 PM »
Hello fellow Mages of Etheria!

The time for our annual Gen Con tournament has come and we are working on setting up the details with the Gen Con events team.  This year, we will have a 32 seat tournament, with swiss rounds, cutting to the top 4.  As last year, rounds will be 75 minutes long.  The point system will be the same as well:

Outcome   Match Points
Match Win:  4
Modified Win:  3
Draw: 1
Match Loss: 0

Match Win: Opponent mage is dealt lethal damage, i.e. the amount of Damage either equals or exceeds their Life total.
Modified Win: In the event that neither player has attained a Match Win when time is called, the player with the greatest difference between Life total and Damage is awarded the Modified Win. If there is no clear Modified Win, both players will receive a Draw.
Draw: If a Modified Win is awarded, the player with the lower difference between Life total and Damage is awarded a Draw.

Given 5 rounds of 75 minutes, along with time in between rounds, we're expecting the tournament to last roughly 7-8 hours to get to the cut of the top 4.  The top 4 will then play each other in a single elimination style bracket, with the same outcomes listed above and we expect those two matches, and the finals, to take an additional 4 hours total.  The finals will be allotted 2 hours for the final two competitors to play.  This means the tournament is best held over two days.

We plan on hosting the tournament on either Friday, with the top 4 and finals on Saturday, or hosting on Saturday, with the top 4 and finals on Sunday.  What we need from you, as players and fans, is a preference of what two days are better as we want to be cognizant of you time at Gen Con as well. Please leave a comment below and let us know if you prefer Friday/Saturday, or Saturday/Sunday.

Thank you, as always, for your support, and we look forward to seeing you at the best 4 days in gaming this year, Gen Con 2015!

PS - Due to the release of Battlegrounds Domination, the spell cards from it will be tournament legal at the time of Gen Con!
« Last Edit: April 07, 2015, 01:24:45 PM by Toxziq »
  • Favourite Mage: Anvil Throne Warlord

scythe0925

• New Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
Re: Gen Con Tournament - Your Feedback is Needed!
« Reply #1 on: April 07, 2015, 01:26:55 PM »
Will be hard to choose when I am not sure what events I am going to get into yet. But I would vote Sat/Sun by default.

DaveW

• Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 09, 2015, 08:09:06 PM »
If I were to vote (and I guess I am)... I'd say let's do it Friday with finals on Saturday. That way I know that I'll not schedule anything else on Friday and that I'll have all day to play whatever else... since I won't be in the finals :)
  • Favourite Mage: Asyra Priestess

Sailor Vulcan

• Secret Identity: Imaginator
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 10, 2015, 01:12:51 AM »

If I were to vote (and I guess I am)... I'd say let's do it Friday with finals on Saturday. That way I know that I'll not schedule anything else on Friday and that I'll have all day to play whatever else... since I won't be in the finals :)

Not with that attitude you won't be. You are a proud mage warrior, and not just a stepping stone for all the more experienced fighters! When you fight, you fight to win, even if the odds are heavily stacked against you, even if you're certain that victory is unattainable. Otherwise you're not going to put up as much of a challenge as you could be.
  • Favourite Mage: Salenia Forcemaster
I am Sailor Vulcan! Champion of justice and reason! And yes, I am already aware my uniform is considered flashy, unprofessional, and borderline sexually provocative for my species by most intelligent lifeforms. I did not choose this outfit. Shut up.

Boocheck

• Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 10, 2015, 03:03:42 AM »

Not with that attitude you won't be. You are a proud mage warrior, and not just a stepping stone for all the more experienced fighters! When you fight, you fight to win, even if the odds are heavily stacked against you, even if you're certain that victory is unattainable. Otherwise you're not going to put up as much of a challenge as you could be.

If DaveW means David West, brother of Alexander West, you got yourself in an akward position :D
  • Favourite Mage: Bloodwave Warlord
I am one with the force, the force is with me! (Warlord is still my fav mage ;) )

DaveW

• Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 10, 2015, 10:46:18 AM »
No... different DaveW. To be honest, I played last year and had 8 points in the first two rounds... but had to drop out because I wasn't anticipating a multiple day event.

Schwenkgott

• Thunderdome
  • Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 10, 2015, 12:57:27 PM »
Play the prematches on OCTGN and just play the Semifinal and Final on GenCon :)
Akiro, I have never prayed to you before. No one will remember if we were good men or bad. Why we fought, or why we died. All that matters is that one stood against many. That's what's important! Valor pleases you, Akiro... so grant me strength! And if you do not listen, then to HELL with you!

Sailor Vulcan

• Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 10, 2015, 01:13:52 PM »

But then how would they ensure that players owned the cards they said they did? Unless players are allowed to switch to a different spellbook for the semifinal and final?
I am Sailor Vulcan! Champion of justice and reason! And yes, I am already aware my uniform is considered flashy, unprofessional, and borderline sexually provocative for my species by most intelligent lifeforms. I did not choose this outfit. Shut up.

ACG

• Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 10, 2015, 01:33:42 PM »

But then how would they ensure that players owned the cards they said they did? Unless players are allowed to switch to a different spellbook for the semifinal and final?

Is it important that they do? Mage Wars is not collectible, so a player's "collection" is not really the same factor as it might be in a ccg; is there another reason to require that players own the cards that they are using, as long as their spellbooks are legal?

Sailor Vulcan

• Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 11, 2015, 09:06:59 AM »

Is it important that they do? Mage Wars is not collectible, so a player's "collection" is not really the same factor as it might be in a ccg; is there another reason to require that players own the cards that they are using, as long as their spellbooks are legal?

Since the finals and semifinals would take place in person, they would need the actual cards for that.

DaveW

• Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 11, 2015, 11:58:24 AM »
If you are going to run the first several rounds on Octgn, why not do all of it there? Why bother having tournaments at cons when you can just run them on Octgn?

silverclawgrizzly

• Charlotte Mage Warrior
  • Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 08, 2015, 10:38:18 AM »
Oh just saw this. I'll be judging in this event. The best way to do this would be to hold it Friday and finals on Saturday. That makes it simpler as most people are leaving on Sunday.
  • Favourite Mage: Straywood Beastmaster
What we must all remember is no matter the game we were all newbies at one point.

V10lentray

• Member of Arcane Duels
  • Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 08, 2015, 01:08:44 PM »
That requires a large block of time scheduled for friday. If you have 4 rounds, that's almost 7-8 hours factoring in deck reg, deck checks, and what not. There shold also be a 30 minute slot for food scheduled in there.

Saturday could be either the Top 8 or the Top 4 based on total attendance. I think if we have over 32 players in the Tournament we should have a single elim top 8.
  • Favourite Mage: Wychwood Druid