May 06, 2024, 05:02:13 AM

Author Topic: Bashcon 2014  (Read 29668 times)

Zuberi

• Rules Guru
  • Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 57
    • View Profile
Re: Bashcon 2014
« Reply #60 on: February 17, 2014, 10:10:43 PM »
If you are talking about annotating the specific moves made during a game, there has been talk about a system for that, but you are correct it wouldn't be too simple. I myself posted a quite detailed solution that is semi functional but isn't really very practical.

Shad0w

• Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: February 18, 2014, 08:12:34 AM »
Still looking for feedback.  8)
"Darth come prove to meet you are worthy of the fighting for your school in the arena and not just another scholar to be discarded like an worn out rag doll"

Quote: Shad0w the Arcmage

JollyRahjer

• Playtester
  • New Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: February 19, 2014, 05:09:31 PM »

*Turns amp all the way up, plays a power chord, and finally holds the guitar up to the amp.

Shad0w

• Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: February 19, 2014, 05:34:16 PM »

*Turns amp all the way up, plays a power chord, and finally holds the guitar up to the amp.

Not the most helpful of feedback
"Darth come prove to meet you are worthy of the fighting for your school in the arena and not just another scholar to be discarded like an worn out rag doll"

Wildhorn

• Superior artificial brain, feel free to call me Blaine.
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 3
    • View Profile
    • Mage Wars Quebec
« Reply #64 on: February 19, 2014, 05:45:39 PM »

Not the most helpful of feedback

What about this kind of feedback?   ::)

Sailor Vulcan

• Secret Identity: Imaginator
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: March 17, 2014, 11:39:56 AM »
What about voice recorders? If players announce every move they make, then the voice recorder will make the game log from that. Simply label the rows and columns of the arena and pause the recorder during the planning phase.
  • Favourite Mage: Salenia Forcemaster
I am Sailor Vulcan! Champion of justice and reason! And yes, I am already aware my uniform is considered flashy, unprofessional, and borderline sexually provocative for my species by most intelligent lifeforms. I did not choose this outfit. Shut up.

Shad0w

• Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: March 17, 2014, 12:53:16 PM »
What about voice recorders? If players announce every move they make, then the voice recorder will make the game log from that. Simply label the rows and columns of the arena and pause the recorder during the planning phase.

How would you enforce that all player bring a voice recorder?
What about reviewing a game how would this be done in a timely manner without slowing down the rest for the games?

Sailor Vulcan

• Secret Identity: Imaginator
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 3
    • View Profile
Bashcon 2014
« Reply #67 on: March 17, 2014, 02:41:24 PM »
Sell voice recorders to players as part of tournament registration (assuming they don't already have one)

If you need to review the game log mid game for whatever reason, you'll need to rewind to the correct round and stage, then after you're done reviewing continue the recording where the game left off.
« Last Edit: March 17, 2014, 02:43:06 PM by Imaginator »
  • Favourite Mage: Salenia Forcemaster
I am Sailor Vulcan! Champion of justice and reason! And yes, I am already aware my uniform is considered flashy, unprofessional, and borderline sexually provocative for my species by most intelligent lifeforms. I did not choose this outfit. Shut up.

wtcannonjr

• Ambassador of Wychwood
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 3
    • View Profile
    • WBC Mage Wars Tournament
« Reply #68 on: March 23, 2014, 09:55:41 AM »
Let me know what you think I am looking for feedback before our next event @ Origins Game Fair 2014

I loved the reports. I really got excited and into rooting for my favorite mage. Being able to see the spell books that was used is really cool too as I can try to imagine how the matches went and what challenges they could pose for each other. I really wish I could have seen the actual matches. With that in mind I have two suggestions:

1) recordings of the matches. I don't honestly expect this to happen as it would require equipment, labor, and probably legal waivers.

2) commentary on the matches. Again I guess this is unreasonable because you can't really watch all of the matches to give us a detailed report, but I'm dying to know how things actually went down, lol.

Other than those very unreasonable suggestions, I think you did a very good job keeping us informed about how the tournament was going. Who played what, who played against whom, who won, what else could we really ask for? Thank you so much Shad0w.

One simple method to collecting commentary on the matches is to provide each board a commentary card. Players are asked up front to discuss the match at the end and record their answers to a basic question or two. Each player can have a different response for the same question. some examples are:
1. What was the turning point in the battle?
2. Why did mage x win?
3. Why did mage y lose?
4. What would you have done differently as mage X/Y?

The tournament director would then have content available at the end of the event to provide highlights for select matches along with any notes collected personally while observing the matches.
  • Favourite Mage: Wychwood Druid
"Not everything that is faced can be changed, but nothing can be changed until it is faced." - James Baldwin