May 03, 2024, 02:49:41 PM

Author Topic: My Unorthodox Decks Thread  (Read 2719 times)

Milevan_Faent

• Full Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
My Unorthodox Decks Thread
« on: August 07, 2016, 05:54:15 PM »
Hi all! So, it was pointed out to me that I have a habit of making VERY unorthodox decks. They asked if I would post them up here to share with the community and to get feedback. So I said, sure, why not. Here are the results of my boredom, where I go through OCTGN, pick random trait X, and try to build an entire deck around that one thing. This could be something as simple as "walls" or "traps", or something as weird and complex as my "Flexible Creatures" deck turned out to be. Each deck will get it's own post, and I'll modify this post with links to them if this thread gets big enough. So, with that said, lets start with a few of them for now.

Milevan_Faent

• Full Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
Re: My Unorthodox Decks Thread
« Reply #1 on: August 07, 2016, 06:04:40 PM »
Hoping this actually works. The idea behind this deck is pretty simple, in theory, but turned out to be a bit of a pain to make in practice. As many cards as possible can do more than 1 thing, letting each of them provide multiple options. So, for every 1 card I play, I get at least 2 different options, if not more where possible.

The Starting Setup cards are in no particular order in the deck, but I usually would start with a Sunfire Amulet turn 1 atleast, and decide on which of the other three based on the situation I'm up against.

[spellbook]
[spellbookheader]
[spellbookname]Flexible Creatures[/spellbookname]
[mage]A Johktari Beastmaster Spellbook[/mage]
[mage]built by the OCTGN SBB[/mage]
[/spellbookheader]
[spells]
[spellclass]Starting Setup[/spellclass]
[mwcard=MWSTX1CKQ02]1 x Hunting Bow[/mwcard]
[mwcard=MWPROMO53]1 x Gloves of Skill[/mwcard]
[mwcard=MWA01Q05]1 x Packleader's Cowl[/mwcard]
[mwcard=MWSTX1CKQ01]1 x Sunfire Amulet[/mwcard]
[spellclass]Conjuration[/spellclass]
[mwcard=DNJ02]3 x Corrosive Orchid[/mwcard]
[spellclass]Creature[/spellclass]
[mwcard=MWPROMO56]1 x Asto Vidatu, Angel Slayer[/mwcard]
[mwcard=MWSTX2FFC10]1 x Sardonyx, Blight of the Living[/mwcard]
[mwcard=MWSTX2FFC06]2 x Goblin Alchemist[/mwcard]
[mwcard=FWC10]1 x Ludwig Boltstorm[/mwcard]
[mwcard=FWC14]1 x Sir Corazin, Blademaster[/mwcard]
[mwcard=DNC16]3 x Spitting Raptor[/mwcard]
[mwcard=MWSTX1CKC05]2 x Screech Harpy[/mwcard]
[mwcard=MW1C09]1 x Darkfenne Hydra[/mwcard]
[mwcard=MWSTX1CKC09]2 x Giant Wolf Spider[/mwcard]
[mwcard=MWBG1C02]1 x Oscuda[/mwcard]
[spellclass]Enchantment[/spellclass]
[mwcard=MW1E21]1 x Hawkeye[/mwcard]
[mwcard=MW1E28]1 x Mongoose Agility[/mwcard]
[mwcard=MWSTX2FFE04]2 x Brace Yourself[/mwcard]
[mwcard=MWSTX1CKE04]2 x Enchantment Transfusion[/mwcard]
[mwcard=MW1E29]2 x Nullify[/mwcard]
[spellclass]Equipment[/spellclass]
[mwcard=MWPROMO51]1 x Spiked Armor[/mwcard]
[spellclass]Attack[/spellclass]
[spellclass]Incantation[/spellclass]
[/spells]
[cost]Total cost: 120 pts[/cost]
[/spellbook]

Milevan_Faent

• Full Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 07, 2016, 06:11:20 PM »
This is my Incorporeal Wizard. As much as I'd love to make MYSELF incorporeal, this is actually about using as many Incorporeal cards as i could squeeze into the deck. Which, though I haven't had a chance to test it since I made it, should be scarily effective. Why? Because my creatures are mostly immune to the damage the other cards would otherwise inflict on them! I ALWAYS would start with dropping my Fire Elemental. This thing is 100% immune to everything else I do. I then start going around the map dropping as many walls and poison clouds as I can. If the enemy actually gets close enough to me to be a threat, I'd go to the nearest corner and wall myself in with Force Wall, then start sending out my Wraiths which can go right over it to deal with them. If it's ever safe again, I just pop on my climbing boots and go back to work turning the entire map into a death trap. While hiding in my walls, I'd also take the time to put on my equipment if I didn't have chances to while setting up my death traps. The Wind Spirits are there to push the enemy INTO said death traps, even if they don't wanna go through them. And both the Wraiths and Fire Elemental can completely bypass all those traps, while even the Wind Spirits are mostly immune thanks to Incorporeal. If they can work their way through all that, I still have my Lighting Attack spells to finish them off.

EDIT: So, I've tried him out finally, and he has some issues, so I'll be looking into alternatives.

[spellbook]
[spellbookheader]
[spellbookname]Incorporeal Wizard[/spellbookname]
[mage]A Wizard (Air) Spellbook[/mage]
[mage]built by the OCTGN SBB[/mage]
[/spellbookheader]
[spells]
[spellclass]Attack[/spellclass]
[mwcard=MWBG1W01]4 x Wall of Force[/mwcard]
[mwcard=MW1W03]4 x Wall of Fire[/mwcard]
[mwcard=MWPROMO54]4 x Wall of Poison Gas[/mwcard]
[mwcard=MW1J18]4 x Poison Gas Cloud[/mwcard]
[mwcard=MW1A07]2 x Lightning Bolt[/mwcard]
[spellclass]Conjuration[/spellclass]
[mwcard=MW1J14]1 x Mana Syphon[/mwcard]
[mwcard=MWSTX2FFJ06]1 x Rolling Fog[/mwcard]
[spellclass]Creature[/spellclass]
[mwcard=DNC04]2 x Grey Wraith[/mwcard]
[mwcard=MW1C40]2 x Whirling Spirit[/mwcard]
[mwcard=MWPROMO41]2 x Fire Elemental[/mwcard]
[spellclass]Equipment[/spellclass]
[mwcard=MWSTX1CKQ06]1 x Eagleclaw Boots[/mwcard]
[mwcard=MW1Q33]1 x Wind Wyvern Hide[/mwcard]
[mwcard=MW1Q07]1 x Elemental Cloak[/mwcard]
[mwcard=MW1Q22]1 x Moonglow Amulet[/mwcard]
[mwcard=MW1Q17]1 x Lightning Ring[/mwcard]
[mwcard=MWPROMO28]1 x Staff of Storms[/mwcard]
[mwcard=MW1Q08]1 x Elemental Wand[/mwcard]
[mwcard=MWA01Q10]1 x Wychwood Ironvine[/mwcard]
[spellclass]Incantation[/spellclass]
[mwcard=MWPROMO6]1 x Clear Mind[/mwcard]
[mwcard=MW1I20]1 x Purify[/mwcard]
[mwcard=MW1I21]1 x Purge Magic[/mwcard]
[mwcard=MWPRO1]2 x Dispel[/mwcard]
[mwcard=MW1I28]1 x Teleport[/mwcard]
[mwcard=FWI16]2 x Dissolve[/mwcard]
[spellclass]Enchantment[/spellclass]
[/spells]
[cost]Total cost: 120 pts[/cost]
[/spellbook]
« Last Edit: August 07, 2016, 08:14:05 PM by Milevan_Faent »

iNano78

• Ambassador
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 4
  • Playing face-to-face in Ottawa again soon
    • View Profile
    • Ottawa/Gatineau Mage Wars (FB group)
« Reply #3 on: August 07, 2016, 06:21:46 PM »
*edit* In response to "Flexible Creatures":

So... I see you want to make an "unorthodox" spell book, but...

Nature has SO many great creatures.  Why ignore all of them for far worse choices from non-Nature schools?

16 sbp for Sardonyx is terrible.  He isn't worth 8 sbp in a Dark book, let alone 16 in a non-Dark book.

Similarly, Screech Harpys? (and more than 1 at that)

10 sbp and 20 mana for Asto Vidatu is questionable too; you'd be further ahead with Steelclaw Grizzly (or perhaps Bridge Troll) and a face-down Eagle Wings that you can flip if/when needed.

And you don't have any creatures that work with Packleader's Cowl, so why include it?  It's like including a Force Ring and not having any Force spells.

One big problem I see is that few of your huge assortment of creatures work with your mage's ability (including training), which means you'd be better off playing the same spell book but switching mages (e.g. to a Necromancer or Warlock if you want to play all those Dark creatures, or to a Wizard if you want to play all those Arcane creatures) - because at least then you'd get some use out of their abilities.

My recommendation: Choose your 3 favourite "unorthodox" creatures (and NOT Sardonyx), then spend the 50 sbp's you save on useful stuff like attack spells, more equipment, more conjurations, more incantions, ... basically stuff that wins matches or prevents you from auto-losing to a Force Hold, and preferably some from the Nature school.  Otherwise, consider choosing a different mage for reasons stated above.
  • Favourite Mage: Salenia Forcemaster

Milevan_Faent

• Full Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 07, 2016, 07:27:59 PM »
*edit* In response to "Flexible Creatures":

So... I see you want to make an "unorthodox" spell book, but...

Nature has SO many great creatures.  Why ignore all of them for far worse choices from non-Nature schools?

16 sbp for Sardonyx is terrible.  He isn't worth 8 sbp in a Dark book, let alone 16 in a non-Dark book.

Similarly, Screech Harpys? (and more than 1 at that)

10 sbp and 20 mana for Asto Vidatu is questionable too; you'd be further ahead with Steelclaw Grizzly (or perhaps Bridge Troll) and a face-down Eagle Wings that you can flip if/when needed.

And you don't have any creatures that work with Packleader's Cowl, so why include it?  It's like including a Force Ring and not having any Force spells.

One big problem I see is that few of your huge assortment of creatures work with your mage's ability (including training), which means you'd be better off playing the same spell book but switching mages (e.g. to a Necromancer or Warlock if you want to play all those Dark creatures, or to a Wizard if you want to play all those Arcane creatures) - because at least then you'd get some use out of their abilities.

My recommendation: Choose your 3 favourite "unorthodox" creatures (and NOT Sardonyx), then spend the 50 sbp's you save on useful stuff like attack spells, more equipment, more conjurations, more incantions, ... basically stuff that wins matches or prevents you from auto-losing to a Force Hold, and preferably some from the Nature school.  Otherwise, consider choosing a different mage for reasons stated above.

My Flexible Creatures deck hasn't been worked on very much, so it's still in the tweaking stage. I don't get this intense dislike for Sardonyx. Yeah, it drains your life. Big whoop. It also gives you 3 attacks for 1 card, one of which is a very powerful AoE Ranged attack. I'd say it's worth it. I'll be tweaking the deck a lot anyway when I get around to it. Originally I had been making a different deck when I converted it to this, and just never got around to changing the Mage.

EDIT: also, remember I'm NOT making "competitive decks", but casual decks. Take that into consideration too please.

aridigas

• Playtester
  • Full Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 08, 2016, 01:27:50 AM »
Just a note for your Incorporeal Wizard:
You can't climb over a Wall of Force. The Climbing Trait only allows you to climb over corporeal Walls.
I also suggest surrendering against every forcemaster you meet :D

Talking about Sardonyx:
He might have 3 attacks, but can only use one of them at a time. He's difficult to buff, as he's nonliving. And I just disagree on calling his Zone attack very powerful. It only rolls 2 dice, is poison damage and 8+ Rot is underwhelming.
One can easily avoid Sardonyx with Walls or Teleports, but that's not even neccessary. Just ignore him. What's the worst that can happen? He rolls 5 dice against you. Or against 2 of your creatures. Leave his zone, play a heal.

jhaelen

• Full Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 08, 2016, 02:51:04 AM »
I don't get this intense dislike for Sardonyx. Yeah, it drains your life. Big whoop. It also gives you 3 attacks for 1 card, one of which is a very powerful AoE Ranged attack. I'd say it's worth it.
I agree. It's a great card, that I'd love my opponent to play! :P