May 02, 2024, 05:16:20 AM

Author Topic: Best opening for: Druid  (Read 12087 times)

Kelanen

• Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 1
    • View Profile
Re: Best opening for: Druid
« Reply #15 on: December 01, 2016, 02:31:34 AM »
An enemy creature cannot protect a friendly creature or conjuration by guarding. Can it?

SS'laks are Neutral Creatures, not Enemy, they Guard vs everything.

Halewijn

• Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 6
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: December 01, 2016, 04:05:36 AM »
I'm not sure about this since I rarely ever play domination, but I'd say Vulcan is correct here.

If he is not, then the rules about multiplayer guarding should be adjusted.
  • Favourite Mage: Bloodwave Warlord
When in doubt kill it with fire? I never doubt and crush them right away.

jacksmack

• Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 19
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: December 01, 2016, 04:37:10 AM »
An enemy creature cannot protect a friendly creature or conjuration by guarding. Can it?
Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back when a question was raised regarding waking up your own sleeping creature by attacking it was ruled that you could not attack your own creatures with a melee attack if an enemy creature is guarding in the zone.

The exception being that a creature can always melee attack itself or an object attached to itself (tanglevine) even though there is an enemy creature guarding in the zone.

I'm not sure how neutrals work - my guess is they are the same as enemy.

wtcannonjr

• Ambassador of Wychwood
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 3
    • View Profile
    • WBC Mage Wars Tournament
« Reply #18 on: December 01, 2016, 05:59:47 AM »

Back when a question was raised regarding waking up your own sleeping creature by attacking it was ruled that you could not attack your own creatures with a melee attack if an enemy creature is guarding in the zone.

The exception being that a creature can always melee attack itself or an object attached to itself (tanglevine) even though there is an enemy creature guarding in the zone.

See Domination rules page 8. Guardians are treated as "enemies" by all players and creatures in the game. There is no "neutral" players or creatures in the current rule set.

The Guard action provides an effect called Protect the Zone which requires creatures to melee attack an enemy guard in a zone before any other objects.
  • Favourite Mage: Wychwood Druid
"Not everything that is faced can be changed, but nothing can be changed until it is faced." - James Baldwin

Sailor Vulcan

• Secret Identity: Imaginator
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 3
    • View Profile
Best opening for: Druid
« Reply #19 on: December 01, 2016, 09:34:36 AM »

See Domination rules page 8. Guardians are treated as "enemies" by all players and creatures in the game. There is no "neutral" players or creatures in the current rule set.

The Guard action provides an effect called Protect the Zone which requires creatures to melee attack an enemy guard in a zone before any other objects.

Before any other objects or before any other enemy objects? I'm pretty sure that if you have a creature guarding a zone and an enemy creature is in that zone, then you're still allowed to attack that enemy creature because the guard is friendly. Why would your own creatures guarding a zone prevent you from melee attacking enemy creatures in that same zone?
« Last Edit: December 01, 2016, 09:37:05 AM by Sailor Vulcan »
  • Favourite Mage: Salenia Forcemaster
I am Sailor Vulcan! Champion of justice and reason! And yes, I am already aware my uniform is considered flashy, unprofessional, and borderline sexually provocative for my species by most intelligent lifeforms. I did not choose this outfit. Shut up.

Puddnhead

• Member of Arcane Duels; MageCast Co-host
  • Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 8
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: December 01, 2016, 09:49:31 AM »
He did say "enemy guard" and is absolutely correct.

Orb Guardians are enemies for All players and so must be dealt with before attacking a non-guarding enemy object.

Sailor Vulcan

• Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: December 01, 2016, 10:01:02 AM »
He did say "enemy guard" and is absolutely correct.

Orb Guardians are enemies for All players and so must be dealt with before attacking a non-guarding enemy object.

I see. So even if the two enemy creature are also enemies of each other, the friendly creature can only attack the one that is guarding. That means that in domination, a mage can avoid being rushed by hiding behind an orb guardian. And in free for all, a mage can protect an enemy mage from the other enemy mage's melee attacks by guarding. That actually makes a lot more sense to me now that I think about it. Why wouldn't you guard an enemy mage who you were temporarily allied with?

Hmm, I vaguely remember reading that orb guardians guard the orb not the zone...

« Last Edit: December 01, 2016, 10:02:46 AM by Sailor Vulcan »
I am Sailor Vulcan! Champion of justice and reason! And yes, I am already aware my uniform is considered flashy, unprofessional, and borderline sexually provocative for my species by most intelligent lifeforms. I did not choose this outfit. Shut up.

jacksmack

• Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 19
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: December 01, 2016, 11:42:19 AM »
Hmm, I vaguely remember reading that orb guardians guard the orb not the zone...

They do not. But as long as they live the orbs in the zone cannot be touched.

Sailor Vulcan

• Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: December 01, 2016, 12:57:14 PM »

They do not. But as long as they live the orbs in the zone cannot be touched.

So then enemy guarding orb guardians do protect friendly non-guarding creatures in their zone!

Maybe it's possible to turtle in domination after all?

jacksmack

• Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 19
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: December 01, 2016, 01:50:47 PM »
from BGD rulebook:
V’Tar Orb guardians are not controlled by any Mage and do not have an action marker or
an Action Phase. They are treated as “enemies” by all players and creatures in the game.

No creature or Mage can attempt to touch (melee attack) a V’Tar Orb as long as its
guardian is still in play. So, if you wish to take control of a V’Tar Orb, you must destroy
all of its guardians first

So... Sslaks with guard do prevent both players from melee attacking each other in that zone.

Sslaks must die before you can to the Orb - guard marker or not.

Atleast this is how i think it is... i havent played BGD.

iNano78

• Ambassador
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 4
  • Playing face-to-face in Ottawa again soon
    • View Profile
    • Ottawa/Gatineau Mage Wars (FB group)
« Reply #25 on: December 01, 2016, 01:58:17 PM »
Sorry I'm late. Thought this was a thread about Druid openings, so it wasn't on my radar.

I play a fair bit of Domination - more than Arena lately.

Sslaks guard everything in the zone... as long as they have a Guard marker. Remember, they only get 1 guard marker each round. Once that Guard marker is gone, anything in the zone EXCEPT THE ORB is free game. Of course, you may need to heed other creautres with Guard markers, Bloodthirsty rules, etc, but basically the Sslak is only on guard until it's been hit or somebody uses Knockdown or Elusive creatures or uses Shrink on the Sslak, Ranged attacks, Zone attacks (very popular in creature-heavy Domination; Firestorm is a popular finisher in our meta), etc. There are lots of ways around a Sslak, as with any guard.

Also, I wouldn't say that turtling is a viable strategy in Domination. Sure, you might have a slightly easier time n not dying in Domination, but generally if you turtle, you also abandon the orbs which makes them easy to steal, and you'll lose on V'tar.
« Last Edit: December 01, 2016, 03:08:41 PM by iNano78 »

Sailor Vulcan

• Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: December 01, 2016, 02:10:41 PM »
Sorry I'm late. Thought this was a thread about Druid openings, so it wasn't on my radar.

I play a fair bit of Domination - more than Arena lately.

Sslaks guard everything in the zone... as long as they have a Guard marker. Remember, they only get 1 guard marker each round. Once that Guard marker is gone, anything in the zone EXCEPT THE ORB is free game. Of course, you may need to heed other creautres with Guard markers, Bloodthirsty rules, etc, but basically the Sslak is only on guard until it's been hit or somebody uses Knockdown or Elusive creatures or uses Shrink on the Sslak, Ranged attacks, Zone attacks (very popular in creature-heavy Domination; Firestorm is a popular finisher in our meta), etc. There are lots of ways around a Sslak, as with any guard.

Also, I wouldn't say that turtling is a viable strategy in Domination. Sure, you might have a slightly easier time n not dying in Domination, but generally if you turtle, you also abandon the orbs which makes them easy to steal, and you'll lose on V'tar.

Sslaks are unmovable. Knockdown cannot affect unmovable creatures. Furthermore I'm quite certain that sslaks are guarding ALL the time, not just once per round.

Werekingdom

• Full Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: December 01, 2016, 02:11:54 PM »
Samara Tree openings can be very strong in Domination mode games. The Orb Guardians act as protectors for the Seedling Pods rising up at their feet. It also takes precious actions to destroy them that are not used to win the race for an orb or two. So they can be excellent ways to flood the arena with mana generating spawnpoints that require the opponent to lose ground in the race for orbs when they spend actions to kill them.

It can protect you conjurations. If a creature is guarding then you must attack the guard before the seedpod. it would also protect your creatures but that is a two edged sword, since if you wanted to melee atk then you would have to atk any guards first.
  • Favourite Mage: Malakai Priest
Kill with Tanglevine

jacksmack

• Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 19
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: December 01, 2016, 02:38:31 PM »

Furthermore I'm quite certain that sslaks are guarding ALL the time, not just once per round.

They are not. look it up in the rulebook. During setup and upkeep they get a guard marker.

Kelanen

• Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: December 01, 2016, 04:46:16 PM »
Furthermore I'm quite certain that sslaks are guarding ALL the time, not just once per round.

No - they have a normal Guard marker, however you can't attack an orb when a Ss'lak is present, regardless of whether it's guarding or not - that's the confusion.