May 02, 2024, 04:23:09 AM

Author Topic: Forcemaster with Mana Siphon and Invincible stalker?  (Read 3600 times)

Xalgun

• New Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
Forcemaster with Mana Siphon and Invincible stalker?
« on: November 04, 2016, 12:17:13 AM »
I love the forcemaster but she lacks creatures. I like the  invincible stalker too but He dies quickly. My idea is to cast a Mana Siphon early, round 2 or 3, so that my opponent is surprised and pull out his/her ethreal attacks to kill the Siphon. In this time I buff myself and hit him. When the Siphon goes down I cast the  Invincible stalker. In this way my opponents options should be much worse to kill it, so that I can use him more aggressivly.

Another idea would be to include additional incorperial creatures like whirling spirit or Grey wraith. What Do you think about this?

I tryed it once so dar and it was a Bug surprise for my opponent. In our meta there are very few incorperial.

I'm from germany and I'm used to the german card names, so I apologize for mistakes.

Kelanen

• Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 1
    • View Profile
Re: Forcemaster with Mana Siphon and Invincible stalker?
« Reply #1 on: November 04, 2016, 08:08:18 AM »
It doesn't matter she lacks creatures, don't be shy about using out of school creatures (for any mage!) - use the right tool for the job.

Grizzly Bears and Iron Golems are good options for a Forcemaster.

That said, pairing Mana Siphon with Invisible Stalker is a good idea. Stalker is a great idea, but on the weak side sadly...

Laddinfance

• Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 04, 2016, 08:17:13 AM »
I love the stalker in specific matchups, like the Necromancer. Kelanen is also right, don't be afraid to dip into another school for a creature. At one point my Forcemaster ran an Earth Elemental, but that evolved into a Devouring Jelly. Experiment. There are some really interesting options out there.

Xalgun

• New Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 04, 2016, 08:28:55 AM »
I wan't to try a Blood demon for her. He is flying and vampiric that cold be a good support for her.

Halewijn

• Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 6
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 04, 2016, 08:37:29 AM »
Personally I really like the stalker. I run him in every forcemaster book, but I don't cast him every battle. It depends on my opponent. Here is a huge topic about him with many good arguments.
http://forum.arcanewonders.com/index.php?topic=14941.0

Trent Magnus had a very nice analysis about him:
The Invisible Stalker is not a simple card to play, it takes skill. Many people forget the "Stalker" part of Invisible Stalker. It's not called the Invisible Bulldozer or the Invisible Berserker. Knowing when to strike and when to hold back and pass are key. The Invisible Stalker will mess with your opponents mind. I would gladly pay 1 mana per turn to tie-up my opponents quick cast and have them keep an unusable spell in their hand (plus, Psi-Orb should have you covered on the cost anyway). Strike when the time is right and pass when it is not. They are great for messing with infrastructure away from the main fight and they are great at delivering those last few points of damage for the win.

• Favourite Mage: Bloodwave Warlord
When in doubt kill it with fire? I never doubt and crush them right away.

iNano78

• Ambassador
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 4
  • Playing face-to-face in Ottawa again soon
    • View Profile
    • Ottawa/Gatineau Mage Wars (FB group)
« Reply #5 on: November 04, 2016, 08:53:03 AM »
I've enjoyed using the [mwcard=FWC08]Invisible Stalker[/mwcard] in the past. As you likely already know, the key is to pass and activate him as late as possible. But he has a tough go against the Wizard, who can always make an Ethereal attack in the final quick-cast phase.

[mwcard=MW1C26]Necropian Vampiress[/mwcard] is a really great buddy for the Forcemaster, but she pretty much auto-loses against a Necromancer, so you generally need a back-up plan for that match-up (like a Stalker - e.g. play Vampiress vs Wizard, Stalker vs Necro, and your choice against everything else). Or as others pointed out, [mwcard=MWSTX2FFC02]Blood Demon[/mwcard] isn't as strong but is more versatile (e.g. Flying helps against Necromancers, since most undead can't Reach).

I've also enjoyed the [mwcard=DNC03]Devouring Jelly[/mwcard]. Goes very nicely with your primary strategy of melee combat fueled by Galvitar and Scimitar, since it eliminates Armor (assuming you don't keep rolling 4 or less on your d12; it's really too bad you can't play [mwcard=MWSTX2FFE02]Akiro's Favor[/mwcard] on the Jelly...).

Aside from that, you can always include a [mwcard=FWC16]Thoughtspore[/mwcard] or two. I usually summon at least 1 unless my opponent brings out strong flyers (like a legendary angel) or ranged attackers (like Grimson Deadeye). I recommend packing some combination of Redirect/Divine Reversal/[mwcard=MW1E02]Block[/mwcard]/[mwcard=MW1E34]Reverse Attack[/mwcard]/[mwcard=MWSTX2FFE04]Brace Yourself[/mwcard] to help keep them alive.
« Last Edit: November 04, 2016, 09:27:04 AM by iNano78 »
  • Favourite Mage: Salenia Forcemaster

Sailor Vulcan

• Secret Identity: Imaginator
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 3
    • View Profile
Forcemaster with Mana Siphon and Invincible stalker?
« Reply #6 on: November 05, 2016, 08:31:11 AM »
With galvitar and scimitar, forcemaster has the best melee attack of all the Mages in the game. If she just summons those two weapons she can attack for 11 dice. Her spinning slash attack can use doublestrike or sweeping.

When you add force pull into the mix, it becomes clear that the forcemaster wants to attack, specifically she wants to attack enemy creatures. Even without a zone attack, if the forcemaster uses invisible fist, her galvitar's sweeping attack, and dancing scimitar, then she can attack four targets in a single round with 14 dice total! 3 dice, 4 dice, 4 dice, 3 dice. Add in thoughtspore, put on hawkeye and bear strength, now you're doing 4, 5, 4, 3, 16 dice total. Use a force hammer instead of a fist and that's 19 dice total. Put on critical strike, forcefield, a bit of armor and defenses and just start whacking at anything your opponent summons.

Stalker's 5 dice attack is useful for this, especially since it's ethereal.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I am Sailor Vulcan! Champion of justice and reason! And yes, I am already aware my uniform is considered flashy, unprofessional, and borderline sexually provocative for my species by most intelligent lifeforms. I did not choose this outfit. Shut up.

Zombie@Heart

• New Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 07, 2016, 03:48:08 PM »
I always include a mordok's Obelisk with my forcemaster. I play mine more focused heavily on attack dice, and manna control. Usually with a couple thoughtspores with cheap incantations like battle furry or power strike. I also include manna vampirism on my forcemaster to add insult to injury. Working The Invisible Stalker into my spell book would help increase the damage and overall board control my forcemaster would have. Biggest weakness being the long set up time it would take. Between the battle forge, manna siphon, obelisk, thoughtspores, and stalker, it wont start turning out damage till about turn 4 or 5. Granted i am still a relatively new player, but the forcemaster and her focused strategies and creatures are some of the coolest in the game. IMO