May 02, 2024, 02:18:16 AM

Author Topic: Where do you drop your Vine Tree?  (Read 10501 times)

Wildhorn

• Superior artificial brain, feel free to call me Blaine.
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 3
    • View Profile
    • Mage Wars Quebec
Where do you drop your Vine Tree?
« on: September 22, 2014, 02:29:46 AM »
To all the Druids out there, in which zone do you normally drop you Vine Tree? Why? Does it change depending of opponent mage?

I am building a Warlord book and I am wondering what is better/easier... Conquer the tree, or Akiro's Hammer + Wall of Pikes (to prevent a simple Wall of Thorns block LoS).

If most druids drop their tree in the starting corner, then obsiously Akiro's Hammer is the best, but if they drop it in either zone next to the starting corner, then Conquer could be achievable if they do not summon a rooted creature in their tree's zone. This would allow to save 4 spellbook points.

GeorgeFalcon

• Playtester
  • New Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
  • It's impossible to channel 1.21 Gigawatts!
    • View Profile
Re: Where do you drop your Vine Tree?
« Reply #1 on: September 22, 2014, 03:12:11 AM »
I usually just cast it in my starting corner,  because I can cast creatures anywhere I have a vine. :/
  • Favourite Mage: Sortilege Wizard
Roads for what we're playing we don't need roads.

wtcannonjr

• Ambassador of Wychwood
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 3
    • View Profile
    • WBC Mage Wars Tournament
« Reply #2 on: September 22, 2014, 05:47:15 AM »
One zone from starting corner.
  • Favourite Mage: Wychwood Druid
"Not everything that is faced can be changed, but nothing can be changed until it is faced." - James Baldwin

klaymen

• Jr. Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 22, 2014, 07:21:43 AM »
I drop it in my starting corner as well.

Wildhorn

• Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 3
    • View Profile
    • Mage Wars Quebec
« Reply #4 on: September 22, 2014, 10:20:05 AM »

V10lentray

• Member of Arcane Duels
  • Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 22, 2014, 02:37:52 PM »
where you cast the vine tree doesn't matter since it does not require LoS to deploy.

The starting corner is probably best so that if you need to you can cast a wall and extend it to prevent attacks to the wall.

in another somewhat unrelated topic, never place your graveyard in the corner unless you want to have a rough match.

Wildhorn

• Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 3
    • View Profile
    • Mage Wars Quebec
« Reply #6 on: September 22, 2014, 03:36:52 PM »
where you cast the vine tree doesn't matter since it does not require LoS to deploy.

The starting corner is probably best so that if you need to you can cast a wall and extend it to prevent attacks to the wall.

in another somewhat unrelated topic, never place your graveyard in the corner unless you want to have a rough match.

Actually, it requires LoS to deploy something from the Vine Tree.

V10lentray

• Member of Arcane Duels
  • Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 22, 2014, 03:58:02 PM »

I can not find anything that would lead to that statement being true. The Druid needs LoS, but I can find nothing that speaks the same for the tree. the supplement speaks only of the druid (p24) and Vine tree is not mentioned anywhere.

It may have been the intention to require LoS, but as it is written it does not.  Feel free to correct this stating page and location.

Wildhorn

• Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 3
    • View Profile
    • Mage Wars Quebec
« Reply #8 on: September 22, 2014, 04:16:41 PM »

I can not find anything that would lead to that statement being true. The Druid needs LoS, but I can find nothing that speaks the same for the tree. the supplement speaks only of the druid (p24) and Vine tree is not mentioned anywhere.

It may have been the intention to require LoS, but as it is written it does not.  Feel free to correct this stating page and location.

Check the Spreading Vine text. [blahblahblah] may target a zone containing [blahblahblah].

Targetting require LoS by the rules.

V10lentray

• Member of Arcane Duels
  • Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 22, 2014, 04:32:31 PM »
From Druid vs. Necro Rulesheet

Life springs up in the footsteps of the Druid.Each Deployment Phase, the Druid may place a new Vine
marker in her zone. Or, she may instead place that marker in a zone, or adjacent to a zone, containing a Vine marker she controls. The Druid, and her familiars and tree spawnpoints, can use her Vine markers to
extend the range of vine spells they cast.

From the Codex

Vine markers are a Living conjuration with 1 life, no armor, and they cannot gain armor. Vine markers hinder enemy non-Flying creatures. Any amount of damage will destroy a Vine Marker, regardless of its total life. They can’t be targeted by ranged attacks. Any number of Vine markers can occupy a zone. As the Druid, or a familiar or tree spawnpoint she controls, casts a vine spell, you can destroy a target Vine marker she controls as an additional cost to cast that spell. If you do, you may ignore the range of that spell to target that Vine marker’s zone, an object in that Vine marker’s zone, or a border of that Vine marker’s zone. That vine spell must have a legal target.

When you use deployment you are not targeting, thus LoS is not required when Deploying from the Vine Tree. LoS is required if the Druid were to cast a spell and target a vine marker.

Wildhorn

• Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 3
    • View Profile
    • Mage Wars Quebec
« Reply #10 on: September 22, 2014, 04:49:44 PM »
Darling, stop to argue.

As the Druid, or a familiar or tree spawnpoint she controls, casts a vine spell, you can destroy a target Vine marker she controls as an additional cost to cast that spell. If you do, you may ignore the range of that spell to target that Vine marker’s zone, an object in that Vine marker’s zone, or a border of that Vine marker’s zone.

You need to target the Vine marker and targetting require a LoS. Everybody know it, it is been discussed to death in the Rule Section too.

jacksmack

• Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 19
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 22, 2014, 04:53:31 PM »
Putting a vine marker out does not require LOS.

Casting to a vine marker requires that you target the vine marker.
Targetting requires LOS (i learned that the hard way.)

There is no difference on casting a spell from a spawnpoint in the deployment phass or the mage in the action phase.
Same rules applies - if there ever is an enchantment that can counter equipment similar to nullify then the equipment cast from battle forge can be countered.
So basicly you go through the 3 steps of casting a spell as well when spawnpoints deploy in the deployment phase.

Btw. Divine intervention can already now cancel equipment cast from the forge to the mage by revealling between step 1 and 2 or between step 2 and 3.

Coshade

• Arcane Duels Host
  • Administrator
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 6
    • View Profile
    • Arcane Duels!
« Reply #12 on: September 22, 2014, 10:11:31 PM »

I saw that match. Was not pretty
  • Favourite Mage: Malakai Priest

sdougla2

• Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 19
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 22, 2014, 10:40:17 PM »
I've always placed my Vine Tree in my starting corner, but I don't play the Druid that much, so the sum total of my reasoning is that I want it far away from my opponent.
  • Favourite Mage: Straywood Beastmaster

zorro

• Jr. Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 23, 2014, 02:16:25 AM »
Starting corner always, in order for it to be the farthest possible to the opponent mshe. Then I run to near  to spawn my vines from the center, confront the enemy in their ground.

The druid is resilient from start, able to cast creatures on the go, and hinder enemy with vines, which makes she perfect from early confrontation. If the other mage want to go against the tree, good, the druid and his plants will slow him.