May 14, 2024, 03:20:10 PM

Author Topic: Sacrificed on the Altar of Awesomeness  (Read 17073 times)

Koz

• Sr. Mage
  • Banana Stickers 1
    • View Profile
Re: Sacrificed on the Altar of Awesomeness
« Reply #15 on: March 21, 2013, 02:54:02 PM »
Quote from: "dexmark" post=9513
For me this conjuration is only good for finishing an opponent.

If the game will last a few more rounds, I would not try to waste my dying creature to improve my hit on one of my other creatures.

The reasoning is. I played multiple tournaments on other games, that last sacrificial lamb is very important to do one of the following - tie up your opponent (hinder), harrass or do one more ping on your opponents life.

By safricing the creature, you lend your opponent to concentrate more on you or your other creature. I want them to sacrifice and waste additional action killing the guy. If they don't then they will get hit back.

Wasting of action is key in winning this game.

For me this conjuration is not that great at all. An extra pair of hands with their own gun in a battle is better than killing your guy and getting his gun to improve your chances to hit your opponent with two guns.

My 2 cents.

I think the card has uses, namely if you can time it just right so that the creature is going to die anyway before its next activation and you sacrifice it to boost another creature's attack.  At least that way you get some last use out of the creature before it dies.

However, I think that the set of circumstances where this card is good is so narrow that it becomes an unreliable card.  It's got potential, and certainly could win the game for you on occasion, but there are just SO MANY other cards to play that are more likely to pay off that it can be hard to justify the action.  

Another problem for this card is the "when do I play it" question.  If you play it early, you are slowing your offense by an action, and those early actions are pretty key in setting up those powerful in-your-face beat-down assaults that rely on tempo and pressure.  If my opponent stalls his in-your-face assault by an action, that's one more action I have to prepare for it, which is a big deal.  

If you cast it mid to late game, when you are within striking distance of the other mage, then you are spending an action to set up potential damage in the future instead of just causing actual damage immediately.

Eh, like I said, it has it's uses, but I doubt it's going to see extensive play or be a huge game winner when it does.  Unless of course they start making some cards like I talked about that have abilities that trigger off of creatures leaving play.  Then it could be quite the combo card.

Shad0w

• Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 21, 2013, 10:38:15 PM »
Quote from: "xJEDIx" post=9472
I really want to see how Necromancer will interact with this one!  :whistle:

Jedi's Friend:
Shhhhhhhhhhh keep it down Jedi do not let the other students hear yooooooo.....

Zapppppppp the shot rang out and the students next to Jedi was knocked out.

Shad0w: Did I interrupt your conversation?

Jedi: No sir

Shad0w: Then back to the lecture
"Darth come prove to meet you are worthy of the fighting for your school in the arena and not just another scholar to be discarded like an worn out rag doll"

Quote: Shad0w the Arcmage

Nitz

• New Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 22, 2013, 12:56:53 PM »
Also, is this a good way to get rid of creatures if you're paying a having mana tax on them from Wizard Shennanigans?  Seems like a legit way to drop the tax and get some benefit from it.

dexmark

• Jr. Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 22, 2013, 01:30:16 PM »
Quote from: "Nitz" post=9574
Also, is this a good way to get rid of creatures if you're paying a having mana tax on them from Wizard Shennanigans?  Seems like a legit way to drop the tax and get some benefit from it.

This is definitely one use for it. A 4 point investment to get rid of a mana curse on your creature and get  some bonus stat for one round.

DarthDadaD20

• Dark Father of Random Occurrence/TeamRocket Grunt
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 14
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 22, 2013, 01:54:27 PM »
It worth the mana....No question about it. Should be in most warlock decks as a meta/back up for sure.
Where does my greatest enemy lie?
It has been around since the dawn of time,
it follows your loved ones as well as mine,
takes the form of a mountain as well as a flower,
it cannot be outrun by the greatest of power.
Where does my greatest enemy lie?
Within Shad0w.

piousflea

• Sr. Mage
  • Banana Stickers 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: March 24, 2013, 11:39:11 AM »
Quote from: "Koz" post=9517

Another problem for this card is the "when do I play it" question.  If you play it early, you are slowing your offense by an action, and those early actions are pretty key in setting up those powerful in-your-face beat-down assaults that rely on tempo and pressure.  If my opponent stalls his in-your-face assault by an action, that's one more action I have to prepare for it, which is a big deal.

You bring up a key point. Sacrificial Altar is highly action inefficient for a pure Beatdown strategy and I wouldn't recommend it in a straight up "Lord of Terror" rush.

However, there are many times when you start to rush, then realize that your opponent has prepared a strong counter-rush defense, and you decide to sit back and swarm up a bit before attacking... It is during these rounds when your paying 5 mana for a bat or imp every round, that you can afford a quick action for Sacrificial Altar.

Intangible0

• Arcane Duels Host
  • Playtester
  • Sr. Mage
  • Banana Stickers 1
    • View Profile
    • Arcane Duels
« Reply #21 on: March 25, 2013, 01:01:41 AM »
I'm glad someone put this interesting conjuration up for review. It has its perks and disadvantages as previously stated. A point too I'd like to bring up is that it offers one advantage that is invaluable in Mage Wars:
Other games like MTG are all about efficiency and allowing your deck to do what it does best in hopes that the enemies tactic doesn't trump yours.
Mage Wars boasts a great balance that allows us as players to think, "what if they play this though..."
That being said something as simple as having a conjuration on the field or casting an enchantment and keeping it face down plays mind games with your opponent. It's something else they're going to have to constantly keep in the back of their minds.
Will they want to curse your creatures? Probably not if they think you're just going to drink its blood. Waste a Fireball? That's a turn's worth of mana blown on a creature that will just make you more powerful in the end.
Also it's good that you mentioned the extra turn the enemy would want to waste killing off your creatures. Action economy is well worth noting and if you can set your opponent back even one action trying to kill off a creature your not particularly attached to, then you make up for the action casting the altar.
Even with Firebrand Imps this could be worth it. I can't tell you how many times I've had tiny creatures down to one HP.
  • Favourite Mage: Johktari Beastmaster

baronzaltor

• Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 19
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: March 25, 2013, 01:12:07 AM »
Its also noteworthy that Sacrificial Alter is one of the only ways to get a hefty boost to a non-living creature that otherwise cant be targeted with things like Bear Strength or gain abilities like blood thirsty.

Tim

• Jr. Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: March 25, 2013, 12:05:44 PM »
I always like Piousflea comments/review/strategy! It helps me a lot with spellbookcreation en overall strategy.

So this is specially for you:
Thanks you, Piousflea

Nicho2222

• New Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: March 25, 2013, 10:37:36 PM »
The altar can also ruin a warlord's day.  You think that your going to get veterancy off of one of my creatures, not if I sacrafice it before you land the killing blow, plus theres the extra bonus of damage and piercing.  Can help break through those high armor targets that he can summon and/or fortified position.

NerdGuy

• New Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: April 05, 2013, 09:30:49 PM »
A helpful look on a card I've completely overlooked.  Doesn't fit in my current Warlock build, but I'm intriqued enough to fool around with it.  Thanks for the write up.

blivenbo

• New Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
  • Don't take life so seriously eventually you die...
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: February 07, 2014, 02:10:41 AM »
Sacrificial altar with plague zombie that is an eternal servant is just a plain awesome combo
Don't take life so serious;ly you won't get out alive so enjoy the game of life, cheers!!

sIKE

• Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 18
  • Ugh
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: February 07, 2014, 10:58:44 AM »
Sacrificial altar with plague zombie that is an eternal servant is just a plain awesome combo
In theory yes, but you have to have that 9 mana when you pop him, I find that I want to do other things than pop him and pay 9 mana to bring him back.
  • Favourite Mage: Malakai Priest

Sailor Vulcan

• Secret Identity: Imaginator
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: February 07, 2014, 01:57:46 PM »

In theory yes, but you have to have that 9 mana when you pop him, I find that I want to do other things than pop him and pay 9 mana to bring him back.

What if your eternal savant is trapped behind walls with no way out?
  • Favourite Mage: Salenia Forcemaster
I am Sailor Vulcan! Champion of justice and reason! And yes, I am already aware my uniform is considered flashy, unprofessional, and borderline sexually provocative for my species by most intelligent lifeforms. I did not choose this outfit. Shut up.

sIKE

• Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 18
  • Ugh
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: February 07, 2014, 02:04:18 PM »
What if your eternal savant is trapped behind walls with no way out?
And I assume you want to resurrect him? Have him attack himself....
  • Favourite Mage: Malakai Priest