May 20, 2024, 08:21:43 PM

Author Topic: Bloodwave or Iron Throne?  (Read 3921 times)

Battlehamster

• New Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
Bloodwave or Iron Throne?
« on: August 07, 2014, 10:52:56 AM »
So now that FiF has been out a while and we have more War cards to play with, are people liking the old Orc or the new Dwarf as their Warlord of choice? Which one do you use and with what type of spellbook (swarm, couple big, construct heavy, solo)?

My take on it is that I really like the Bloodwave commands (+1 charge and +1 ranged especially) though the veteran tokens seem rather lackluster. For the dwarf, I like his runic abilities but don't much care for his commands. The toughness and +1 melee seem about equal.

Discuss?

silverclawgrizzly

• Charlotte Mage Warrior
  • Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 4
    • View Profile
Re: Bloodwave or Iron Throne?
« Reply #1 on: August 07, 2014, 03:41:10 PM »
I'm playing the Anvil Throne myself but I'm thinking of completely re-tooling the book to either go Bloodwave or focus more on an unstoppable juggernaut build with the dwarf. I see both mages as being very good choices myself.
  • Favourite Mage: Straywood Beastmaster
What we must all remember is no matter the game we were all newbies at one point.

Myrddin

• Jr. Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 07, 2014, 04:08:41 PM »
So now that FiF has been out a while and we have more War cards to play with, are people liking the old Orc or the new Dwarf as their Warlord of choice? Which one do you use and with what type of spellbook (swarm, couple big, construct heavy, solo)?

My take on it is that I really like the Bloodwave commands (+1 charge and +1 ranged especially) though the veteran tokens seem rather lackluster. For the dwarf, I like his runic abilities but don't much care for his commands. The toughness and +1 melee seem about equal.

Discuss?
I like the ability to give things fast: it creates an area the opponent fears to enter! Particularly with the minotaur. Also, Bloodwave only boosts guards but the Anvil Throne helps everyone, so it's a great default with a spare action.

The weird thing on battle orders is that Bloodwave's +1 ranged is great with the crossbowman, who already has piercing, whereas Anvil Throne's +2 piercing is good with the piercing-less slingers.

But my general feeling (as someone making a book to mostly fight a Beastmaster and a Forcemaster) is that Bloodwave is great against enemy armies (vet tokens), whereas Anvil Throne is a bit more flexible and better against solo/buddy builds.

Cnoedel

• Full Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 07, 2014, 07:23:43 PM »
I think it is a bit counterintuitiv that the Bloodwaves creatures are more suited towards a Goblin Swarm build, where the Vet Tokens do not really help (A buddybuild with Thorg and the other commander would be better because they may actually get such tokens).

The Iron Throne Warlord can push himself to be a great melee fighter while his ranged dwarf buddies help him out!
"I close my eyes and seize it
 I clench my fists and beat it
 I light my torch and burn it
 I am the beast I worship..."

DTHGRPSBWR

http://absurdurbannihilist.tumblr.com/
my blog.

sdougla2

• Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 19
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 08, 2014, 12:53:31 AM »
So far I like the Anvil Throne Warlord better. I feel like his abilities are more generally relevant, and he has more flexible options. Anvil Throne is also better with Altar of Carnage.
  • Favourite Mage: Straywood Beastmaster

Battlehamster

• New Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 10, 2014, 05:01:14 PM »
I recently put together a Commando Style Anvil Throne Warlord. Basically just the dwarf armored to the hilt with a few big friends (Dwarf Panzer with Thorg or Sir Corazin etc). With his runes he becomes very powerful equipment build with attack spells. I got inspiration by the way I run my forcemaster and wanted to see if he could run it as well semi-solo. Haven't tried it out yet but I hope to at Gencon.