May 04, 2024, 10:36:24 AM

Author Topic: The current state of MW  (Read 19855 times)

exid

• Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 4
  • The longer the better!
    • View Profile
Re: The current state of MW
« Reply #15 on: May 21, 2018, 01:07:56 PM »
wow  ???
out for the w-e (a few MW with a friend in south france)... it wasn't as hot as here!
do realy Borg's words make the reality? i'm affraid he is right in his conclusions (even if i'm not sure that BBG's numbers are the best argument), but it isn't his fault!

Jacksmack, you say the rules are to intricate and that AW doesn't give answer about rules problems fast enough, i agree with that.
but what i can't answer is: which rules to simplifie without loosing the perfect MW taste? i'm sure a lighter reboot would bring more player but i would probably not follow (wasn't academy an attempt to do this?).

fas723

• Sr. Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 21, 2018, 04:46:11 PM »
I rarely write anything in here anymore. But this time I have to.

I will try to not point my finger at anyone, but don't you guys see how you reacts to Borgs well formulated analysis? He (she?) presents a theory based on objective numbers where he asks about the community opinion. No where I can't see he throwing any bad words about the game I'm sure he would love to see flourish. And in return you give him over exaggerated feelings as a reply, instead of constructive feedback. That is not a welcoming community. Improve! You don't have many more in here to loose.

The question Borg has is very valid, and where to discuss it if not here?

Reddicediaries

• Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 1
  • Out of the ashes, a new power will rise.
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 21, 2018, 05:21:10 PM »

I will try to not point my finger at anyone, but don't you guys see how you reacts to Borgs well formulated analysis? He (she?) presents a theory based on objective numbers where he asks about the community opinion. No where I can't see he throwing any bad words about the game I'm sure he would love to see flourish. And in return you give him over exaggerated feelings as a reply, instead of constructive feedback. That is not a welcoming community. Improve! You don't have many more in here to loose.

I think the reason so many of us reacted negatively is because we don't care for an analysis. We don't want to know/particularly care about the numbers Borg presents because they don't change anything we already know. We know the community is not as active as we would like. We know players (including) him have left the game. What we don't care for is an analysis of the game which presents us with facts we have known for a while.
The Phoenix shall rise.

RomeoXero

• Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 6
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 21, 2018, 05:31:53 PM »
And when it comes on the heels of a post that basically says; i left and don't play anymore, cuz this game is dead, but look how happy i am with magic the gathering, the sentiment behind it gets lost. If he was attempting to "save" the game, improve it, draw more members to it, or ask about ways to house rule or modify the game to make it better that would be one thing. But we don't particularly want or need the detraction from someone who admittedly has left us for good. Because he doesn't like it anymore. That's fine. But if you leave my dnd campaign cuz you don't like how the game is running, im not gonna let you hang out in my living room talking smack about my dm style. That's what it felt like and that's why he got the response he got.
  • Favourite Mage: Wychwood Druid
I love this game. Its awesome!

silverclawgrizzly

• Charlotte Mage Warrior
  • Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 21, 2018, 06:48:36 PM »
Meanwhile in Charlotte.....5 new players since last August...
  • Favourite Mage: Straywood Beastmaster
What we must all remember is no matter the game we were all newbies at one point.

Coshade

• Arcane Duels Host
  • Administrator
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 6
    • View Profile
    • Arcane Duels!
« Reply #20 on: May 21, 2018, 08:35:03 PM »
And Octgn has gotten similar numbers as well!
  • Favourite Mage: Malakai Priest

farkas1

• Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: May 21, 2018, 10:48:05 PM »
Good questions by Borg,  I’m gonna take the mic and answer some of these questions.

I don’t agree with the statistics you brought here just because they are core sets does not mean they are very similar.  Dominion again is a very popular game, it has spun countless offspring and similar style games.  It is not a dueling card game which in general sells less unless your MTG.  Mage Knight had a following I believe, as well there was a similar game that used the same IP or was very Similar maybe a 2.0 version.  Honestly it does not matter again a different game.  Maybe more on the same complexity but it is a board game none the less. 

Like others have said the stats you presented are just being redundant in what we know is true.  Mage wars is a game that has served a niche of players and due to lack of support from arcane wonders and an output model for expansions  to be slower than some fans expectations made it hard to get this game to make the sales numbers of the likes of dominion or MTG.

I will say it is a better game than you have given credit and it has more content and deck building potential than many games including MTG.  MTG basically recycles out cards and renames cards every few cycles of releases. I would even consider it a drug and has latched onto people’s most basic psyche/obsession to find the most of rare “treasure”. 
To me it is a trap and a money grab and nothing more.  The skill is in who has the biggest wallet. 

Alright enough of MTG.  Let’s talk more Mage Wars.  I do believe with proper support this game deserves and will be big.  I do think with the hotness and many games especially card dueling games they get rebooted to stay relevant because everyone likes the new shiney thing.  If mages Wars Arena was to make a 2.0 it will be successful as long as it has a strong support from the company.  That said I love the game and love the current content and I’m not bored and feel this game still has legs for the rest of my life.  It is that good and the community like others have pointed out is still growing.  And it is awesome and I’m glad I am part of the community!

Mic drop!
  • Favourite Mage: Straywood Beastmaster

exid

• Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 4
  • The longer the better!
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: May 22, 2018, 12:54:02 AM »
i don't know Borg, i don't know if he just wrote to anger some of us from his new mtg comunity... it isn't very important for me...

what is, is to know where we go.
nobody here seems to know (or to be autorized to speak) and the AW bosses are silent. we open topics about "what news?", "what state?", "what could we do to help?", bring comments, ideas, insults, but we don't go anywhere!

the end of edition isn't the end of a game, people play chess and i'm quite sure it's creator is dead for a few years!
i stil have a lot of ideas for new books with the current cards, but i like some new opening from time to time to boost my imagination, and not to know if lost grimoir was the last expension or if we should hav a beautifull surprise in one more year or two is bad for my spirit.

Obsidian Soul

• Full Mage
  • Banana Stickers 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: May 22, 2018, 03:10:21 AM »
I agree that advertising and development are a problem, but that will only change if AW gets more money.  Since they only make around 10% of retail on each copy of the board game after production costs, distribution costs, and retail markup, they have to sell around $2 million of product to break even on expenses, so they are going to go for games with more bang for the buck.  If you want more Mage Wars, convince other people to buy more Mage Wars products, it will give AW an incentive to spend more on advertising and development because Mage Wars will be more profitable than it currently is.  Otherwise, we will continue as we have for the last few years.
« Last Edit: May 22, 2018, 03:35:39 AM by Obsidian Soul »

Borg

• Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: May 22, 2018, 08:55:08 AM »
If you want more Mage Wars, convince other people to buy more Mage Wars products, it will give AW an incentive to spend more on advertising and development because Mage Wars will be more profitable than it currently is.  Otherwise, we will continue as we have for the last few years.

That's exactly my point.
MW is NOT profitable anymore at this point in time. That's exactly what those declining votes indicate imo.
That's the simple and basic reason why we haven't gotten an Arena expansion in over a year and why there is nothing in the plans for the near future either.

Even the planned 4 academy expansions are looking like a real longshot now.

... about the game I'm sure he would love to see flourish.

Thanks fas723.
You nailed every point right on the head and especially the quote above.
  • Favourite Mage: Salenia Forcemaster

Reddicediaries

• Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: May 22, 2018, 09:06:01 AM »
If you want more Mage Wars, convince other people to buy more Mage Wars products, it will give AW an incentive to spend more on advertising and development because Mage Wars will be more profitable than it currently is.  Otherwise, we will continue as we have for the last few years.

That's exactly my point.
MW is NOT profitable anymore at this point in time. That's exactly what those declining votes indicate imo.
That's the simple and basic reason why we haven't gotten an Arena expansion in over a year and why there is nothing in the plans for the near future either.

Even the planned 4 academy expansions are looking like a real longshot now.

... about the game I'm sure he would love to see flourish.

Thanks fas723.
You nailed every point right on the head and especially the quote above.
Why didn't you specify that point in the initial post? It would make it a lot clearer as to what you think the issues are.

Also, I'd really like to see your solution (s) to this problem since without any provided, the entire post doesn't really serve the general public anything. At least ask us what we would do, that facilitates discussion.
« Last Edit: May 22, 2018, 09:12:02 AM by Reddicediaries »
The Phoenix shall rise.

Reddicediaries

• Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: May 22, 2018, 09:16:24 AM »

How are we supposed to give feedback if all he provides are numbers and no real solutions to the problem at hand?
The Phoenix shall rise.

Borg

• Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: May 22, 2018, 09:21:59 AM »
I don’t agree with the statistics you brought here just because they are core sets does not mean they are very similar.

I'll just repeat again, I'm not looking for similar games, I'm comparing votes on games.
I'm just looking at Dominion and Mage Knight to get an IDEA of how many votes those core games got.
So, it doesn't matter what type of games those are.

... MW has more content and deck building potential than many games including MTG.

That's just 100% untrue.
Magic has over 15000 cards.

MTG basically recycles out cards and renames cards every few cycles of releases.

MTG does recycle some cards but that is mostly a cliché negative comment for people who don't like MTG.
The variety and different mechanics that have been included the last 15 years are unrivalled.

I do believe with proper support this game deserves and will be big.  I do think with the hotness and many games especially card dueling games they get rebooted to stay relevant because everyone likes the new shiney thing.  If mages Wars Arena was to make a 2.0 it will be successful as long as it has a strong support from the company.

I wouldn't mind if you were right, Farkas but imo you're being totally unrealistic here.

1. If there are no funds left to continue MW 1.0 how are they going to finance MW 2.0 ?

2. How would the casual MW player feel about all his MW 1.0 cards suddenly becoming obsolete and kind of being forced into buying MW 2.0. ?
I experienced this exact scenario when MageKnight 1.0 ( the miniature game ) was terminated by WhizKids and replaced by MK 2.0
The backlash was enormous and MK 2.0 and MK 1.0 were finished a couple of years later.

Borg

• Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: May 22, 2018, 09:29:38 AM »

How are we supposed to give feedback if all he provides are numbers and no real solutions to the problem at hand?

My opening post was an OBSERVATION.
You can react to it or not , give your opinion, view or not.

Also, I'd really like to see your solution (s) to this problem since without any provided, the entire post doesn't really serve the general public anything.

I didn't realise I was able to solve MW's problems ...
So, unless anybody has the solution to make MW successful he's not allowed to post about it anymore ?

At least ask us what we would do, that facilitates discussion.

I've always thought that a forum was a place to have .... discussions.
« Last Edit: May 22, 2018, 09:39:32 AM by Borg »

Reddicediaries

• Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: May 22, 2018, 09:49:45 AM »
My point is if you don't have a solution and don't pose a question in your initial post, what is the point of it? It's like saying the murderer is going to strike again and not trying to stop him, without a solution to the stated problem, stating the problem isn't useful.
The Phoenix shall rise.