Mage Wars > Spells

Samara Tree (and seedling pod) thoughts

(1/6) > >>

echephron:
No thread just about [mwcard=DNJ09] Samara Tree[/mwcard] which isn't in the rules section so here we go.

I think the idea behind the tree is solid and lends itself to a strategy of delayed actions and counterplay, but vine tree can be used for so many things, including seedling pods, that it overshadows Samara.

I think Samara could use a boost, even though it's not gonna happen. I think Samara Tree would become awesome if, as a free action, it could cast one seedling pod immediately upon being cast.

Alternatively, remove Samara's channelling and make the seedling pods it summons start with one mana. That would make it easier to use. With tataree help, you could have a seedling cast on turn 2 able to deploy on turn 3. It sounds too good, but only because of tataree and she can be one-shotted pretty easy.

Laddinfance:
I've seen the arguments made that Vine Tree is the superior tree. If we want to provide more reason for using either, then I don't think you want to "speed up" the tree. You should focus on what the trees do differently. The largest benefit that Samara Tree has is the reusability of Seeding Pods. So the first thing that would seperate them would be having more plant spells that are not vines. Seeding Pods can cast any plant spell. You've also taken nothing away from the Vine Tree. The second thing you could do is print something that requires the druid to destroy one of her Plant Conjurations. You have a limitless supply of Seeding Pods so having some way to cash them in for an effect before they're "ripe" would also provide a unique interaction for the Druid.

Obviously the alternate Druid is a ways off, but these are ideas I've been mulling over.

Bluebaron:
These are great ideas Laddinfance. I think that would be the right direction to develop the samara tree further. Make it more unique and give it some special use.

V10lentray:
I've always found that when trying to use the Samara Tree and the seedling pods, that the pods always seemed to get killed before ever being ready to pop.

On the plus side, that means the opponent is attacking something other than me or my creatures.

On the downside, that was bunch of time and mana resources spent on that Pod getting blown up.

Coshade:
I really wish you could use Kraelthor to eat the seedling pods (and them not obliterate) and do a build up type strategy. Currently my problem with Samara tree is just running out of time, and that seedling pods take up spellbook points. I think using the pod doesn't actually gain you an action. If you sprout it at 3 mana I think you just turned your wheels and didn't go anywhere. If you wait for more then three mana, I find I don't have enough things to properly defend myself with. It's super tricky. The nice part is that the druid can get a lot of armor fast.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version