May 19, 2024, 07:39:35 AM

Author Topic: Jet Stream's Push  (Read 4021 times)

Diji

• Consummate Professional
  • Playtester
  • Jr. Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
  • …and so it begins
    • View Profile
Jet Stream's Push
« on: March 22, 2013, 10:03:50 PM »
Hello All!

A buddy of mine and I having been having a dispute about the push ability generated by Jet Stream.

Here is the situation. Say my Mage is in one of the central zones and his creature or Mage is in a zone directly adjacent - meaning his creature or Mage is with his back against the wall. If Jet Stream successfully pushes him, do I have to bash him against the wall or do I have the option to push him into a legal zone one away from the caster?

For the record, I believe that I have the option as the rules state push gives the caster the option. However if the push only operates in a straight line I could see not being able to push around a corner.

Thx for the help.
  • Favourite Mage: Arraxian Crown Warlock

Tacullu64

• Sr. Mage
  • Banana Stickers 10
    • View Profile
Re: Jet Stream's Push
« Reply #1 on: March 22, 2013, 10:48:17 PM »
[strike].You are correct. You may push him into a legal zone one zone further away from the caster.  [/strike]

See Drealin's post and diagram below.

Edit: For content, I don't know what I was thinking when I answered this. Clearly it was not clearly.

Drealin

• Full Mage
  • Banana Stickers 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 23, 2013, 12:15:26 AM »
From the Codex page 43 of the Rulebook 2.0

Push
Push is an effect caused by some spells and attacks that moves the target
into an adjacent zone. Unless the effect says otherwise, the Pushed creature
must move one zone away in the opposite direction from the source of the
Push. If there is a choice of direction (such as pushing a creature diagonally
opposite, or if the source of the Push is in the same zone as the target), the
source of the Push chooses the direction.

The source of the push would be your mage who is casting Jet Stream, and Jet Stream does not specify that you have any options, only that the attack may cause a Push.
Force Push on the other hand says: "Target creature is pushed 1 zone in the direction of your choice."
So while the push effect remains the same, moving the target in 1 direction, Force Push specifically allows you to choose, whereas a simply push effect does not.

Drealin

• Full Mage
  • Banana Stickers 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 23, 2013, 12:29:46 AM »
To clarify, in case I misunderstood here are two possibilities, where you are the red dot and your opponent is the blue dot.

[attachment=154]pushexample1.jpg[/attachment]
When you cast Jet Stream, if you get a push, then you must bash them into the wall, because that is the opposite direction of the caster, you.

[attachment=155]pushexample2.jpg[/attachment]
When you cast Jet Stream here, you have two options.  You may either bash them into the wall, or move them to where the green dot is.  But those are your only two options as they are the only two directions that would move your opponent farther away from you.

Diji

• Consummate Professional
  • Playtester
  • Jr. Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
  • …and so it begins
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 23, 2013, 08:51:33 AM »
THX, so my buddy was right - :pinch:  damn him. You hit it on the head Drealin! Wish I knew how to put those graphics in - I would have been better able to ask my question.

Thank you for the aid kind sir, much appreciated.
  • Favourite Mage: Arraxian Crown Warlock

Shad0w

• Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 23, 2013, 09:21:37 AM »
Good call and nice work on the diagram. Have a banana sticker  :P
"Darth come prove to meet you are worthy of the fighting for your school in the arena and not just another scholar to be discarded like an worn out rag doll"

Quote: Shad0w the Arcmage

Drealin

• Full Mage
  • Banana Stickers 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 25, 2013, 12:20:05 AM »
Quote from: "Shad0w" post=9618
Good call and nice work on the diagram. Have a banana sticker  :P

Thank you!  I shall treasure this banana sticker always! :cheer:

Quote from: "Dijirati" post=9617
Wish I knew how to put those graphics in - I would have been better able to ask my question.

When creating a message there is an attachments option just below the message input part.  After you add an image there is a button you can click to put it in your message.