May 17, 2024, 06:12:50 AM

Author Topic: FIF Warlord without previous forcemaster vs warlord?  (Read 4021 times)

echephron

• Player
  • Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
  • The finest in mage wear...
    • View Profile
FIF Warlord without previous forcemaster vs warlord?
« on: June 29, 2014, 05:50:55 PM »
Someone on BGG asked this. Here is my response:

You could play the warlord without FvW but I wouldn't. Here is a list of tactics which work waaay better with some cards:

Talos/Altar of domination: outposts
The awesome-est creature in the set you can never play because it needs 3 outposts and you only have 2.

Swarm: level 1 and 2 war soldiers(Gob Alchemist isn't enough), barracks
You can't swarm, because of no spawnpoint and any creatures you'd use would be out of school. So you wont ever need general's signet ring.

Creatures:
You only have one frontline war creature. The minotaur. The rest are utility or archers. You will need to select soldier creatures out of school(holy or dark) which can be annoying.

Standard bearer:
It's just a great warlord only enchantment I would miss.

Liberal use of Commands: Helm of command, ring of command
New warlord has a power rune which works great with helm/ring of command.

-------------
Another words, you can skip on FvW cards, but you will not have efficient in-school options and some cards in the new set(like Talos) will be completely unusable. If you could add one card, add Barracks as it eliminates the harshest of problems.

link to the cardlist of FvW
http://files.geekdo.com/geekfile_download.php?filetype=application%2Fpdf&filename=Forcemaster_vs_Warlord-Card+List.pdf&filecode=9k2ishbftp&validationcode=19980a80c78d106363f20926abecddf3

link to FIF cardlist:
http://magewars.weebly.com/general-discussion/lord0fwinters-fif-review1
« Last Edit: June 29, 2014, 06:03:49 PM by echephron »
  • Favourite Mage: Wychwood Druid

jacksmack

• Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 19
    • View Profile
Re: FIF Warlord without previous forcemaster vs warlord?
« Reply #1 on: June 30, 2014, 01:38:28 AM »
I would assume that FiF would have some  - if not all - of the cards you mention.

Only cards not currently released are spoiled in advance of a release.

For example: In CoK there was 1 or 2 dissolves.

I cant find a complete card list for FiF yet - but once we can download the pdf from this site we will see.
http://www.arcanewonders.com/resources-and-downloads

echephron

• Player
  • Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
  • The finest in mage wear...
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 30, 2014, 05:08:16 AM »
In the core set, they didnt give you the max copies of a card you would want to put in a deck. Plus some cards get used in every deck. That is why we got dispels and such in the other expansions. In the expansions, they gave you the max number of each card. for example, we already have 6 garrison posts i believe.

If they do rerelease old cards, I strongly doubt that they will include non-core cards in FIF.

Plus they've stated they arent releasing any garrison posts in FIF.
  • Favourite Mage: Wychwood Druid

MageHorst

• Jr. Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
  • MiĆ©villean Tentacle
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 30, 2014, 05:20:52 AM »
I watched some unboxing videos, and it least those I came across I couldn't see any pre-FiF cards.

echephron, I agree that Barracks is probably the most important missing card, followed by... well, depends on one's strategy. ;) Anyway, without FvW, one deprives oneself of so many choices. Conquest of Kumanjaro might help a bit in terms of mid-size creatures (Bridge Troll and Dwarf Panzergarde), but it lacks the big guys (Thorg!).
On the other hand, the Warlord seems perfectly playable without CoK, i.e. with FvW and CoK only.
  • Favourite Mage: Bloodwave Warlord
Yes, warlord! No other victory feels more rewarding. =)

Lord0fWinter

• Warden of the North
  • Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 7
  • www.magewars.weebly.com
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 30, 2014, 08:46:07 AM »
There are no old cards in FiF. All 41 cards are completely new and haven't been released before (except some as promos).
  • Favourite Mage: Darkfenne Necromancer
Visit my Mage Wars blog at www.magewars.weebly.com, also check me out on facebook at https://www.facebook.com/MageWarsBlog and on twitter at @MageWarsBlog

sIKE

• Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 18
  • Ugh
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 30, 2014, 09:07:00 AM »
Being a minor expansion, it does leverage previous releases for these mages, just like CoK. Further more how would you play with out the Initiative Marker as this set does not come with one ;).
  • Favourite Mage: Malakai Priest

Arlemus

• Full Mage
  • Banana Stickers 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 01, 2014, 12:12:36 PM »
Being a minor expansion, it does leverage previous releases for these mages, just like CoK. Further more how would you play with out the Initiative Marker as this set does not come with one ;).

Arm wrestle for initiative at the end of each round
  • Favourite Mage: Darkfenne Necromancer

Sailor Vulcan

• Secret Identity: Imaginator
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 01, 2014, 08:12:37 PM »

Arm wrestle for initiative at the end of each round

And this is why you will never be able to defeat me without your precious Harshforge, Warlord.

*casts force push*

I have initiative now.
  • Favourite Mage: Salenia Forcemaster
I am Sailor Vulcan! Champion of justice and reason! And yes, I am already aware my uniform is considered flashy, unprofessional, and borderline sexually provocative for my species by most intelligent lifeforms. I did not choose this outfit. Shut up.

ozmo

• Playtester
  • Jr. Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 02, 2014, 03:45:56 PM »

Initiative goes to the one with the biggest goblet full of the delicious, sweet, salty tears of their foe.

Or use a quarter or something.

Whichever's easiest.