May 15, 2024, 08:56:40 PM

Author Topic: Gorilla  (Read 4200 times)

GeorgeFalcon

• Playtester
  • New Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
  • It's impossible to channel 1.21 Gigawatts!
    • View Profile
Gorilla
« on: August 31, 2014, 10:09:29 PM »
 Okay this idea has probably been done in on variant or another but this is my idea. Straywood Forest Beastmaster.

Equipment
Moonglow Amulet
Ring of Beasts
Enchanter's ring
Staff of Beasts
Mage wand
Bearskin
Elemental Cloak
Leather gloves
Regrowth Belt
Eagleclaw Boots

Creatures

Mountain Gorilla x2
Redclaw, Alpha Male x1
Timber Wolf x3
Darkfenne Bat x3
Thunderift Falcon x3
Feral Bobcat x3
Bitterwood Fox x3

Conjurations

Lair
Etherian Lifetree
Renewing Spring
Rajan's Fury
Tooth & Nail

Enchantment

Bull Endurance
Harmonize x2
Nullify x2
Block
Reverse magic
Reverse Attack
Poisoned Blood
Decoy x2
Bear Strength
Lion Savagery
Cheetah Speed
Rhino Hide

Incantations

Call of the Wild x2
Piercing Strike x2
Rouse the Beast x2
Dissolve x2
Dispel x2
  • Favourite Mage: Sortilege Wizard
Roads for what we're playing we don't need roads.

GeorgeFalcon

• Playtester
  • New Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
Re: Gorilla
« Reply #1 on: August 31, 2014, 10:11:07 PM »
The main idea is to get the Gorilla out and have the Etherian Lifetree out have him be my pet and put bull endurance on him. hit then has 25 life and 3 armor at this time and them it's fair game to play how you will after that.

Maverick

• Ambassador - Twin Cities MN
  • Playtester
  • Full Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
  • I got a fever, and the only cure is Mage Wars!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 01, 2014, 01:32:37 AM »
Sounds mana intensive and a heavy investment for a single creature. I would drop the bulls endurance and replace it with a bear strength to increase his offensive output. The tree is nice if you are synergising it with other creatures but if you plan to focus so heavily on the gorilla it also seems mana intensive. Healing spells will probably give you more bang for the buck and you can save the mana until you actually need it. You could also give him a defense which would effectively double his hit-points if your opponent is not running a swarm build. Also keep in mind he is a land based living creature without any form of immunity which makes him vulnerable to every control spell in the game so he may not be a basket worth so many eggs. Just my two cents. ;)
  • Favourite Mage: Bloodwave Warlord
Easy, guys.. I put my pants on just like the rest of you -- one leg at a time. Except, once my pants are on, I win Mage Wars!

Battlehamster

• New Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 01, 2014, 01:16:10 PM »
Indeed, a single creature is usually easily taken out of the equation if not supported. Some quick examples include:
Banish
Quicksand
Force Hold/Crush
Fumble (short term solution)
Stumble (short term movement solution)
Mind Control (thanks for the awesome creature)
Enfeeble (slowed to a crawl and easily kited)
Defenses to negate 50% of his attacks
Forcefield to shrug them all off
Etc etc

Ultimately you need to have more than just one way to finish off your opponent. Plan on your opponent being able to neutralize some of your weapons and if they are smart, they will get rid of your biggest threat ie a buffed up Gorilla which cost you several actions and can be negated with 1 or 2.

Not bashing just making a note.

GeorgeFalcon

• Playtester
  • New Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 02, 2014, 04:31:38 PM »
 Thanks i have never played in an actual tournament setting as of yet. so my small 3-4 man meta-game allows for stuff like this to go through, I understand there are many flaws but there as just as many answers to the weaknesses in any deck. run nullifys, mind shield, teleports. give the gorilla flight. ect ect.

Sailor Vulcan

• Secret Identity: Imaginator
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 02, 2014, 05:19:35 PM »

Thanks i have never played in an actual tournament setting as of yet. so my small 3-4 man meta-game allows for stuff like this to go through, I understand there are many flaws but there as just as many answers to the weaknesses in any deck. run nullifys, mind shield, teleports. give the gorilla flight. ect ect.

Will there ever be actual flying monkeys? Or are monkeys too take compared to apes?
  • Favourite Mage: Salenia Forcemaster
I am Sailor Vulcan! Champion of justice and reason! And yes, I am already aware my uniform is considered flashy, unprofessional, and borderline sexually provocative for my species by most intelligent lifeforms. I did not choose this outfit. Shut up.

GeorgeFalcon

• Playtester
  • New Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 02, 2014, 05:51:00 PM »
 the meta game i play with is heavy curse, and teleport and sunfire amulet with regen belt. so it gets to the point where you need to deal insane damage to negate the life gane. and yes you can dissolve the amulet but if they run 4 and i have 4 it's a pain to waste all 4 for that 1 item. :/

DaveW

• Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 02, 2014, 06:52:33 PM »
Why the bats instead of more falcons? Card limitation? If so, then you can proxy the bats to be more falcons, for example. I'd rather save the spell book points.

As far as a pair of gorillas go... they're nice for causing havoc if your opponent builds a walled-in fortification... but my preference (if I'm taking a gorilla at all) is to take one gorilla and one grizzly.

• Favourite Mage: Asyra Priestess

sIKE

• Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 18
  • Ugh
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 02, 2014, 08:04:18 PM »
Why the bats instead of more falcons? Card limitation? If so, then you can proxy the bats to be more falcons, for example. I'd rather save the spell book points.

As far as a pair of gorillas go... they're nice for causing havoc if your opponent builds a walled-in fortification... but my preference (if I'm taking a gorilla at all) is to take one gorilla and one grizzly.
Can only carry a max of 6 level one spells and 4 of level 2+ spells.
  • Favourite Mage: Malakai Priest

DaveW

• Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 08, 2014, 09:24:11 PM »

Can only carry a max of 6 level one spells and 4 of level 2+ spells.

He has three bats and three falcons... I asked because I would think that six falcons would be better, at least in terms of spell book points.
  • Favourite Mage: Asyra Priestess