May 15, 2024, 05:13:52 PM

Author Topic: Enchanters Wardstone stackable?  (Read 5432 times)

Cnoedel

• Full Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
Enchanters Wardstone stackable?
« on: October 01, 2013, 08:45:43 PM »
Hey folks, next question:

Do multiple Wardstones trigger if one enchantment is destroyed? So for example if i had two stones out would my opponent have to pay 4 mana?
"I close my eyes and seize it
 I clench my fists and beat it
 I light my torch and burn it
 I am the beast I worship..."

DTHGRPSBWR

http://absurdurbannihilist.tumblr.com/
my blog.

Kharhaz

• Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 7
    • View Profile
Re: Enchanters Wardstone stackable?
« Reply #1 on: October 01, 2013, 09:39:20 PM »

Do multiple Wardstones trigger if one enchantment is destroyed? So for example if i had two stones out would my opponent have to pay 4 mana?

Unfortunately they do stack.......

Cnoedel

• Full Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 02, 2013, 06:49:42 AM »
Unfortunaly for the player playing against wardstones....

Desn't this make them so viable that everyone plays them? :D
"I close my eyes and seize it
 I clench my fists and beat it
 I light my torch and burn it
 I am the beast I worship..."

DTHGRPSBWR

http://absurdurbannihilist.tumblr.com/
my blog.

DeckBuilder

• Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 02, 2013, 07:44:11 AM »
Only for specific strategies

Resource cost to you: 4 mana + 1 fast action + 1 zone (exclusive) +1 spell point

Resource cost for opponent: 2 mana per enchantment destroyed via Dispel. Seeking Dispel, Purge Magic, Destroy Magic, any other?

There is no surprise "foil your plan" one-use benefit like with revealing Armor Ward.

Then there is the undefinable resource trade-off between you and opponent in ensuring it is not destroyed.

So Wardstones work great in a build with lots of "must dispel" enchantments These tend to be Direct Damage or Mobility enchantments that can target enemy mage like Ghoul Rot, Magebane, Poisoned Blood, Force Hold and Force Crush (from FvW). Because they add a clock and bad things happen if not removed. Obviously transferring negative enchantments in 1 free action via Transfusion when enemy is within range 2 (Enchanter's Ring bonus as you stack them hidden on yourself) is the basis of strong fun builds in Warlock, Wizard and Forcemaster.

That's not to say that other enchantments fall in this category depending on situation and synergies. Vampirism for tempo switch, damage barriers vs. swarm or defences vs. big, agony on a multi-striker, there are many other ways to force the opponent to use up his dispels.

So yes, in the right build, Wardstones can be great but they have an investment cost.

German gaming culture means you can deconstruct this game into its mechanics far easier than others (just like Charmyna has). But whilst I did exactly the same as you with preparation theory crafting when I started, the subtleties of the game are not actually apparent without playing, experimenting to improve and iterating your ideas (otherwise known as "trial and error").

Cnoedel, I will reply to your updated Wizard Control build soon (really busy) as it deserves a better response than I have time for now. But it's looking good (there are still a few tiny issues you may encounter with it).
« Last Edit: October 05, 2013, 07:47:59 AM by DeckBuilder »
It's all fun and games until someone loses an eye. And then it's just fun.

xFWx_FIREBIRD

• New Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 04, 2013, 11:45:51 AM »

Actually, I'm pretty sure they would.

If you click on the following link, you'll find this: http://forum.arcanewonders.com/index.php?topic=12941.0

Well...

Purge magic has a fixed cost - 12 mana.

1. Cast spell. Turn it face up declare target check for range and LOS and pay mana.

2. Opponent can counter the spell now with nullify if he has it on target.

3. Spell resolves. Here you pay 2 extra mana for each Wardstone the opponent has in play PER enchanment you wish to destroy.

Jack is correct

wtcannonjr

• Ambassador of Wychwood
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 3
    • View Profile
    • WBC Mage Wars Tournament
« Reply #5 on: October 05, 2013, 07:23:12 AM »

Actually, I'm pretty sure they would.

If you click on the following link, you'll find this: http://forum.arcanewonders.com/index.php?topic=12941.0

Well...

Purge magic has a fixed cost - 12 mana.

1. Cast spell. Turn it face up declare target check for range and LOS and pay mana.

2. Opponent can counter the spell now with nullify if he has it on target.

3. Spell resolves. Here you pay 2 extra mana for each Wardstone the opponent has in play PER enchanment you wish to destroy.

Jack is correct

I see that people are paying per Wardstone. I was just curious since the wording on the card doesn't say EXTRA mana (see bold and underlined formatting I added to quote above). The only comparable conjuration spell I could find is the Mana Crystal/Flower which uses the +1 Channeling term to denote stacking when playing multiple spells of this type. I think it would have been clearer if Wardstone used the term pay +2 mana to remain consistent with what modifiers/penalties stack and which don't.

I like the stacking effect as it adds another element to the Mana Channeling and Supply engine players must manage.
  • Favourite Mage: Wychwood Druid
"Not everything that is faced can be changed, but nothing can be changed until it is faced." - James Baldwin

Shad0w

• Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 07, 2013, 02:55:26 PM »
wtcannonjr at purest level for the rules they do not "stack" the way stone works is when an enchant would be destroyed each stone creates a trigger that says the caster of the destroy effect must pay 2 per enchant per  that they are trying to destroy.

So if 2 stones are out and one enchant is getting destroyed it is 2 extra and then 2 extra this is in effect 4 extra.
« Last Edit: October 07, 2013, 08:32:47 PM by Shad0w »
"Darth come prove to meet you are worthy of the fighting for your school in the arena and not just another scholar to be discarded like an worn out rag doll"

Quote: Shad0w the Arcmage

sIKE

• Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 18
  • Ugh
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 07, 2013, 03:55:04 PM »
So if 2 stones are out and one enchant is getting destroyed it is 2 extra and then 2 extra this is in effect 4 extra.

This is how I read the card.
  • Favourite Mage: Malakai Priest

wtcannonjr

• Ambassador of Wychwood
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 3
    • View Profile
    • WBC Mage Wars Tournament
« Reply #8 on: October 07, 2013, 08:24:43 PM »
Understood. Thanks all.
  • Favourite Mage: Wychwood Druid
"Not everything that is faced can be changed, but nothing can be changed until it is faced." - James Baldwin