May 16, 2024, 03:44:01 PM

Author Topic: Sleeveing your cards: who, how, with what, and thoughts.  (Read 10281 times)

Texan85

• Full Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
  • Game Free, or Die!
    • View Profile
Sleeveing your cards: who, how, with what, and thoughts.
« on: June 29, 2013, 12:00:21 AM »
I was curious who is doing it and with what kind of sleeves. Are you doing a different color for each Mage? And if so what? Has anyone used Dragon shield sleeves for Mage wars cards,  do you like them? Has anyone used clear sleeves, and do you like how they look? Anyone have an opinion on What color sleeve looks good for all the Mage wars cards to be in?

Anyone using any sort of third party cOntainer to move their cards around in, and if so what is it? Anyone use a device that failed horribly?
Ipsa Scentia Potestes Est

Laddinfance

• Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 2
    • View Profile
Re: Sleeveing your cards: who, how, with what, and thoughts.
« Reply #1 on: June 29, 2013, 12:10:18 AM »
I have been using Dragon Shields lately and have not been dissapointed.  I thought I could get away without sleeving, but I feel much better when I do.  I've tried all sorts of containers for my spellbook, from the standard binders to a plastic WOW deckbox.  Not sure what I like best yet.  I will say, If you do not want to use the binders provided, I would either use an ultra pro two pocket binder or a monster binders 4 pocket.  They are both good quality and your cards don't slide out easily.

pixelgeek

• Global Moderator
  • Sr. Mage
  • Banana Stickers 2
    • View Profile
    • Zac's Gaming Blog
« Reply #2 on: June 29, 2013, 10:31:41 AM »
I have been using Ultra Pro matte sleeves with coloured backs. I have a different colour for each Mage. They fit into the books fine and also fit into card sleeves quite nicely.

I do it primarily to help distinguish my cards from opponents during and after games.
  • Favourite Mage: Adramelech Warlock
Arcane Wonders Web Guy
Problem with the forums or website?

Send me a PM

Words to live by: I commit strongly to defending my wand.   Precisely so that I don't lose it.

sIKE

• Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 18
  • Ugh
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 29, 2013, 11:43:02 AM »
I use DragonShields Blue for my decks. If you look at http://forum.arcanewonders.com/index.php?topic=10719.0 this thread you can see what I do for storage.
  • Favourite Mage: Malakai Priest

cbalian

• Full Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 29, 2013, 09:43:46 PM »
The ultra pro binders are awesome.  I use them to organize pages by category (like armor choices, weapons, etc etc)  So when you are deciding a particular slot (for example all rings are together, all chest pieces together etc) it helps me more choices by visually looking at a page of everything side by side rather than in a pack.

You probably could even use it to build spell books out of it, but they would be bigger.

I at least for now use it for all the most used cards.  There are a LOT of duplicate copy cards in Mage Wars so having a few of each in the pro binder and the extras in the box works for me.

Texan85

• Full Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
  • Game Free, or Die!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 30, 2013, 12:03:04 PM »
I use DragonShields Blue for my decks. If you look at http://forum.arcanewonders.com/index.php?topic=10719.0 this thread you can see what I do for storage.

Only downside seems like when you play, your opponent will know what kind of spells you have in your hand for each turn

Sarkath

• Playtester
  • New Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 01, 2013, 07:34:39 AM »
I use Dragon Shield clears. I have all of my cards, except my apprentice books, in clear. I also sleeve every card I get, that way they are ready to go, should I ever need it. Most people go with colors, which is just fine, I figure I would do clear to show off the back of the card to to be slightly different.

Texan85

• Full Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
  • Game Free, or Die!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 01, 2013, 12:17:30 PM »
I use Dragon Shield clears. I have all of my cards, except my apprentice books, in clear. I also sleeve every card I get, that way they are ready to go, should I ever need it. Most people go with colors, which is just fine, I figure I would do clear to show off the back of the card to to be slightly different.

And does it play like normal sleeves? I've found some clear sleeves were just subpar.

Shad0w

• Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 01, 2013, 01:38:37 PM »
The sleeves I use for a majority of my games (including mage wars) are KMC matte sleeves, Ultra Pro - pro matte, Max protection shuffle tech, Fantasy Flight bored game sleeves. Any of these are good
« Last Edit: July 02, 2013, 09:59:02 AM by Shad0w »
"Darth come prove to meet you are worthy of the fighting for your school in the arena and not just another scholar to be discarded like an worn out rag doll"

Quote: Shad0w the Arcmage

Sarkath

• Playtester
  • New Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 02, 2013, 07:31:56 AM »

And does it play like normal sleeves? I've found some clear sleeves were just subpar.

I have never had any issues with Dragon Shields. The KMCs are also very nice. I want to use Ultra-Pro Matte, but that damn silver dot just kills me. Max Protect 2.0, or whatevers, aren't too bad either, but they scuff quick.

The Dude

• Hitchhiker of sorts
  • Playtester
  • Sr. Mage
  • Banana Stickers 5
  • It's like... good gracious...bodacious.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 02, 2013, 04:09:00 PM »
You know what makes me mad? The sleeve thats attached to my silver dot.
  • Favourite Mage: Johktari Beastmaster
Always carry a towel...

Shad0w

• Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 03, 2013, 12:26:14 AM »
You know what makes me mad? The sleeve thats attached to my silver dot.

At least the Pro series is passable.  :P
Def not the best or the worst. They get a Meh+
"Darth come prove to meet you are worthy of the fighting for your school in the arena and not just another scholar to be discarded like an worn out rag doll"

Quote: Shad0w the Arcmage

cbalian

• Full Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 03, 2013, 07:13:56 AM »
I actually just got the Pro-Sleeves (clear) yesterday and they seem great.

Doesn't make the card feel "bulky" like there is extra stuff on there, I'm kind of tactile so didn't want it to feel all plasticky (is that a word?).

They fit perfect on the sides although there is a little extra plastic on the top.  I guess that is kind of good since I'd rather the sleeve have extra cover than not enough.

But the best part is even with the plastic cover and even with the extra on top the cards still fit great in the spell books (OR the Pro card books which I also love to use to organize my cards not in play).

I definitely could do without that shiny silver dot, which I am too lazy to remove, so I just put the card in FRONT of it so I can't actually see the dot when looking at the card, so I guess not too big of a deal.

I don't have all my cards sleeved but the main ones that get used the most.

baronzaltor

• Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 19
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 03, 2013, 07:55:50 AM »
I use sleeves with rather specific artwork, partially because I like them but mainly just to prevent mix ups with Enchantments and stuff during clean up.  Since the game doesnt involve any shuffling they dont have to be too heavy duty, i generally dont put much wear on them.

I dont use the actual books myself.. i just use my old deck cases to carry them around and during gameplay sift through the cards that way.   Im just too used to decks.

Texan85

• Full Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
  • Game Free, or Die!
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 04, 2013, 11:45:11 PM »
I Bought the black and white dragon sleeves and will see how they go, like in MTG the black and white boarders always looked good to me.

I might buy some clear dragon sleeves.