May 05, 2024, 10:34:38 AM

Author Topic: How NOT to scare your friends away from trying Mage Wars  (Read 12964 times)

Nihilistiskism

• Master Debater
  • Full Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
Re: How NOT to scare your friends away from trying Mage Wars
« Reply #15 on: September 12, 2013, 03:46:40 PM »

Step 1: Don't mention the website or forums, otherwise they will get sucked into the games meta and realize that this game is just as fun to talk about as it is to play- You are basically selling their soul if you do.

Step 2: Don't encourage them to play in tournaments- otherwise they might realize that outside of CCG's, very few games even have tournaments, and those that do, don't often care,publicise,recognize,have prizes or send representatives to show up.- You will lose them to the tournament scene, they will get better, then they will beat you at every game you play.

Step 3: Don't expose them to the game under the guise of customization, otherwise they might realize that this game is extremely customizable, then they will stay up at night thinking about new builds and never get to sleep! They might even realize that you can build Aggro Melee Wizards, and Archers Tower builds, A Beastmaster using Darkfenne Bats for Rot condition control, or even holy unicorns with Bitterwood foxes and make incredible fast charge builds.

Step 4: Don't represent this game as anything more than "a bit of casual fun".- Because they will realise that once you get sucked in, nothing is casual about it. And they will call you a liar! Its a duel to the death, and if you are not spending your time improving your game- You are going to lose!

(I am just having a bit of fun here- I respect your opinion, you have a right to it, and I have the right to say mine, sorry but this was open to my interpretation as soon as it was posted.)

;D I laughed.

-nihil
Take a shower, don't talk like a junior high dropout, and stop being such a fatty.

DarthDadaD20

• Dark Father of Random Occurrence/TeamRocket Grunt
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 14
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 12, 2013, 05:34:50 PM »
Good! yay!  ;D
 (I wasn't trying to be a jerk, so I am glad you got a kick out of it)
Where does my greatest enemy lie?
It has been around since the dawn of time,
it follows your loved ones as well as mine,
takes the form of a mountain as well as a flower,
it cannot be outrun by the greatest of power.
Within Shad0w.

Sailor Vulcan

• Secret Identity: Imaginator
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: September 12, 2013, 06:02:59 PM »

Step 1: Don't mention the website or forums, otherwise they will get sucked into the games meta and realize that this game is just as fun to talk about as it is to play- You are basically selling their soul if you do.

Step 2: Don't encourage them to play in tournaments- otherwise they might realize that outside of CCG's, very few games even have tournaments, and those that do, don't often care,publicise,recognize,have prizes or send representatives to show up.- You will lose them to the tournament scene, they will get better, then they will beat you at every game you play.

Step 3: Don't expose them to the game under the guise of customization, otherwise they might realize that this game is extremely customizable, then they will stay up at night thinking about new builds and never get to sleep! They might even realize that you can build Aggro Melee Wizards, and Archers Tower builds, A Beastmaster using Darkfenne Bats for Rot condition control, or even holy unicorns with Bitterwood foxes and make incredible fast charge builds.

Step 4: Don't represent this game as anything more than "a bit of casual fun".- Because they will realise that once you get sucked in, nothing is casual about it. And they will call you a liar! Its a duel to the death, and if you are not spending your time improving your game- You are going to lose!

(I am just having a bit of fun here- I respect your opinion, you have a right to it, and I have the right to say mine, sorry but this was open to my interpretation as soon as it was posted.)

That was hilarious. I hope that post becomes very famous as Mage Wars becomes more popular.

Also, you're both right. I think it depends on who you're introducing the game to. I got an account on the forums before I had even started playing the game (although that's technically because I didn't know you could post as a guest if you had the Tapatalk app).

The thing about talking about the game here being as fun as playing it--SO TRUE. I go on the forums when I don't have enough time for an actual game, and it's a BLAST. I don't think I've ever seen another fun game that's just as fun to talk about as it is to play. I think most of the time if the amount of enjoyment is the same for playing a game and talking about it, then it probably doesn't have a high enjoyment level. For instance, the Quiet Game is just as much fun to talk about as it is to play, which isn't much fun at all. This is not the case for Mage Wars, owing to its extraordinary capacity to elicit nerdgasms.
  • Favourite Mage: Salenia Forcemaster
I am Sailor Vulcan! Champion of justice and reason! And yes, I am already aware my uniform is considered flashy, unprofessional, and borderline sexually provocative for my species by most intelligent lifeforms. I did not choose this outfit. Shut up.

DarthDadaD20

• Dark Father of Random Occurrence/TeamRocket Grunt
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 14
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: September 12, 2013, 11:22:42 PM »
I believe a post I made in a thread about the variant game "Mage Pours" was nominated for post of the year!  ;D

And yeah- I very much enjoy talking about the game.....to be honest, its all I ever do anymore!

It has been around since the dawn of time,
it follows your loved ones as well as mine,
takes the form of a mountain as well as a flower,
it cannot be outrun by the greatest of power.
Within Shad0w.