May 18, 2024, 10:30:07 AM

Author Topic: priestss mage wand& Divine Reward  (Read 4107 times)

Ronen

• New Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
priestss mage wand& Divine Reward
« on: January 07, 2013, 03:22:33 PM »
if the pristess binds a holy incantation to a mage wand and use it. will she get the divine reward or is it only applay when she cast the incantation in the normal way?

pixelgeek

• Global Moderator
  • Sr. Mage
  • Banana Stickers 2
    • View Profile
    • Zac's Gaming Blog
Re: priestss mage wand& Divine Reward
« Reply #1 on: January 07, 2013, 03:28:53 PM »
The Mage Wand is only a way for a Mage to have more than two spells prepared at the same time. The Mage still casts the spell and pays mana for it so the Priestess would still get the benefit of the Divine Reward ability.
  • Favourite Mage: Adramelech Warlock
Arcane Wonders Web Guy
Problem with the forums or website?

Send me a PM

Words to live by: I commit strongly to defending my wand.   Precisely so that I don't lose it.

Ronen

• New Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 07, 2013, 03:30:40 PM »
Thank you

krj

• Full Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 07, 2013, 05:52:34 PM »
Quote from: "pixelgeek" post=6230
The Mage Wand is only a way for a Mage to have more than two spells prepared at the same time.

To be accurate Elemental Wand also gives that option but different type of spell...

Archwizard07

• New Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 07, 2013, 10:29:07 PM »
Hmmm, I would think from a purely intuitive point of view that a wand with a spell bound to it casts the spell, but then that goes back to a previous question of when using an item with magical properties, who is acutally causing the magic?

Example: Staff of the Beasts, are the effects a spell stored in the staff or a spell cast by the beastmaster through the staff?

If I were DMing this, I would say no dice for the priestess as the wand has the spell stored in it and she is just activating the wand.

Does anyone have any clearly worded rules that answer this?

Sparkytbg

• Sr. Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 09, 2013, 08:11:22 AM »
If you look in the rulebook it says in the spellbinding area. "The bound spell can be cast as if it was one of the spells you prepared during the Planning Phase."  So yes, the priestess can use her divine rewards ability when she casts this spell from the wand.

Drealin

• Full Mage
  • Banana Stickers 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 10, 2013, 01:08:46 AM »
Archwizard07 said:

Hmmm, I would think from a purely intuitive point of view that a wand with a spell bound to it casts the spell, but then that goes back to a previous question of when using an item with magical properties, who is acutally causing the magic?

In this game when your Mage causes something to happen, either using a piece of equipment, or casting a spell, or whatever, the game sees it simply as your Mage doing it.
Another way to look at it is that equipment simply gives your Mage new abilities that he can perform.

baronzaltor

• Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 19
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 13, 2013, 02:24:39 AM »
Quote from: "Archwizard07" post=6248

Example: Staff of the Beasts, are the effects a spell stored in the staff or a spell cast by the beastmaster through the staff?

If I were DMing this, I would say no dice for the priestess as the wand has the spell stored in it and she is just activating the wand.

Does anyone have any clearly worded rules that answer this?

For the wand to cast the spell it would have to function like lairs/spawnpoints/familiars do.  If the wand had its own channeling stat and its own mana supply to cast from then it would be the caster, however unlike those instances it has none of those things the mage is still casting it off his own resources, location and person.. the wand just effectively increases your prepared spells and gives you the benefit of not discarding the spell after casting.

Arcanus

• Administrator
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 13, 2013, 10:26:29 AM »
That was very well worded!