May 04, 2024, 08:21:00 PM

Author Topic: Forged in Fire expansion big list of questions  (Read 20069 times)

echephron

• Player
  • Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
  • The finest in mage wear...
    • View Profile
Re: Forged in Fire expansion big list of questions
« Reply #30 on: June 17, 2014, 02:08:02 PM »
I updated the OP and included a couple more points on the end. Akiros Favour is still in dispute, but we should be getting a rules supplement thingie this week from the makers.

We need a statement from the higher ups saying that a reroll happens during the step in which the original roll happened. Or if a reroll happens in its own little pocket outside of the attack steps, we need to know when that pocket happens.

Here is the Akro's Favor card text:
"Once per round, if this creature makes a melee or ranged attack, you may re-roll all of the attack dice OR the effect die, for that attack. Or, if the attack has to roll to hit (such as with a Daze condition), you may re-roll that die roll INSTEAD. Use a ready marker to keep track of this ability"

Here is how I would have worded the card to simplify and avoid the confusion:
"Once per round when this creature is making an attack you may re-roll one of the following: the damage dice, the effect die, or a roll to miss such as from daze."

My text is shorter (so we can get some flavor text up in here), clearer, and more grammatically correct(such as by not starting a sentence with "Or" or over-relying on bracketed statements. I felt even worse about stranglevines wording.

does AFavor work against enemy defenses? i'll add that to the list.
« Last Edit: June 28, 2014, 04:55:32 PM by echephron »
  • Favourite Mage: Wychwood Druid

jacksmack

• Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 19
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: June 17, 2014, 03:56:04 PM »
The card has nothing to do with the dice roll step as such. Yes you are rolling dice, but you also do that with a lot of other spells such as mana drain and healing charm. Both examples just tells you to roll dice when you reveal (charm) or cast (mana drain).
Just like Akiros favor gives you the option to reroll dice when spending its ready marker.

With this card you could in theory reveal the card between step 4 (apply damage and effects) and 5 (multiple strikes) reroll after damage is applied.
But it would make no sense because it wouldn't change anything as damage and effects step is already over.

- this took me a while to get straight.

The card has nothing to do with the enemy using a defense.

Shad0w

• Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: June 17, 2014, 05:03:11 PM »
Akro's Favor

Can be used to reroll as long as the damage was not already been applied.

This applies to roll to hit effects like Helm of fear and daze. It also applies to effect and damage rolls.

It does not apply to defense rolls
« Last Edit: July 06, 2014, 09:14:08 PM by Shad0w »
"Darth come prove to meet you are worthy of the fighting for your school in the arena and not just another scholar to be discarded like an worn out rag doll"

Quote: Shad0w the Arcmage

echephron

• Player
  • Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
  • The finest in mage wear...
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: July 06, 2014, 03:41:18 PM »
new question:
16) Can you discount a barracks creature if the barracks can pay all the mana for the creature?

I stole 20) from a post, so I'll update it once I know the answer. its probably true.
  • Favourite Mage: Wychwood Druid

Shad0w

• Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: July 06, 2014, 09:15:47 PM »
new question:
16) Can you discount a barracks creature if the barracks can pay all the mana for the creature?

I stole 20) from a post, so I'll update it once I know the answer. its probably true.
It depends on the discount source. If it requires the mage to cast the creature then no.
"Darth come prove to meet you are worthy of the fighting for your school in the arena and not just another scholar to be discarded like an worn out rag doll"

sdougla2

• Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 19
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: July 07, 2014, 11:12:15 PM »
General's Signet Ring gives the discount when you or a Spawnpoint you control casts a soldier spell, so yes, you can get the discount even if the Barracks is casting the soldier entirely with it's own mana.
  • Favourite Mage: Straywood Beastmaster

Shifthappens

• New Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: July 11, 2014, 08:27:50 PM »
Does a wildfire imp still has LoS to teleport to an obscured target? Technically, the obscured and burning creature is not targeted by the teleport, since i believe the zone is the target, yet with obscured its a lil bit confusing.

ringkichard

• Flightless Funpire
  • Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 18
  • Kich, if you prefer.
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: July 12, 2014, 08:56:37 AM »
You need LoS to the zone, since it's the zone that's targeted.

It doesn't matter if the creature is obscured by Cloak of Shadows; you could teleport to a Warlock with Cloak from across the board. However, if the destination zone is obscured with Rolling Fog, the Imp must be at range 1 or range 0 to Teleport.
I can take the fun out of anything. It's true; here, look at this spreadsheet.

Shad0w

• Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: July 12, 2014, 01:20:45 PM »
Ring is correct.

If you ran a quick search before asking you would have found the answer in this thread. 8)

Wildfire Imp & Teleport

ACG

• Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: March 22, 2015, 07:12:07 PM »
15) [mwcard=MWSTX2FFC11] Sersiryx, Imp Familiar[/mwcard] can cast [mwcard=MWSTX2FFA01] Devil's Trident[/mwcard] because...reasons in another thread to be worked out?

Here's why:

Spells are only separated into spell-levels when spellbook building. In the actual game, spells and levels are separate.

In the actual game, a spell is not "Level 1 Fire, Level 1 Dark". It is level 2, and counts as both a Fire spell and a Dark spell (in much the same way that a Bitterwood Fox counts as both a Canine spell and an Animal spell)

So [mwcard=MWSTX2FFA01]Devil's Trident[/mwcard] satisfies all three conditions to be legal for casting by [mwcard=MWSTX2FFC11]Sersiryx, Imp Familiar[/mwcard].

1. It is a Level 2 spell
2. It is a Fire spell
3. It is an attack spell

Unstoppable and Tanglevine, Stranglevine, Quicksand: These cards can still target creatures with this trait, but are destroyed when the creature moves to a new zone?

An unstoppable creature automatically gains the Uncontainable and Unmovable traits, and so is an illegal target for Tanglevine and Stranglevine (because it is Uncontainable).

But [mwcard=FWJ07]Quicksand[/mwcard]...well, it gets a little weird, based on a literal interpretation of the rules.

Quote from: MW Rulebook and Codex pp.16
A few conjurations target an object instead. These spells are attached to the target object and move with it if it is moved.
(emphasis mine)

But unlike Tangle/Stranglevine, there is nothing in Quicksand that prohibits casting it on an Uncontainable corporeal creature (such as Sardonyx, Talos, or even Devouring Jelly)

Which means (and I would like to stress that there is no rules ambiguity on this point whatsoever) if you cast Quicksand on one of these creatures, it will follow it wherever it goes.

Seems worthy of an official clarification, not to mention a change to the wording of Quicksand for future releases.

Sailor Vulcan

• Secret Identity: Imaginator
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: March 23, 2015, 07:14:03 AM »

15) [mwcard=MWSTX2FFC11] Sersiryx, Imp Familiar[/mwcard] can cast [mwcard=MWSTX2FFA01] Devil's Trident[/mwcard] because...reasons in another thread to be worked out?

Here's why:

Spells are only separated into spell-levels when spellbook building. In the actual game, spells and levels are separate.

In the actual game, a spell is not "Level 1 Fire, Level 1 Dark". It is level 2, and counts as both a Fire spell and a Dark spell (in much the same way that a Bitterwood Fox counts as both a Canine spell and an Animal spell)

So [mwcard=MWSTX2FFA01]Devil's Trident[/mwcard] satisfies all three conditions to be legal for casting by [mwcard=MWSTX2FFC11]Sersiryx, Imp Familiar[/mwcard].

1. It is a Level 2 spell
2. It is a Fire spell
3. It is an attack spell

Unstoppable and Tanglevine, Stranglevine, Quicksand: These cards can still target creatures with this trait, but are destroyed when the creature moves to a new zone?

An unstoppable creature automatically gains the Uncontainable and Unmovable traits, and so is an illegal target for Tanglevine and Stranglevine (because it is Uncontainable).

But [mwcard=FWJ07]Quicksand[/mwcard]...well, it gets a little weird, based on a literal interpretation of the rules.

A few conjurations target an object instead. These spells are attached to the target object and move with it if it is moved.
(emphasis mine)

But unlike Tangle/Stranglevine, there is nothing in Quicksand that prohibits casting it on an Uncontainable corporeal creature (such as Sardonyx, Talos, or even Devouring Jelly)

Which means (and I would like to stress that there is no rules ambiguity on this point whatsoever) if you cast Quicksand on one of these creatures, it will follow it wherever it goes.

Seems worthy of an official clarification, not to mention a change to the wording of Quicksand for future releases.

Even if it's teleported?
  • Favourite Mage: Salenia Forcemaster
I am Sailor Vulcan! Champion of justice and reason! And yes, I am already aware my uniform is considered flashy, unprofessional, and borderline sexually provocative for my species by most intelligent lifeforms. I did not choose this outfit. Shut up.

ACG

• Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: March 23, 2015, 07:18:23 AM »
Even if it's teleported?

No. If a creature is teleported, all attached conjurations are destroyed. But if it moves or is moved (non-teleport), all attached conjurations move with it.

This hasn't come up yet because all such conjurations so far restrain creatures and make them unmovable anyway. But in the case of quicksand, some of the legal targets cannot be restrained.

Kharhaz

• Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 7
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: March 23, 2015, 07:21:14 AM »

Here's why:

1. It is a Level 2 spell
2. It is a Fire spell
3. It is an attack spell

(emphasis mine)

Even if it's teleported?

When a creature is teleported all attached conjurations do not go with it and are destroyed. That is in the "fine print" of teleport.

Laddinfance

• Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: March 23, 2015, 09:15:04 AM »
Quicksand cannot target an uncontainable creature. If this was not already part of another ruling, I'm sorry. I'm actually working on several updates to the Rules and Codex supplement. I'm hoping to have that soon. If you have any other questions please let me know.

iNano78

• Ambassador
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 4
  • Playing face-to-face in Ottawa again soon
    • View Profile
    • Ottawa/Gatineau Mage Wars (FB group)
« Reply #44 on: March 23, 2015, 10:35:38 AM »
Quicksand cannot target an uncontainable creature. If this was not already part of another ruling, I'm sorry. I'm actually working on several updates to the Rules and Codex supplement. I'm hoping to have that soon. If you have any other questions please let me know.

Thank you.  My thematic explanation for how Sardonyx dragged Quicksand around from zone to zone, only to be enveloped by it several zones from where he first became attached to it (e.g. "stepped in it?"), required some pretty significant suspension of disbelief.  ;D
  • Favourite Mage: Salenia Forcemaster