May 20, 2024, 09:02:56 PM

Author Topic: Flexible Forcemaster  (Read 10673 times)

Reddicediaries

• Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 1
  • Out of the ashes, a new power will rise.
    • View Profile
Re: Flexible Forcemaster
« Reply #30 on: July 29, 2016, 01:39:43 PM »
The Phoenix shall rise.

RomeoXero

• Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 6
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: July 29, 2016, 02:20:29 PM »
Honestly its a good look at a solo forcemaster, but the problem i think Borg has here is that by dropping the buddy support you've dropped your action pool down even farther. Now you have a max of 2 actions per round. Galvitar is deceptive in that the sweeping might look like an extra action, but those critters have to be in your zone. Your open to movement impairment yourself, and a wand with disarm on it effectively negates all of galvitars benefits and leaves you with a 3 dice attack. Mind control is nice but clever mages work around it in book constriction, my druid perefers nature school only creatures which can't be controlled. Lots of common buddy creatures are psycic immune as well so necro is going to have you sweating pretty hard. Warlock too. Forcefield is great but its not going to save you every time. Most of my books run at least one wall of thorns and a force push or two, that clears all 3 counters and hits you twice.
Forcemaster is tricky, action starved and really powerful when done well. But you gotta be focused. Know exactly what you want to do every turn, and how to stop the other guy from messing that up. I think Borg is just looking to find the focus here and not for nothing, though its not awful, theres a bunch of holes that could be filled a bit more thoroughly. But it's your book, so don't let anyone take you off of your game plan. Play it out a few times and let us know how it went!
  • Favourite Mage: Wychwood Druid
I love this game. Its awesome!

Reddicediaries

• Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: July 29, 2016, 02:23:08 PM »
It's likely some sort of creature will be added back in, right now I'm just experimenting. Or, I guess I could use conjerations to gain action, like temple of light, corrosive orchid, ballista, etc.
« Last Edit: July 29, 2016, 03:32:45 PM by Reddicediaries »
The Phoenix shall rise.

Reddicediaries

• Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: July 29, 2016, 05:44:57 PM »
Newest Iteration. I really want to add back in a buddy, but I'm still thinking about it. Nano, what creature was your vampiriss replacement? I'm also thinking about possible adding arcane missles to deal with swarms/zombies.

[spellbook]
[spellbookheader]
[spellbookname]Flexible Forcemaster![/spellbookname]
[mage]A Forcemaster Spellbook[/mage]
[mage]built by the OCTGN SBB[/mage]
[/spellbookheader]
[spells]
[spellclass]Attack[/spellclass]
[mwcard=DNA01]2 x Acid Ball[/mwcard]
[mwcard=FWA05]2 x Invisible Fist[/mwcard]
[mwcard=FWA02]1 x Force Hammer[/mwcard]
[mwcard=MW1A13]1 x Thunderbolt[/mwcard]
[spellclass]Conjuration[/spellclass]
[mwcard=MW1J16]1 x Mordok's Obelisk[/mwcard]
[mwcard=MW1J19]1 x Deathlock[/mwcard]
[spellclass]Creature[/spellclass]
[mwcard=FWC16]3 x Thoughtspore[/mwcard]
[spellclass]Enchantment[/spellclass]
[mwcard=FWE05]2 x Forcefield[/mwcard]
[mwcard=FWE03]1 x Falcon Precision[/mwcard]
[mwcard=MW1E28]1 x Mongoose Agility[/mwcard]
[mwcard=MW1E31]1 x Poisoned Blood[/mwcard]
[mwcard=MWA01E02]3 x Arcane Ward[/mwcard]
[mwcard=FWE04]2 x Force Crush[/mwcard]
[mwcard=MW1E24]2 x Magebane[/mwcard]
[mwcard=FWE07]1 x Mind Control[/mwcard]
[mwcard=MW1E29]1 x Nullify[/mwcard]
[mwcard=MW1E10]1 x Decoy[/mwcard]
[mwcard=MWSTX2FFE07]1 x Rust[/mwcard]
[mwcard=MWBD1E01]1 x Astral Anchor[/mwcard]
[mwcard=MWA01E07]2 x Gator Toughness[/mwcard]
[mwcard=MWPROMO79]2 x Blur[/mwcard]
[mwcard=MWPROMO17]1 x Critical Strike[/mwcard]
[mwcard=MWSTX2FFE04]1 x Brace Yourself[/mwcard]
[spellclass]Equipment[/spellclass]
[mwcard=FWQ04]1 x Galvitar, Force Blade[/mwcard]
[mwcard=FWQ01]1 x Dancing Scimitar[/mwcard]
[mwcard=MW1Q19]1 x Mage Wand[/mwcard]
[mwcard=FWQ07]1 x Psi-Orb[/mwcard]
[spellclass]Incantation[/spellclass]
[mwcard=MW1I28]1 x Teleport[/mwcard]
[mwcard=MW1I07]3 x Dissolve[/mwcard]
[mwcard=MW1I26]1 x Sleep[/mwcard]
[mwcard=MW1I06]3 x Dispel[/mwcard]
[mwcard=FWI13]1 x Seeking Dispel[/mwcard]
[mwcard=MW1I20]1 x Purify[/mwcard]
[mwcard=MW1I21]1 x Purge Magic[/mwcard]
[mwcard=FWI14]1 x Heal[/mwcard]
[mwcard=MW1I15]1 x Knockdown[/mwcard]
[/spells]
[cost]Total cost: 120 pts[/cost]
[/spellbook]
« Last Edit: July 30, 2016, 08:54:11 AM by Reddicediaries »
The Phoenix shall rise.

Sailor Vulcan

• Secret Identity: Imaginator
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: July 31, 2016, 11:32:13 AM »
Here's the thing about the forcemaster that I was trying to explain the other day. I suspect that if you want to go solo with her you need to lower enemy actions. You can put an enemy creature to sleep, but your opponent can wake them up. You can charm or mind control an enemy creature but then they can dispel it. If you want to keep your opponent from recovering the action advantage you took from him, you need to have ways to keep them from regaining those actions in the long run. A sleeping creature can be woken up either by a wand of healing or by an attack. So you can dissolve a wand of healing. Attacks can deal damage, so if they try to wake up the creature that way, attack and destroy the creature. A destroyed creature doesn't generate actions during the reset phase. You can decrease the value of their attacks with defenses and forcefields, but defenses are going to be avoided and your first forcefield will almost certainly be destroyed at some point.

There is a reason that the Forcemaster has galvitar, arguably the most powerful weapon in the game. She can do 8 dice in one melee attack without buffing it. No other mage can do that. She has force pull to pull creatures towards her, and it works on both the mage and non-mage creatures, both friendly and enemy. You can pull a friendly creature towards you to a zone where it can attack what you want it to attack. You can pull an enemy creature towards you so you can attack it.

When you're playing the forcemaster, you need to decide how many creatures you want to run, and how quickly you want to win. If you don't increase your own actions then you need to decrease the opponent's actions. Earlier iterations of your deck which had one or no creatures should have therefore included more copies of sleep and charm and mind control, and should have included more cards that can buff your mage's melee attack and maybe improve your mobility advantage too. That way you have an easier time destroying the creatures that you can't keep under your control. And there will be creatures like that. Unmovable creatures, psychic immune creatures, or simply if they summon too many for you to keep them charmed or mind controlled or asleep. Suppression Orb and Mordok's obelisk combo are very helpful against swarms, but a swarm deck is going to want to destroy those no matter what, and a forcemaster won't want to focus too much on protecting them because then she won't be able to take advantage of their effects to leverage her action advantage to hurt enemy creatures or the mage. And once the orb and obelisk are gone you lose that advantage and then they swarm you to death.

The benefit of killing creatures as opposed to merely sleeping or charming or mind controlling them, is that once they're destroyed it's usually much harder to bring them back. However, the benefit of sleep and mind control and charm is that you can often use them more quickly and for lower costs than killing the creature. Some creatures might take several turns to kill, but can be put to sleep, charmed or mind controlled while you deal with other creatures first. And if you bait all their dispels with other enchantments then mind control or charm might be there to stay.

So either kill the enemy mage as fast as possible, or kill, sleep, charm and mind control their creatures quickly so that they lose their action advantage. If you go for a quick kill, then you should drop the deathlock, add another poisoned blood, exchange the range 3 attack spell for some cards that will give you better mobility advantage, like cheetah speed, teleport, force hold, etc. drop two of your spores, and drop most or all of your dot cards. If you go for a longer game then you need more copies of mind control, charm and sleep. And since you're running so many enchantments, I would also add at least one enchanter's wardstone.

And regardless of whether your mage is attacking enemy creatures or enemy mage, you need to actually be able to kill whatever target you're attacking. Which means either you need more melee buff cards to kill a creature or mage as fast as possible, or you need more armor/healing/defense cards so that you can lower the value of their creatures' actions while they're still alive, so that you can keep attacking them until they die without taking too much damage yourself. Or some combination of the two.
  • Favourite Mage: Salenia Forcemaster
I am Sailor Vulcan! Champion of justice and reason! And yes, I am already aware my uniform is considered flashy, unprofessional, and borderline sexually provocative for my species by most intelligent lifeforms. I did not choose this outfit. Shut up.

Reddicediaries

• Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: August 15, 2016, 08:39:59 PM »
Check out the latest version!
The Phoenix shall rise.