May 20, 2024, 10:50:57 AM

Author Topic: Sardonyx Warlock  (Read 4141 times)

sshroom

• New Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
Sardonyx Warlock
« on: August 02, 2014, 12:05:21 PM »
Wanted to try a very agro build where I get mister Blight in the enemy's face ASAP. I use Sunfire Amulets to help offset the Life cost of Sardy. Yeah it's expensive pointswise, but I figure if a keep Sardy on the enemy turn after turn I don't really need much else. I also have a heal in there because it might be useful and it's 9 cost which is my channeling. Once he's there, I drop nullifies on the enemy every round to keep them from wriggling out of his zone and popping off a heal or teleport while using my full action to punch/blast/summon/buff or heal Sardy as appropriate

Warlock: Araxxian Crown

Attack
4 Fireball
2 Flameblast

Conjuration
Mana Crystal

Creature
2 Firebrand Imp
2 Infernian Scourger
Sardonyx, Blight of the Living

Enchantment
Agony
2 Block
Ghoul Rot
Magebane
Marked for Death
5 Nullify
2 Rust

Equipment
Demonhide Armor
Fireshaper Ring
Gauntlets of Strength
2 Lash of Hellfire
Moloch's Torment
Ring of Curses
2 Sunfire Amulet

Incantation
2 Battle Fury
2 Dispel
2 Dissolve
2 Force Push
Heal
2 Perfect Strike
2 Power Strike
5 Reassemble
2 Seeking Dispel
3 Teleport

So Turn1 (19) QC Sunfire Amulet (6), Double Move
Turn 2 (22) QC something cheap like ring, gauntlets, amulet (3), Double Move
Turn 3 (28) Maybe QC Force Push on myself to put me in the enemy zone? (3) FC Sardonyx(24)
Turn 4 (10) We'll see what develops from here...

Feedback and criticism is appreciated. Thanks

ringkichard

• Flightless Funpire
  • Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 18
  • Kich, if you prefer.
    • View Profile
Re: Sardonyx Warlock
« Reply #1 on: August 02, 2014, 04:39:53 PM »
Interested to know why you chose the Amulet over Drain Soul. Reliability?
I can take the fun out of anything. It's true; here, look at this spreadsheet.

sshroom

• New Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 02, 2014, 10:54:45 PM »
Actually I wasn't aware of Drain Soul. Never built a Dark Mage before. However I think the mana cost is too high. Once I get the big guy out, I plan on spending every action buffing and blasting. I might let myself get up to 12 one turn to bring out a Blood Reapered Scourger, but 16 is probably out of reach. Plus it could get Nullified. In the long run I think the amulet will pay off more for less investment.

sdougla2

• Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 19
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 03, 2014, 06:14:16 PM »
Blood Reaper doesn't cost mana. It costs life.
  • Favourite Mage: Straywood Beastmaster

magerunner

• New Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 04, 2014, 05:57:07 AM »
You are going to have a very up hill battle here.
the fact that some well placed walls can cause you multiple turns of damage (unles Sardonx can walk through walls I am not looking at it right now)

sshroom

• New Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 04, 2014, 06:21:26 AM »
Only 1 damage per turn. The plan is to not summon him until I'm on top of the enemy. If he puts up walls as I'm advancing I'll walk or teleport around. If he manages to use a wall defensively to get away from Sardonyx, between his attack and my mage we should be able to take down most anything in 1 turn. Or I can teleport him.

sIKE

• Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 18
  • Ugh
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 04, 2014, 09:17:20 AM »
The only problem I see is that until you get your other creatures out a [mwcard=MWSTX1CKC06]Guardian Angel[/mwcard] or [mwcard=MWSTX1CKC08]Gargoyle Sentry[/mwcard] is going to be a problem for [mwcard=MWSTX2FFC10]Sardonyx, Blight of the Living[/mwcard]. His damage output is not enough to take out the angel fast enough that she isn't a delay tactic for 2-3 rounds while your opponent gets out a couple of more heavy hitters like a couple of Knight of Westlock and then they just focus Sardonyx down over a couple of rounds. Now of course you can get creatures out also which will need to be your focus to help counter.
  • Favourite Mage: Malakai Priest

ringkichard

• Flightless Funpire
  • Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 18
  • Kich, if you prefer.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 04, 2014, 11:35:42 AM »
Man, I donno, if my opponent were trying to focus down Sardonyx, I'd count that as a win. He's beefy.
I can take the fun out of anything. It's true; here, look at this spreadsheet.

sshroom

• New Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 05, 2014, 07:57:30 AM »
I think Sike you may be right. A solid guard creature or 2 could slow me down enough that the life cost of Sardonyx becomes overwhelming. Probably need a bit more tech to solve this. I will tweak the book and repost. Thanks.

sIKE

• Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 18
  • Ugh
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 05, 2014, 02:20:59 PM »
Man, I donno, if my opponent were trying to focus down Sardonyx, I'd count that as a win. He's beefy.
That is a win if you have some more high end creatures to put out afterwards, but with only 2 level 1 and 2 level 2 to follow the bank has bet on Sardonyx. A Wizard with a non-living creature build would chew this up and spit it out so fast it is not even laughable. Though the opposing mage we need to be ready to counter the 5 Reassembles which could tip the game back in Sardonyx's favor.

Now with that said, he can probably pull several wins with this build until his meta adjusts. I would rather bring out an [mwcard=FWC09]Iron Golem[/mwcard] cause I value the high Armor over the (Miller)high Life

The build as listed is only 117 spellpoints.

• Favourite Mage: Malakai Priest