May 17, 2024, 04:14:45 PM

Author Topic: Walking through walls with Passage Attack  (Read 2483 times)

DaveW

• Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 3
    • View Profile
Walking through walls with Passage Attack
« on: July 19, 2015, 02:30:04 PM »
I know that you can climb over a corporeal wall, and that 1) it takes a full action to do this, and 2) if the wall has a Passage Attack, you are attacked as you climb.

Is the same true if you just walk through the wall? It is obvious that the Passage Attack happens... but does that take a full action to do that? I didn't think so, but someone else in our group said that he thought it did.

I couldn't find this discussed anywhere, and did not see it in the rules when I looked. Thanks in advance for any help on this rule.
  • Favourite Mage: Asyra Priestess

Kharhaz

• Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 7
    • View Profile
Re: Walking through walls with Passage Attack
« Reply #1 on: July 19, 2015, 02:39:54 PM »
"Passage Attacks: This symbol indicates that a creature may move through the wall to enter the zone on the other side, but the creature automatically suffers an attack from the wall. This attack occurs before the creature completes  its  movement  action,  so  if  the creature is Restrained or Incapacitated during the attack, it must remain in its original zone. This is a special kind of attack that is neither melee nor ranged, cannot be avoided, and does not trigger any damage barrier or Counterstrike attacks (see “Attacks” on page 22). If the wall does not have either the Passage Attacks or Passage Blocked symbols, creatures may move through the wall freely."

This trait does not make the movement through the wall a full action.

"Climbing: Creature may take a special full action to climb over any Corporeal wall and move into the adjacent zone. If the wall has the Passage Attacks trait, it attacks the creature before it moves."

In both cases you are always attacked before you move. (minor difference, but important)

DaveW

• Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 19, 2015, 04:09:40 PM »
I read the "passage attacks" section of the rules while we were playing, but it didn't seem to answer the question then. I guess since it mentions this being part of a move action, it isn't a full action. Now that I think about it more, it makes more sense. Thanks for the help. (It turns out my friend was told otherwise by someone else.)

wtcannonjr

• Ambassador of Wychwood
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 3
    • View Profile
    • WBC Mage Wars Tournament
« Reply #3 on: July 19, 2015, 06:11:56 PM »
Wall of Thorns has an effect that creatures above level 1 must use a full action to walk through the wall.
  • Favourite Mage: Wychwood Druid
"Not everything that is faced can be changed, but nothing can be changed until it is faced." - James Baldwin

DaveW

• Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 19, 2015, 07:16:27 PM »
Oh... it says it on the card "Wall of Thorns"! I didn't think to look on the card. I thought I knew everything about the spell.... Go figure. Thanks everyone.

V10lentray

• Member of Arcane Duels
  • Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 20, 2015, 11:04:10 AM »
Best part of Wall of thorns is that level 1 creatures can run through it unscathed.

Kinda awesome!
  • Favourite Mage: Wychwood Druid