May 17, 2024, 03:56:42 PM

Author Topic: Slam and 1st Quick Cast Phase  (Read 3969 times)

sIKE

• Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 18
  • Ugh
    • View Profile
Slam and 1st Quick Cast Phase
« on: May 01, 2013, 05:08:03 PM »
If I were to Slam a Mage after his activation (say he moved and quick cast a hurl boulder). Would the Slam prevent the mage from "normal" casting (if he hadn't already) any spell during the Final Quick Cast Phase and following the First Quick Cast Phase?

What I am trying to grasp is would the Mage be Incapacitated until the his activation in the next Creature Action Phase? Or are the Final or First Quick Cast Phases considered activations of the Mage?

I am thinking yes, but I am not sure.

Once again here from the Codex is the mages portion of Incapacitated:

Mages are affected by Incapacitation differently. A mage’s mind is so powerful that even if he is Incapacitated he can still work his magic! An Incapacitated mage can still use actions to cast quick non-attack spells. He cannot cast full spells or attack spells.
  • Favourite Mage: Malakai Priest

Shad0w

• Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
Re: Slam and 1st Quick Cast Phase
« Reply #1 on: May 01, 2013, 08:30:07 PM »
If somebody has the FAQ for slam could you please post it.

Thanks in advance BTW
"Darth come prove to meet you are worthy of the fighting for your school in the arena and not just another scholar to be discarded like an worn out rag doll"

Quote: Shad0w the Arcmage

sIKE

• Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 18
  • Ugh
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 01, 2013, 09:26:30 PM »
Here it is:

Slam (Forcemaster vs. Warlord)

Slam is a temporary incapacitation. designed to represent a creature being knocked down to the ground. and then quickly getting up again as soon as it acts again. It is removed as soon as that creature is  activated (and replaced with Daze condition), and this represents that creature "standing back up".

Thus, a Slam will not prevent a creature from taking their Action Phase. It is very useful for removing a Guard marker, or taking away Defenses, or the Flying trait (which all occur because of Incapacitation).

BTW: The tool that is used to render the PDF is horrible to try and copy and paste from....

Shad0w

• Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 02, 2013, 07:53:58 AM »
It is removed as soon as that creature is activated (and replaced with Daze condition)

So as soon as the creature is activated you flip its action marker and replace it with daze.
"Darth come prove to meet you are worthy of the fighting for your school in the arena and not just another scholar to be discarded like an worn out rag doll"

Snotwalker

• New Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 02, 2013, 08:40:47 AM »
Just to clarify your question on the quickcast aspect of being slammed:  Using your end-of-round quickcast does NOT constitute your mage being activated.  Only the colored action marker being flipped constitutes an activation of a creature (mage included).

However, as the rules state, your mage can still cast non-attack quickcast spells while incapacitated... but yeah, it sucks when you get slammed after activating, and all you have left in your hand is an attack spell you can't use....  But I always try to cheer myself up by thinking of all that mana I'm saving for an even bigger spell the next round.   :dry:

Shad0w

• Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 02, 2013, 09:00:56 AM »
Quote from: "Snotwalker" post=12158
Just to clarify your question on the quickcast aspect of being slammed:  Using your end-of-round quickcast does NOT constitute your mage being activated.  Only the colored action marker being flipped constitutes an activation of a creature (mage included).

However, as the rules state, your mage can still cast non-attack quickcast spells while incapacitated... but yeah, it sucks when you get slammed after activating, and all you have left in your hand is an attack spell you can't use....  But I always try to cheer myself up by thinking of all that mana I'm saving for an even bigger spell the next round.   :dry:

Correct the full action maker is all that applies for any creature including the mage.

sIKE

• Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 18
  • Ugh
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 02, 2013, 09:38:32 AM »
That is exactly what I thought!

Marhem

• Jr. Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 11, 2014, 06:50:29 AM »
What if you get 2 slams?

Wildhorn

• Superior artificial brain, feel free to call me Blaine.
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 3
    • View Profile
    • Mage Wars Quebec
« Reply #8 on: July 11, 2014, 06:57:18 AM »
What if you get 2 slams?

Both are removed at sametime and you get 2 Daze markers.

magerunner

• New Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 11, 2014, 12:19:59 PM »
What if you get 2 slams?

Both are removed at sametime and you get 2 Daze markers.
that you only make one roll for and are removed  together, but the minus they generate is cumulative.