May 02, 2024, 10:25:15 AM

Author Topic: Ok lets talk Domination.  (Read 6423 times)

silverclawgrizzly

• Charlotte Mage Warrior
  • Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 4
    • View Profile
Ok lets talk Domination.
« on: October 15, 2015, 01:47:02 PM »
Domination has been out for a little while now, not long but long enough that a fair number of us have copies. What strategies are working for you? What surprises have you encountered? How are you liking it?

We've been playing it locally since Gen Con. We started with the suggested map builds but ignored the special terrain. We wanted to get use to the idea of the orbs first. Then of course we started using the terrains. Overall it's been pretty popular here, not taking over for normal Mage Wars but certainly a good spice. I can see why some folks would find it to be their preferred style of play. Here's what I've found:

-1v1 matches are not the same as multiple opponent matches obviously. In 1v1 you want to get some creatures out and start taking over orbs ASAP. You can still win by killing the other mage but you need to get on that ASAP as well. You can NOT waste time in 1v1 unless your opponent is clearly doing the same.

-In multiple opponent matches strategy and tactics still apply. Don't let anyone tell you otherwise. You want to be working on that orb control game but making yourself the clear leader is like personally asking all your friends to curb stomp you. No mage can take on multiple opponents. Yes there's some politics but that's also strategy and a measure of your skill as a gamer, not one that's used in normal Mage Wars but I like it's inclusion.

-Mobility wins the game. Getting across the map is all important. Turtle tactics won't work at first at least. Once you got yourself a nice base then year secure it if you can, but early on you have to get your creatures out and where they need to be. Straywood Beast Master is king here. He can spit em out Fast creatures easily, some of which even Fly.

-Pretty much every mage that's not a Force Master has proven they CAN win in Domination so far. You need to build for Domination, which means starting a book from scratch, but it's well worth it. Yes war fans the Warlords have shown incredible strength here. Holy, Arcane, Nature, and Dark however can all work very well. In a lot of our matches even when one mage inevitably wins we could all agree that the other builds were very viable. There's A LOT of different ways you can go here. I know of a sick Druid Domination book for instance and another nasty Necromancer tactic.

How's it playing out for everyone else?
  • Favourite Mage: Straywood Beastmaster
What we must all remember is no matter the game we were all newbies at one point.

Puddnhead

• Member of Arcane Duels; MageCast Co-host
  • Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 8
    • View Profile
Re: Ok lets talk Domination.
« Reply #1 on: October 15, 2015, 03:03:20 PM »

-Pretty much every mage that's not a Force Master has proven they CAN win in Domination so far.

So, my favorite mage is the underdog?  Challenge Accepted.
  • Favourite Mage: Salenia Forcemaster

V10lentray

• Member of Arcane Duels
  • Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 15, 2015, 03:26:17 PM »

I think that is because the forcemaster rarely runs creatures, and you need some creatures to get the orbs turned on.
  • Favourite Mage: Wychwood Druid

Mystery

• Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 15, 2015, 04:37:05 PM »
you can sneak the oponents orb often by teleport+double strike early on, than get galaxus out and just attack the other mage, he will struggle getting orbs and defending

i won't see force master is bad at all, you effectivley have two melee attacks with galvitar so need one creature less for getting control, maybe save mana that way and at some round could get a big creature....

mind control saves you rounds where you kill one of those melee attacks by a qc for 2rounds probably and are even on qc (control/dispel), and don't forget killing the mage itself.

reddawn

• Playtester
  • Sr. Mage
  • Banana Stickers 10
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 15, 2015, 09:36:16 PM »
After just one game, I can see how Teleport is even stronger, granted the new Anchored cards helps.  Spawnpoints also seem better, since the precon arenas usually have more space between players and are thus harder to destroy, and more creatures = more orb control. 

As a quick rules question, because I don't have the Battlegrounds rules in front of me...does Mordok's Obelisk basically destroy all the NPC Orb Guardians?

Also, I would really like to see AW offer up something in terms of precon deck ideas for Battlegrounds.  Maybe one of the other playtesters could post something; I'm just returning after a hiatus.
  • Favourite Mage: Arraxian Crown Warlock

silverclawgrizzly

• Charlotte Mage Warrior
  • Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 16, 2015, 01:09:09 AM »

-Pretty much every mage that's not a Force Master has proven they CAN win in Domination so far.

If you can make it work I'd love to hear about it. As I despite Force Masters(they have a good win ratio against me) I for one am glad not to have to put up with their sneaky Jedi ways in Domination :)
What we must all remember is no matter the game we were all newbies at one point.

Schwenkgott

• Thunderdome
  • Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 16, 2015, 02:35:02 AM »
I like Domination now after I played some games. It a total different experience. If you use a standard arena deck against a player that starts with a domination deck, you will find youself in a world of trouble, even if you go straight for the mage kill. Domination seems to be balanced well here: the bonus for first capturing an orb and defending it is definitely worth it.
On the other side i think that certain mage abilities work better with domination than others: quick summoning from the beastmaster looks very strong to me while runes from warlord or divine removal from priestress f.e. are less useful.
I think if domination will ever make it to a competitive environment (tournaments), we will have to deal with overpowered builds just like the wizard seems to be right now in the arena.
« Last Edit: October 16, 2015, 02:36:44 AM by Schwenkgott »
Akiro, I have never prayed to you before. No one will remember if we were good men or bad. Why we fought, or why we died. All that matters is that one stood against many. That's what's important! Valor pleases you, Akiro... so grant me strength! And if you do not listen, then to HELL with you!

Kaarin

• Sr. Mage
  • Banana Stickers 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 16, 2015, 01:57:26 PM »
Both Beastmasters have a bit of advantage here. Bloodwave Warlord also seem to be in better situation than in Arena mode. He's bound to get some veteran markers without depending on his opponent.

As a quick rules question, because I don't have the Battlegrounds rules in front of me...does Mordok's Obelisk basically destroy all the NPC Orb Guardians?
I don't think so. It's controller who pays upkeep and Orb Guardians don't have controllers.
EDIT:
What about Divine Intervention on [mwcard=FWC14]Sir Corazin, Blademaster[/mwcard]?
« Last Edit: October 16, 2015, 02:34:15 PM by Kaarin »
  • Favourite Mage: Bloodwave Warlord
OCTGN: Wstrzasniety (UTC+2)

silverclawgrizzly

• Charlotte Mage Warrior
  • Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 16, 2015, 11:21:10 PM »
Sir Corazin is frankly a beast in Domination. Add Divine Intervention to that mix and it's hilarity ensues time!

wtcannonjr

• Ambassador of Wychwood
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 3
    • View Profile
    • WBC Mage Wars Tournament
« Reply #9 on: October 17, 2015, 08:44:11 AM »
My initial impressions are that Domination mode helps the defensive style mages. If they can achieve an early lead in orb control, then there defensive abilities can be used to delay the opponent while the vtar clock ticks down to victory. Walls and Gravitor is a strong combination making Warlords good at domination.
  • Favourite Mage: Wychwood Druid
"Not everything that is faced can be changed, but nothing can be changed until it is faced." - James Baldwin

NerdGuy

• New Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 20, 2015, 03:54:53 PM »
I was a bit hesitant when Domination was announced, but after playing it for a while, I do enjoy it it quite a bit. The new victory conditions add a new style/strategy of play.  This greatest strength is also its greatest weakness; you really need to edit current spellbooks or build all new ones when playing Domination (though if you're obsessed with spellbook building like I am its not necessarily a bad thing).

I also enjoy how it almost puts a new 'spin' on all the mages.  It even brings less 'powerful' mages into the spotlight (I'm looking at you Warlord).  I've been building a Warlord, a very effective vine Druid, a teleporting Forcemaster, and  a ranged pack-hunting Beastmistress.

I'm not sure if I prefer 'vanilla' MW or Domination more so I expect both to see around an equal amount of play when my MW partner and I bring the books to the table.

kmt76

• Apprentice
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 21, 2015, 03:59:53 AM »
We are going to play very soon and we are going to keep our spellbooks just as they are and instead just draw the V`tarr related cards from a deck beside the board. Just not sure how we are going to go about it. I was thinking that when you first take control of an orb you can draw two cards, and maybe "buy" some draws later spending a small amount of mana. With a cap of 1 or 2 cards per round.
Any thoughts ?

Wildhorn

• Superior artificial brain, feel free to call me Blaine.
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 3
    • View Profile
    • Mage Wars Quebec
« Reply #12 on: October 25, 2015, 12:34:32 PM »
Played our first games of Domination yesterday. We played 6 games. It is very awesome and very different than normal  Arena. You have to build your deck around it, you can't just take a normal deck and hope to win.

So far we noticed the following:

- Having a swam is a big deal. Mainly to be able to clear guards and ping the orbs once the Sslak are cleared. A swam is also useful to guard the orbs to prevent to be pinged and hold them just long enough when you are about to win.
- Killing the mage is harder and less important, but you must not forget that he can get killed not to overextend him in a critical position.
- Galaxxus is "mandatory". This thing will gives you 40-50% of your V'Tar.
- V'Tar Force Sentry enchantment is a huge deal. These enchantments unlike most other V'Tar stuff doesnt require you to control the orb, and really allow you to control the board.
- Ranged units are also very important. They allow to clear Sslak without being hit and also allow to attack the guards opponent will leave on orbs.
« Last Edit: October 25, 2015, 12:39:08 PM by Wildhorn »

Puddnhead

• Member of Arcane Duels; MageCast Co-host
  • Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 8
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 26, 2015, 10:35:51 AM »

I love domination...this is my one beef with it.  I just don't understand why this card was created.
  • Favourite Mage: Salenia Forcemaster

Wildhorn

• Superior artificial brain, feel free to call me Blaine.
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 3
    • View Profile
    • Mage Wars Quebec
« Reply #14 on: October 27, 2015, 02:33:46 PM »

I love domination...this is my one beef with it.  I just don't understand why this card was created.

Samething. Because with my Warlord, I can get control of an orb on turn 4 with a good board presence and lay Galaxxus down that turn. So a game will last maximum 13 turns (for a 14 V'Tar map), but most likely I will get a 2nd Orb on turn 6, so most likely 9 turn. On a 11 V'Tar map, Gallaxus is just insane.