May 07, 2024, 01:54:48 PM

Author Topic: Charlotte area Necromancer  (Read 10644 times)

JasonBourneZombie

• Playtester
  • Sr. Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
Re: Charlotte area Necromancer
« Reply #15 on: May 28, 2015, 01:14:26 PM »
@Coshade- I don't play on OCTGN. Skellies are much more expensive in general than the zombies, and may not play well in a double spawnpoint environment. Zombies go up to 11 mana and skellies, not including the dragon, go up to 16. Different builds for different creature types is fine. Force master can give me fits, but half a dozen psychic immune creatures hitting him gives him fits too, and the corruptions are really meant for him in any case.

@Intangible0- Zombies are just about, and most literally true of the crawlers, half of most normal creatures. They have resiliency, but bad rolls can make them die quickly. I have played every creature in my book a few times now in marathon games. Maybe it's just a conceit, but after those games I tend to swear never to let that happen again.

@SharkBait- He's usually an early drop, though I've cast him late game as a final nail. Sending him out early against the druid is always fun, but I've used him far more often against local warlords. Something like, turn 1 drop a crystal forward and step right once. Turn 2, drop him and place a face down enchantment, likely nullify. Turn three, he steps up and you put on cheetah speed and mongoose agility, face down. Turn four, reveal enchantments and he runs up and hits the warlord's barracks, ignoring guards in the zone and usually taking it half way down. The enemy usually starts responding to him and ignores me setting up spawnpoints since losing their only one, and an effective 3 mana per turn, seems more urgent. If he can take out enemy creatures too, that is a pretty good bonus and I've had him last the rest of the game as well.

@gerni- Knowing when to hold a wall in hand is very important. Knowing when to have the cloak on early is important. This usually means that mages that want to directly hurt you are very close and near double spawnpoints. They can stand in a zone putting out the 2 creatures a turn if they want. The mage end of this book is definitely a finesse game; if you position yourself poorly, you will get rushed, and they will take something from you. You have to know when to develop, when to counter rush, and when to prepare a defense.

As for armor stackers, they take time to stack, which gives me time I need to take the creature game in hand. Zombies do have trouble against decent armor when doing regular attack rolls, but the chance to do 3 immediate non-mitigatable damage with the venomous zombies' taint adds up quickly along with an upkeep trigger of rot from plague zombies. Dodgers have to dodge too many creatures to come out unscathed. The ravenous ghoul/zombie brute+eternal servant combo is decent for a guard with piercing, though mana intensive. And I have had the book dissolved before and other games where the graveyard got hammered. It sucks. Never really stopped me, though. You still have a spawnpoint and your own full action. Necro zombie builds afford mana discounts that usually allow you to take that hit.

Still not saying it is perfect, or fast, but it has more versatility than you would expect.
  • Favourite Mage: Darkfenne Necromancer
...ergh...argh...

Phillus

• Jr. Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 30, 2015, 06:26:41 PM »
What do you use for Eternal Servants?

Laddinfance

• Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 30, 2015, 06:32:24 PM »
If I'm a Zombie Focused Necro: Deathfang

If I'm a Skeleton Focused Necro: Venomous Zombie

Good Regardless of Focus: Skeletal Archer, Plague Zombie

I find that when looking at Eternal Servants I want to cover the weaknesses of my chosen troops. So for zombies I have Deathfang that is quick. For Skeletons I have the Venomous Zombie as Skeletons have a harder time applying poison conditions to things.

SKeletal Archer and Plague Zombie are always good choices as they can really make use of the abilities from Eternal Servant.

JasonBourneZombie

• Playtester
  • Sr. Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 30, 2015, 11:54:22 PM »
I  usually make a Ravenous Ghoul my servant if I need to respond to something quickly early game. If it isn't allocated late game, I tend to give it to a plague zombie and send it off into a densely packed zone. I put the sacrificial altar in recently to speed up the combo somewhat. Very useful for priestess and warlord zone-busting since they have a tendency to set up shop in one zone. Even the priestess has difficulty dealing with rot placed on multiple creatures.

The altar combo is an expensive, but a fun idea. 9 mana a turn for a 2-3 die 1 piercing attack with a d8+ rot chance,, sac to give something +2 die +2 piercing, place rot on everything in its zone. I would frankly be satisfied with an attack for 9 mana that placed a rot on everything in a zone. Not always useful, but when there's a cluster it really works well.
...ergh...argh...

martinpccare

• New Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: June 24, 2015, 10:22:38 AM »
As I have played against this book I have no doubt in telling you this makes my armor stacking earth wizard cringe a bit. It is so unorthodox a play style that it shakes up my normal strategies. I don't care who you are you do not want to get drained!!!

silverclawgrizzly

• Charlotte Mage Warrior
  • Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: June 26, 2015, 12:23:15 AM »
I have just seen this spell book win a local tournament. It plays VERY well indeed. I did not think it would beat the Earth Wizard like it did.
  • Favourite Mage: Straywood Beastmaster
What we must all remember is no matter the game we were all newbies at one point.

JasonBourneZombie

• Playtester
  • Sr. Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: June 26, 2015, 07:29:58 AM »
I didn't think it would beat the earth wizard the way it did. Only managed that because I managed to read him a couple times early in. If I hadn't, he would have caught me and killed me for sure. Still working on my anti-wizard plans...
...ergh...argh...

martinpccare

• New Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: June 26, 2015, 02:35:29 PM »
I didn't think it would beat the earth wizard the way it did. Only managed that because I managed to read him a couple times early in. If I hadn't, he would have caught me and killed me for sure. Still working on my anti-wizard plans...
Also it was a timed match and I was running an end zone hail Mary. I could stepped back and taken a draw. But no matter how you slice it you got me good on an amazingly close match.

"Most mage warriors look out for the earth wizard... the earth wizard looks out for zombie necromancers"

Coshade

• Arcane Duels Host
  • Administrator
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 6
    • View Profile
    • Arcane Duels!
« Reply #23 on: June 27, 2015, 09:34:54 AM »
Congrats on winning the tournament!
  • Favourite Mage: Malakai Priest

JasonBourneZombie

• Playtester
  • Sr. Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: June 27, 2015, 11:13:09 AM »
Thanks. Had some really close calls. Still getting a read on my opponents' tactics.

Jason Bourne Zombie comes from a match with silverclawgrizzly where a frenzied crawler dealt 7 critical to a damaged Brogan. This tournament's Jason Bourne zombie was a brute that dealt 9 critical to a steelclaw grizzly. If not for that, I am sure the match would have been completely different.
...ergh...argh...

Knabbmaster

• Full Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: June 29, 2015, 11:59:21 AM »
I think this book seems to be way to greedy there is just not enough defensive stuff.
I'm not trying to be a troll but it would surprise me if it could even make round 8 vs a rush build. :-\

Imo you should just remove some creatures and add more armor and maybe even a teleport trap to go along with your walls.

JasonBourneZombie

• Playtester
  • Sr. Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: June 29, 2015, 12:41:48 PM »
Honestly, my book IS the least defensive in my area. It does suffer vs some rush builds, but sometimes it pulls out a surprise or two that swings the match. As to not making round 8, that can be misrepresentative. I've killed priestesses, warlords, and beast masters by round 8.

Most everyone in my area pays double and triple spell points to cover all of their bases, and less than a third of those caution cards see play each game. Silverclaw has a force push and thorn wall in his book to use against aggressive mages, but it doesn't see much use against me.

Not all books have to have the same 'necessary' cards. Restricting your definition of what is necessary and expanding how you can use what you have does eventually lead to greater efficiency.
...ergh...argh...

coyotecloudchasr

• New Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: June 29, 2015, 08:01:51 PM »
I'm a new player, but I have to wonder how this deck would deal with the Mordok's Obelisk, Suppression Cloak and Suppression Orb way of dealing with swarms (my usual method)?  Do you just have so much mana flowing in that they are simply a small inconvenience? If there is an injured mage or creature your zombies will pretty much ignore any conjurations so they can't help you pull them down?

Also if you are dealing with the Tinker Bells Angel type of deck with a super Guardian Angel attacking you, what do you do? Send over the Lord of Fire as quickly as you can and hope it brings her down before she gets too buffed up, or try to time the Arcane Corruption to avoid the opponent's Dispels and Nullify?  It just seems too easy for their flying angel of death free to wreak havoc as you have few guards, direct damage, Maim Wings or flyers.
  • Favourite Mage: Arraxian Crown Warlock

JasonBourneZombie

• Playtester
  • Sr. Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: June 29, 2015, 09:35:11 PM »
Fewer people play the obelisk, cloak, and orb at the same time than you would think, but I do still have tactics for those situations. Lead in with larger creatures, like the brute and ghoul. Unlike the crawlers, they hit hard and have relatively good movement speeds. Making a ghoul your eternal servant works well enough early to mid game, since that leaves you with a 4 dice 2 piercing fast creature that can come back in the square you wanted it attacking in the first place. Otherwise, players investing heavily in this strategy either have very few creatures of their own, or are mana poor. Sometimes you can just field lumbering zombies, and they will be enough without the frenzy. Taint and rot help this strategy immensely.

I've not yet dealt with the tinker bell's angel tactic yet, but my initial response is maim wings, arcane corruption, drain life/soul, or adremalech. Admittedly, timing is crucial to avoid nullify, but my area's nullify game is off the charts, so I feel I would have at least a decent chance of slipping some incantations and curses through. Worst comes to worst, put out a brute to guard. Another tactic I use is simply ignoring certain cards. Make something slow, and then calmly stroll about the field as it struggles to catch you. Either the enemy Mage runs towards your zombies to do dispel work, or they accept it as a loss, even temporarily. Either way, many gambits lose their tempo this way. Won't work every time, but good to have in your repertoire.

I try not to represent this book as working well against everything, but it does have answers that at least curb many different tactics enemy mages would employ. What I most lack in terms of experience, is facing forcemasters. I imagine I will be remedying this soon, though. Dreaming up new tactics already.
...ergh...argh...

silverclawgrizzly

• Charlotte Mage Warrior
  • Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: June 29, 2015, 11:55:09 PM »
Must remember to throw JasonBourneZombie through a wall of thorns soon....

• Favourite Mage: Straywood Beastmaster
What we must all remember is no matter the game we were all newbies at one point.