May 04, 2024, 05:39:13 AM

Author Topic: Does the Hellfire trap stop movement  (Read 4628 times)

Werekingdom

• Full Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
Does the Hellfire trap stop movement
« on: October 21, 2016, 05:00:26 PM »
Hi Guys,

Quick question: Does the Hellfire trap stop/hinder movement.

I was trying to think of ways to prevent an elusive mage from running away from my zombies.
Since I'm targeting the mage, he'll probably have a Null. So I thought I could cast a Hellfire Trap or two to slow his movement. If he uses Teleport then I'm still happy, (one less Teleport to deal with later). I know that the Spike trap may work better, but in cost too much in mana and spell points.

Thanks
  • Favourite Mage: Malakai Priest
Kill with Tanglevine

Kelanen

• Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 1
    • View Profile
Re: Does the Hellfire trap stop movement
« Reply #1 on: October 21, 2016, 05:22:15 PM »
No - it doesn't say it hinders, nor does it give a stuck or crippled condition - it has no effect on movement, it will just do 4 dice of damage and maybe a burn. You need Spiked Pit or Teleport Trap.

Try using Enfeeble?

Super Sorcerer

• Full Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 22, 2016, 02:06:36 PM »
ב"ה
I know it's a rules question and not a strategy question, and Werekingdom already answered the rules question, but I must suggest tanlevine. Tanglevine is a conjuration, so it is not affected by nullify.

Boocheck

• Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 22, 2016, 02:47:25 PM »
ב"ה
I know it's a rules question and not a strategy question, and Werekingdom already answered the rules question, but I must suggest tanlevine. Tanglevine is a conjuration, so it is not affected by nullify.

Thats a way around it.

But nullify only prevents you from being targeted by an Enchantement spell. It does not prevent an attack from enchantement trap. (nervously waiting for zuberi to confirm it :D )

Super Sorcerer... is that hebrew? I am curious. At first, i was thinking that it is some kind of sing from mobile or tablet.
« Last Edit: October 22, 2016, 02:49:33 PM by Boocheck »
  • Favourite Mage: Bloodwave Warlord
I am one with the force, the force is with me! (Warlord is still my fav mage ;) )

wtcannonjr

• Ambassador of Wychwood
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 3
    • View Profile
    • WBC Mage Wars Tournament
« Reply #4 on: October 23, 2016, 08:53:25 AM »
Walls and Mangler Caltrops are spells that also hinder movement. Walls also help limit Teleport escapes as well.

With Paladin vs. Siren we have terrain spells now that also hinder movement.
  • Favourite Mage: Wychwood Druid
"Not everything that is faced can be changed, but nothing can be changed until it is faced." - James Baldwin

Super Sorcerer

• Full Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 27, 2016, 02:25:27 PM »
ב"ה

Super Sorcerer... is that hebrew? I am curious. At first, i was thinking that it is some kind of sing from mobile or tablet.
It is. It stands for 'בעזרת ה , which means "With God's Help". בעזרת is "with the help of" and since we don't write or say God's name in hebrew except for Prayer and reading from the bible, it is marked with 'ה and pronounced "Hashem" (Which means "The name").
Some write בס"ד, which means "With heaven's help". Some write לק"י, which stands for Genesis chapter 49 verse 18, that king Jame's bible translate as "I have waited for thy salvation, O LORD." (י is the first letter of God's name, which would be used here and not 'ה because it is a verse from the bible).

Laddinfance

• Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 27, 2016, 02:31:30 PM »
ב"ה

It is. It stands for 'בעזרת ה , which means "With God's Help". בעזרת is "with the help of" and since we don't write or say God's name in hebrew except for Prayer and reading from the bible, it is marked with 'ה and pronounced "Hashem" (Which means "The name").
Some write בס"ד, which means "With heaven's help". Some write לק"י, which stands for Genesis chapter 49 verse 18, that king Jame's bible translate as "I have waited for thy salvation, O LORD." (י is the first letter of God's name, which would be used here and not 'ה because it is a verse from the bible).

See, now I feel like a horrible person. I thought it was a super advanced emoji cause it looked like a guy's face with a big nose. And now I'm sorry. I love linguistic stuff and so this was super fascinating for me, once I got past thinkn' it was an emoji. :(

Sailor Vulcan

• Secret Identity: Imaginator
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 27, 2016, 03:30:13 PM »
ב"ה

Isn't the בסד version of the saying kind of redundant? From the sound of it it basically means "with the help of the salvation of the lord, which we have waited for". Salvation is a more specific word for help, so it's basically saying "with the help of the help of the lord, which we have waited for."

However I don't know Hebrew so maybe I'm wrong. Double negatives are allowed in Spanish after all, so there's no reason for Hebrew to not have semantically redundant syntax sometimes.
  • Favourite Mage: Salenia Forcemaster
I am Sailor Vulcan! Champion of justice and reason! And yes, I am already aware my uniform is considered flashy, unprofessional, and borderline sexually provocative for my species by most intelligent lifeforms. I did not choose this outfit. Shut up.

Super Sorcerer

• Full Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 28, 2016, 02:22:58 AM »
ב"ה
Isn't the בסד version of the saying kind of redundant? From the sound of it it basically means "with the help of the salvation of the lord, which we have waited for".

The one with the salvation in לק"י. And it doesn't say anything about help, only about hoping for salvation.

The בס"ד version is "With heavens help".

Super Sorcerer

• Full Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 28, 2016, 03:10:53 AM »
ב"ה
See, now I feel like a horrible person. I thought it was a super advanced emoji cause it looked like a guy's face with a big nose. And now I'm sorry. I love linguistic stuff and so this was super fascinating for me, once I got past thinkn' it was an emoji. :(
I really like the "super advanced emoji" theory. It made me laugh :)
And you should actually feel like a wonderful person for thinking I was far more sophisticated than I really was. Assuming by default that other people are awesome is a good virtue  :D

Laddinfance

• Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 28, 2016, 08:12:18 AM »
ב"ה
I really like the "super advanced emoji" theory. It made me laugh :)
And you should actually feel like a wonderful person for thinking I was far more sophisticated than I really was. Assuming by default that other people are awesome is a good virtue  :D

Most of the time I would totally agree with you. :-D

bigfatchef

• Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 28, 2016, 06:49:59 PM »
After reading this I think I played teleport trap wrong...
To be sure: if one of your creatures (not a slow one) enters a zone with an enemy controlled teleport trap he can teleport you away instantly. But then your move is not over and you can move one more zone (if not hindered in that new zone) or start fighting or do some other quick action. As if you walked in that new zone as usual.
Right?

Zuberi

• Rules Guru
  • Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 57
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 29, 2016, 06:56:27 AM »
Correct. Teleport trap doesn't negate your quick action, so if it was your first move you can still use your quick action for whatever purpose you'd like, including a second move. Assuming, like you said, its actions aren't limited by other factors like the slow trait.