May 16, 2024, 04:17:24 AM

Author Topic: Reverse Magic and Teleport  (Read 9649 times)

thedredman

• New Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
Reverse Magic and Teleport
« on: December 12, 2012, 12:52:49 PM »
Was thinking about it, and this actually has come up more than once, not sure if we are doing it right.  What happens if he tries to teleport me, but I have reverse magic on?  I understand the steps to go through, but this one seems harder for me to get my head around, could argue it more than one way. Does he pay for where he wanted to teleport me?  or does he pay for where I decide to teleport him?  Along the same lines, with Nullify, should he clarify where he was trying to teleport me so he knows how much mana to spend even though the teleport is nullified?  We keep forgetting and I reveal teleport before he declares the zone he wants to teleport to.  In a tourney or something, he could just say he was only going to move you one space to avoid paying the extra mana.

pixelgeek

• Global Moderator
  • Sr. Mage
  • Banana Stickers 2
    • View Profile
    • Zac's Gaming Blog
Re: Reverse Magic and Teleport
« Reply #1 on: December 12, 2012, 01:23:00 PM »
Step 1 requires that all costs, including Mana, be paid before you go to Step 2. Your opponent would have to announce and pay the Mana to move you as part of the casting cost before you reveal Reverse Magic.
  • Favourite Mage: Adramelech Warlock
Arcane Wonders Web Guy
Problem with the forums or website?

Send me a PM

Words to live by: I commit strongly to defending my wand.   Precisely so that I don't lose it.

Drealin

• Full Mage
  • Banana Stickers 1
    • View Profile
Re: Reverse Magic and Teleport
« Reply #2 on: December 13, 2012, 12:24:22 PM »
One thing that can help make sure you complete a step before moving on to the next one, is to say what step you are on out loud.  At least until you become familiar with what is involved in each step.  It can be very easy to try and do everything at once to save time, but as you've seen, that could cause more time to be spent arguing about what is really happening.  Also, if you want to play in a tournament then it would be beneficial to be used to ensuring that a step is fully completed before moving onto the next one.
Another reason for this is that any Enchantment can be revealed between any steps.  If you get used to 'jumping the gun' and revealing when a step is declared not after it is resolved, you are cheating even if it doesn't really affect anything.
I've done the same thing, and found that saying the steps out loud helps to ensure that everything is done in order, and correctly.