May 08, 2024, 09:12:11 AM

Author Topic: Couple of rules questions.  (Read 6762 times)

Archwizard07

• New Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
Couple of rules questions.
« on: June 05, 2014, 08:48:36 AM »
So I did a very brief search and most likely didn't choose my wording right or I'm just being too lazy, either way I need some clarification on a couple of issues.

1) When I familiar casts an enchantment, can they pay the reveal cost if they do at the same time as the initial casting?

2) Can you use the same piece of equipment twice in the same round? IE. two castings of dispel from your wand, or two swings of a weapons quick attack?

Thanks in advance,

ACG

• Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 5
    • View Profile
Re: Couple of rules questions.
« Reply #1 on: June 05, 2014, 08:52:35 AM »
1) When I familiar casts an enchantment, can they pay the reveal cost if they do at the same time as the initial casting?

No. They may only pay the 2 mana casting cost.

2) Can you use the same piece of equipment twice in the same round? IE. two castings of dispel from your wand, or two swings of a weapons quick attack?

If it does not specifically prohibit you from using it twice, you may do so. (provided you have enough actions).

Archwizard07

• New Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 05, 2014, 08:57:57 AM »
Thanks!

I thought so on both counts but always good to get a reading from the masses!

lettucemode

« Reply #3 on: June 05, 2014, 09:22:14 AM »
I don't think there's a way you can ever use a weapon's quick attack twice in one round, short of battle fury or the double/triple strike traits.

Edit: also guarding

Schwenkgott

• Thunderdome
  • Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 05, 2014, 09:30:48 AM »
Rulebook Page 21:

The bound spell can be cast as if it was one of the
spells you prepared during the Planning Phase. You
may only cast it once per round.

-> No double casting in a round from the Mage Wand.
Akiro, I have never prayed to you before. No one will remember if we were good men or bad. Why we fought, or why we died. All that matters is that one stood against many. That's what's important! Valor pleases you, Akiro... so grant me strength! And if you do not listen, then to HELL with you!

Archwizard07

• New Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 05, 2014, 10:54:39 AM »
Well now I'm confused....

Any further thoughts?

Lord0fWinter

• Warden of the North
  • Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 7
  • www.magewars.weebly.com
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 05, 2014, 11:13:19 AM »
You can't. For Mage Wand and Elemental Wand, you can only cast the spell once per round b/c it is spellbound. Schwenkgott's post is correct about that. Other wands like [mwcard=DNQ09]Wand of Healing[/mwcard] and [mwcard=MWSTX1CKQ05]Dispel Wand[/mwcard] state on them that they can only be cast once a round.

For weapons, they do not get used as a quick spell, so you can't attack with them with your QC marker, even if they are a quick action. The only way to attack with them twice in the same round is, as lettucemode says, with Battle Fury, the double or triplestrike trait, or with guarding.
  • Favourite Mage: Darkfenne Necromancer
Visit my Mage Wars blog at www.magewars.weebly.com, also check me out on facebook at https://www.facebook.com/MageWarsBlog and on twitter at @MageWarsBlog

Schwenkgott

• Thunderdome
  • Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 05, 2014, 11:17:31 AM »
Any other equipment with a bound spell works same way:

Elemental Wand with Attack Spell
Helm of Command with Incantation

You can only use them once every round.
Akiro, I have never prayed to you before. No one will remember if we were good men or bad. Why we fought, or why we died. All that matters is that one stood against many. That's what's important! Valor pleases you, Akiro... so grant me strength! And if you do not listen, then to HELL with you!

sIKE

• Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 18
  • Ugh
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 05, 2014, 11:33:37 AM »
The Dispel Wand will let you use each of its two actions once per round, other than that all other Object that let you bind a spell can only be used once per round.
  • Favourite Mage: Malakai Priest

Shad0w

• Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 05, 2014, 04:34:18 PM »
So I did a very brief search and most likely didn't choose my wording right or I'm just being too lazy, either way I need some clarification on a couple of issues.

Thanks in advance,

1: Reveal is not casting and Enchants are always cast face down. So no familiar can currently pay reveal cost.

2: To use something twice in the same round would require 3 quick actions

For example Mage Wand and Elemental Wand you would need to cast a spell using an already attached wand, then cast another copy of that wand, after doing this you could then cast the attached spell. Since no mage has 2 QC makers this is impossible.

Remember that the Quick cast marker is for casting only. It does not let you take an extra quick action. 
« Last Edit: June 05, 2014, 04:37:11 PM by Shad0w »
"Darth come prove to meet you are worthy of the fighting for your school in the arena and not just another scholar to be discarded like an worn out rag doll"

Quote: Shad0w the Arcmage

Archwizard07

• New Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 06, 2014, 08:35:49 AM »
Good feedback and discussion all, that's why I love this game!

While the rules are pretty clear there are still lots of intricacies that make everytime you play a chance to learn something new!!

thanks again all!!

DaveW

• Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 07, 2014, 03:35:27 PM »
2) Can you use the same piece of equipment twice in the same round?

Other than a Dispel Wand, I guess. You could use that twice in a round if it had been cast in a prior round. One use for this would be to see a face down enchantment to make sure it's not an Enchantment Transfusion before deciding whether to use the dispel function from the same wand to eliminate a revealed enchantment on that creature.
  • Favourite Mage: Asyra Priestess

Shad0w

• Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 07, 2014, 04:45:12 PM »
2) Can you use the same piece of equipment twice in the same round?

Other than a Dispel Wand, I guess. You could use that twice in a round if it had been cast in a prior round. One use for this would be to see a face down enchantment to make sure it's not an Enchantment Transfusion before deciding whether to use the dispel function from the same wand to eliminate a revealed enchantment on that creature.

Dispell wand is also restricted to once per round [mwcard=MWSTX1CKQ05] Dispel Wand[/mwcard] so would have to replace it
"Darth come prove to meet you are worthy of the fighting for your school in the arena and not just another scholar to be discarded like an worn out rag doll"

Quote: Shad0w the Arcmage

Wildhorn

• Superior artificial brain, feel free to call me Blaine.
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 3
    • View Profile
    • Mage Wars Quebec
« Reply #13 on: June 09, 2014, 12:24:29 PM »
Each ability of Dispel Wand can be used once.

sIKE

• Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 18
  • Ugh
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 09, 2014, 12:55:08 PM »
That's what I said 8)
  • Favourite Mage: Malakai Priest