May 11, 2024, 10:19:18 AM

Author Topic: Exact timing for enchantment revealing vs seeking dispel.  (Read 8218 times)

JasonBourneZombie

• Playtester
  • Sr. Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
Re: Exact timing for enchantment revealing vs seeking dispel.
« Reply #15 on: April 12, 2016, 02:10:37 PM »
Yup. In this instance seeking dispel wins vs enchantment revealing.
  • Favourite Mage: Darkfenne Necromancer
...ergh...argh...

Brian VanAlstyne

• Sr. Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 12, 2016, 02:17:27 PM »
If the mage who attached the Magebane also had an Enchantment Transfusion attached, would they be allowed to move the Magebane to another legal target?

Laddinfance

• Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 12, 2016, 02:22:44 PM »
Seeking Dispel only prevents the targeted card from being revealed, so if they didn't target the Enchantment Transfusion, then yes they could move it, but only at the proper window.

Sailor Vulcan

• Secret Identity: Imaginator
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 12, 2016, 03:57:15 PM »
Once someone declares an action, then you have to wait for the next applicable window to reveal. This is why you cannot "respond" to someone declaring that they'll move. You have to wait until you reach the end of one of the steps in the movement sequence.

So for your example with the seeking dispel, you could reveal an enchantment after the steps of casting a spell, but not when they "say" they're casting a spell.

Make sense?

So an action "begins" once the marker is flipped or if the player says they want to do an action, not when they actually reveal the card they want to cast. I didn't know that! And I've been playing for three years!
  • Favourite Mage: Salenia Forcemaster
I am Sailor Vulcan! Champion of justice and reason! And yes, I am already aware my uniform is considered flashy, unprofessional, and borderline sexually provocative for my species by most intelligent lifeforms. I did not choose this outfit. Shut up.

sIKE

• Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 18
  • Ugh
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 12, 2016, 04:06:51 PM »
Page 8 of the Rulebook:

When you take your quickcast action, flip your quickcast marker face down and play any quick spell you have prepared for this round.
  • Favourite Mage: Malakai Priest

DaveW

• Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: April 12, 2016, 04:20:18 PM »
Not yet.

Are we saying that the incantation "Seeking Dispel" that targets a "Mage Bane" enchantment is declared, then the Mage Bane can be revealed, making the Mage Bane no longer a legal target since it is now revealed?
  • Favourite Mage: Asyra Priestess

SharkBait

• Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 10
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: April 12, 2016, 04:28:19 PM »
Not yet.

Are we saying that the incantation "Seeking Dispel" that targets a "Mage Bane" enchantment is declared, then the Mage Bane can be revealed, making the Mage Bane no longer a legal target since it is now revealed?

The ruling is the opposite. If the seeking dispel is revealed, no enchantment (including mage bane) can be revealed "in response". The original post asked if merely flipping the action marker (or quick cast in this case) constituted an event that could prompt a reveal to which the response was no. The reveal can happen only during certain steps of casting a spell and seeking dispel is a special case that prevents revealing
  • Favourite Mage: Adramelech Warlock
When in doubt, kill it with fire

sIKE

• Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 18
  • Ugh
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: April 12, 2016, 04:44:21 PM »
I really think the original intent of the OP was to determine if "flipping" the QC Marker was the official start of the 4 steps of casting a spell, as least that is how I read it. And the answer should be yes....
  • Favourite Mage: Malakai Priest

JasonBourneZombie

• Playtester
  • Sr. Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: April 12, 2016, 07:31:36 PM »
With the wording in the core rules regarding revealing enchantments being

you may choose to reveal an enchantment immediately after any action or event
at the end of phases, after creature activations, each step of attacking and casting, and move actions

I wanted to know if flipping the quick cast marker was an event that could be followed by an enchant reveal. Ruling was no. The spell must be revealed, targets declared, and costs paid before anything can be revealed. This means seeking dispel's effects apply.

« Last Edit: April 12, 2016, 07:41:31 PM by JasonBourneZombie »
...ergh...argh...

exid

• Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 4
  • The longer the better!
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: April 12, 2016, 11:18:30 PM »
With the wording in the core rules regarding revealing enchantments being

you may choose to reveal an enchantment immediately after any action or event
at the end of phases, after creature activations, each step of attacking and casting, and move actions

I wanted to know if flipping the quick cast marker was an event that could be followed by an enchant reveal. Ruling was no. The spell must be revealed, targets declared, and costs paid before anything can be revealed. This means seeking dispel's effects apply.
i realise now the problem is you don't have the last (4th) version of the rules: the word "event", that wasn't clear, was in previous versions!

JasonBourneZombie

• Playtester
  • Sr. Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: April 13, 2016, 09:59:03 AM »
Mmm. Time to replace the ol' pdf on my phone then.
...ergh...argh...

Zuberi

• Rules Guru
  • Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 57
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: April 13, 2016, 02:53:02 PM »
The rules say you can reveal after any step, phase, or action, and then go on to also allow you to reveal after an activation. The important thing to note here is that flipping a marker of any kind is not a step, phase, or action unto itself. Markers are simply reminders to let you know what you have and haven't done. So, to figure out whether or not you can reveal an enchantment after flipping a marker, you need to think about what it is that marker actually represents doing.

For the action marker, flipping it indicates that you have activated the creature. You are allowed to reveal after activating a creature so you are fine. For the quickcast marker, it represents that you have completed the Declare Spell step of a bonus quick action spell for the round. You are allowed to reveal an enchantment after this normally, but seeking dispel specifically prohibits revealing and overrides the normal rule.

That's the important thing here. The quickcast marker doesn't indicate that you're about to cast a spell. There is no warning step or activation for it to represent. It indicates that you HAVE cast a spell. You have used your quickcast. It is not a separate thing from the quickcast.
« Last Edit: April 13, 2016, 03:19:03 PM by Zuberi »