May 11, 2024, 01:28:11 PM

Author Topic: Exact timing for enchantment revealing vs seeking dispel.  (Read 8219 times)

JasonBourneZombie

• Playtester
  • Sr. Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
Exact timing for enchantment revealing vs seeking dispel.
« on: April 12, 2016, 08:01:41 AM »
Interesting rules question. A wizard has an opponent's face down enchantment underneath him. He holds his quick spell for that first quick cast phase.

During the action phase, before his first action, he chooses to cast seeking dispel on the face down enchantment using his quick cast marker. His opponent wishes to reveal magebane after the quick cast marker is flipped, but before the dispel is announced.

Is that a legal time period to reveal an enchantment?  Rules say after any action or event, but I do not know if using the quick cast qualifies. If it were cast using an action, there would be a time period during activation, but this is a quick cast using the quick spell marker.
  • Favourite Mage: Darkfenne Necromancer
...ergh...argh...

Halewijn

• Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 6
    • View Profile
Re: Exact timing for enchantment revealing vs seeking dispel.
« Reply #1 on: April 12, 2016, 08:58:57 AM »
I'd say as long as the seeking dispel hasn't been revealed, flipping the enchantment is legal. However, I'd let the opponent reflip his marker and not cast a quick cast if he wishes so.
  • Favourite Mage: Bloodwave Warlord
When in doubt kill it with fire? I never doubt and crush them right away.

exid

• Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 4
  • The longer the better!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 12, 2016, 09:16:23 AM »
rule says: after "any action, step or phase"... turning a marker is no of these.
rule adds: after a creature is activated, but the quickcast is no activation.

my answer is no!

sIKE

• Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 18
  • Ugh
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 12, 2016, 09:43:03 AM »
This would all happen during one of the Phases in the Action Stage. However like Exid pointed once the QC marker is flipped the Mage is in the process of casting the Spell and would have to pay the casting cost at that point. The first chance to reveal Mage Bane would be during the counter spell step, however since the step when the casting cost of the spell has already been paid, Mage Bane would have no effect on this particular spell, as going back in time is not allowed in MW.

One note, since you were in the Quick Cast phase, you could of legally revealed Mage Bane before the QC marker was flipped and it would of affected the spells casting cost. If you are in one of the Phases of the Ready Stage you could only reveal Mage Bane at the end of each of those Phases.
  • Favourite Mage: Malakai Priest

exid

• Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 4
  • The longer the better!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 12, 2016, 10:21:31 AM »
i answered about revealing an enchantment after fliping the QC marker (i think you can't).

now about magebane: the supplement says that magebane can be revealed after counter-spell step and will make 1 damage for this spell.
« Last Edit: April 12, 2016, 10:25:36 AM by Exid »

exid

• Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 4
  • The longer the better!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 12, 2016, 10:24:54 AM »
One note, since you were in the Quick Cast phase, you could of legally revealed Mage Bane before the QC marker was flipped and it would of affected the spells casting cost.

During the QC phase, you can reveale after something.
if nobody uses his QC, you can only reveal ath the end of the phase itself.

JasonBourneZombie

• Playtester
  • Sr. Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 12, 2016, 10:29:14 AM »
Right. The matter was revealing magebane during the action phase, but the qc marker was used to cast seeking dispel before an action was taken by that mage.

Steps are:
Initial quick phase ends.
Wizard chooses to use quick before wizard takes full.
Wizard flips marker to cast quick spell seeking dispel, but had not revealed the spell being cast.
Warlock attempts to reveal magebane
Wizard claims it is not a legal reveal time, and that the spell is seeking dispel, which prevents revealing.

So. There is no time frame between declaring a quick cast during the action phase in which you could reveal an enchantment before seeking dispel would prevent the revealing?
...ergh...argh...

JasonBourneZombie

• Playtester
  • Sr. Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 12, 2016, 10:31:36 AM »
i answered about revealing an enchantment after fliping the QC marker (i think you can't).

now about magebane: the supplement says that magebane can be revealed after counter-spell step and will make 1 damage for this spell.

Right, but seeking dispel prevents revealing in this case. There would be no real question about the timing if it were not a seeking dispel being played on the magebane.
...ergh...argh...

exid

• Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 4
  • The longer the better!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 12, 2016, 10:36:25 AM »

Right, but seeking dispel prevents revealing in this case. There would be no real question about the timing if it were not a seeking dispel being played on the magebane.

i didn't understand the seeking dispel targeted the magebane...
the magebane can't be revealed during the couterspell of seeking dispel (on the card), and since it can't be revealed befor, you loose it!

sIKE

• Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 18
  • Ugh
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 12, 2016, 10:37:44 AM »

Nice catch!

Magebane deals its damage after the spell that triggered it has been resolved.

Biblofilter

• Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 12, 2016, 10:41:44 AM »
But it makes no sense

If Magebane is dispelled it can not be revealed (then it would stay on I guess)

Is anyone saying that Magebane deals damage without being revealed?
  • Favourite Mage: Wychwood Druid
"Töten". "Alles Töten".
Best strat advice ever

exid

• Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 4
  • The longer the better!
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 12, 2016, 10:54:30 AM »
But it makes no sense

If Magebane is dispelled it can not be revealed (then it would stay on I guess)

Is anyone saying that Magebane deals damage without being revealed?

if the seeking dispel would target another enchantment, magebane could be revealed at the end of the counter spell step and deal damage

sIKE

• Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 18
  • Ugh
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 12, 2016, 10:56:25 AM »
One assumption I made was that the hidden Mage Bane was not the target of the Seeking Dispel which would have been declared in the Cast Spell Step.

JasonBourneZombie

• Playtester
  • Sr. Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 12, 2016, 10:57:17 AM »
The idea is that a shrewd mage could reveal magebane after the opponent declares a quick cast action is about to take place, but before the spell is cast.

This way the opponent preps a seeking dispel, but when he tries to use it the magebane is revealed before the seeking dispel can kill it. You CAN use this tactic by using the the end of planning, deployment, and initial quick cast phases, but can NOT interrupt a quick cast of seeking dispel targeting it.

My take away from the rules seems to imply you can't, but I did not find any sort of explicit proof and did not want to keep assuming.
...ergh...argh...

Laddinfance

• Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 12, 2016, 12:49:22 PM »
Once someone declares an action, then you have to wait for the next applicable window to reveal. This is why you cannot "respond" to someone declaring that they'll move. You have to wait until you reach the end of one of the steps in the movement sequence.

So for your example with the seeking dispel, you could reveal an enchantment after the steps of casting a spell, but not when they "say" they're casting a spell.

Make sense?