May 11, 2024, 09:51:31 PM

Author Topic: Can you use a Spawnpoint with muti school  (Read 8714 times)

Kharhaz

• Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 7
    • View Profile
Re: Can you use a Spawnpoint with muti school
« Reply #15 on: March 31, 2016, 05:30:36 PM »
Meaning that both raincloud and renewing rain would be a level 2 water spell, in which the druid is not trained.

So you are saying that a Druid pays four spellbook points to put either spell in the book, correct? This is different from what was said earlier by Puddnhead, which I believe Zuberi also is intimating.

No it's 3

sIKE

• Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 18
  • Ugh
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 31, 2016, 05:42:51 PM »
This spell [mwcard=MWBG1J04]Raincloud[/mwcard] costs 3 spellbook points.

Level 1 Air is a 2x cost for the Druid so it costs 2SBP's
Level 1 Water is a 2x cost for the Druid so it costs 1SBP.

Added together for a total of 3SBPs.

If one of the Schools in a Multi School card matches the required school of the Spawnpoint then it is legal to bind it to the Spawnpoint during the Planning phase.
« Last Edit: March 31, 2016, 05:48:57 PM by sIKE »
  • Favourite Mage: Malakai Priest

exid

• Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 4
  • The longer the better!
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 01, 2016, 12:51:32 AM »
No error, just not really relevant. Nothing in the game currently is affected by this fact, and may never be, but it's something I found interesting. The druid isn't trained in level 1 water spells, she's trained in level 1 of the water school. Not the same thing.

Basically, just pointing out that creature level and creature school are two separate stats. This creature is level 5, and arcane, and dark. Or pit another way, it is a leveln 5 arcane and dark creature. Or another, it is both a level 5 arcane creature and a level 5 dark creature.

Sorry for any confusion this may have caused. Absolutely no effects on game play and no need to worry about it, just me being geeky.

ok...
1) a spell with an & has to add his partial levels to determinate his level
2) a spell withh an & is in both schools
3) the building druid pays simple the watter part of any spell that has a 1 watter part

4) what you pointed out is that if a card would target a "level one water spell", it couldn't target the rain cloud, right?

Zuberi

• Rules Guru
  • Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 57
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 01, 2016, 03:03:28 PM »
Correct. The raincloud is a level 2 spell so couldn't be targeted by the hypothetical spell you mention. Such a spell would be intended to only work against level 1 spells, and a higher level spell couldn't cheat it's way into being valid by being multi school because level and school are separate. You've got it exactly. Again this is all just hypothetical though and I don't know if it will ever be relevant.

DaveW

• Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 01, 2016, 04:56:16 PM »

My understanding also is that a level 2 water spell would not be trained at all... not even the first level of the two levels... so (please correct me if I'm wrong) the level 2 water spell would cost a Druid more in spellbook points than a level 2 spell that was one level of water and one level of something else that is not opposed... like the Raincloud. This doesn't make sense to me.
  • Favourite Mage: Asyra Priestess

Puddnhead

• Member of Arcane Duels; MageCast Co-host
  • Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 8
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: April 01, 2016, 05:36:51 PM »

My understanding also is that a level 2 water spell would not be trained at all... not even the first level of the two levels... so (please correct me if I'm wrong) the level 2 water spell would cost a Druid more in spellbook points than a level 2 spell that was one level of water and one level of something else that is not opposed... like the Raincloud. This doesn't make sense to me.

Yes, for example an [mwcard=MW1Q08]Elemental Wand[/mwcard] would cost the Druid 4 spell book points.  The way I like to think about it is that the Druid does not have as much experience with controlling that much water all at once.  She just dabbles in garden hose power level water not in Tsunami power level water.
  • Favourite Mage: Salenia Forcemaster

Zuberi

• Rules Guru
  • Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 57
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: April 01, 2016, 05:48:00 PM »

I agree entirely, but one look at the official spellbook builder will show you that Raincloud costs the Druid 3 spell points. The key thing here is that the Druid's not trained in Level 1 Water Spells, but rather is trained in Level 1 of the Water School. So she is only interested in the levels of the individual schools involved, not the level of the spell.

It would make some sense if the first level of the water school, for a spell like Elemental Wand, cost her 1 point and all other levels in the water school cost double, but that's not how they decided to do it. I believe the thinking was that this way is "simpler" and "easier to determine at a glance."

I'm really regretting getting this thread off track for my own geeky tangent and apologize to everyone.

Brian VanAlstyne

• Sr. Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: April 01, 2016, 08:58:51 PM »
Just so I'm clear now, if a Water Wand was created that is Level 2 water, would it cost 3 or 4 for the Druid?

Puddnhead

• Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 8
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: April 01, 2016, 09:57:11 PM »
1 level of water costs the druid 1 spell book point.  2 levels of water costs the druid 4 spell book points.

wtcannonjr

• Ambassador of Wychwood
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 3
    • View Profile
    • WBC Mage Wars Tournament
« Reply #24 on: April 02, 2016, 08:27:13 AM »
1 level of water costs the druid 1 spell book point.  2 levels of water costs the druid 4 spell book points.

And 1 + 1 = 3. ☺

i.e. 1 level of a trained school and 1 level of a non-trained, non-weak school equal 3 spell points for building a spellbook.
  • Favourite Mage: Wychwood Druid
"Not everything that is faced can be changed, but nothing can be changed until it is faced." - James Baldwin

Puddnhead

• Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 8
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: April 02, 2016, 09:33:26 AM »

And 1 + 1 = 3. ☺

i.e. 1 level of a trained school and 1 level of a non-trained, non-weak school equal 3 spell points for building a spellbook.

There has been quite enough confusion on this thread, please don't obfuscate the way spell book building actually works.  I understand the argument, but that's not how the game treats it.

2 levels of Water for the Druid might as well be two levels of Dark.  A creature that's 2 Water AND 2 Nature would costs 6 points for both the Druid and the Beastmasters.  It would also costs 6 points for a Water Wizard.  Everyone else would pay 8 points (Forcemaster would pay 12).

wtcannonjr

• Ambassador of Wychwood
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 3
    • View Profile
    • WBC Mage Wars Tournament
« Reply #26 on: April 02, 2016, 12:25:46 PM »

And 1 + 1 = 3. ☺

There has been quite enough confusion on this thread, please don't obfuscate the way spell book building actually works.  I understand the argument, but that's not how the game treats it.

2 levels of Water for the Druid might as well be two levels of Dark.  A creature that's 2 Water AND 2 Nature would costs 6 points for both the Druid and the Beastmasters.  It would also costs 6 points for a Water Wizard.  Everyone else would pay 8 points (Forcemaster would pay 12).

My example was meant to elaborate on Zuberi's point about the difference between school levels and overall spell levels. I didn't intend to confuse which is why I added the definitions from the rulebook about trained, non-trained, and weak training. These equate to the x1, X2, or x3 spell point multiplier applied to each school that a spell has in its overall level.
  • Favourite Mage: Wychwood Druid
"Not everything that is faced can be changed, but nothing can be changed until it is faced." - James Baldwin

Puddnhead

• Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 8
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: April 02, 2016, 08:15:32 PM »
Ah, my mistake, I thought you were talking about Elemental Wand and not Raincloud.  Alas, I was the one who got confused.

Laddinfance

• Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: April 02, 2016, 10:10:15 PM »
The Druid is trained in level 1 water. So if a spell is Water 1, then the druid is trained in that. if a spell is an "&" then if one part of that spell is Water 1, the Druid will pay 1 spellpoint for that.

Raincloud is the example and it costs 3 spellpoints.