May 11, 2024, 04:24:14 AM

Author Topic: Spellbind question  (Read 10963 times)

Vargtass

• New Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
Spellbind question
« on: January 28, 2015, 03:34:55 PM »
Hi

Ive tried to search around for a thread answering this but couldnt find one.
I have three questions Im pondering.

* When I change spell for an item/object with spellbind, is the new spell hidden?

* If the new spell is hidden, can I return a spell and then choose to bind the same one just to obscure what I have bound.

Thanks for any help on this

best regards

Pontus

V10lentray

• Member of Arcane Duels
  • Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 1
    • View Profile
Re: Spellbind question
« Reply #1 on: January 28, 2015, 03:45:06 PM »
yes.

not 100% certain but I believe you can return the spell to your book to only place it back, (ie Wizards tower)
  • Favourite Mage: Wychwood Druid

Vargtass

• New Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 28, 2015, 04:07:28 PM »
Thanks!

I wasnt sure if mage wands behave the same way as wizard towers since they specify that you prepare the spell.
Ive had a couple of situations where I have an action (and some mana to spare) for this effect. :)

Kharhaz

• Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 7
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 28, 2015, 04:30:20 PM »
Thanks!

I wasnt sure if mage wands behave the same way as wizard towers since they specify that you prepare the spell.
Ive had a couple of situations where I have an action (and some mana to spare) for this effect. :)

All spells are prepared face down in the planning phase.

DaveW

• Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 28, 2015, 05:57:44 PM »
Thanks!

Note that the Mage Wand (and others) bind a spell that is not replaced during the planning phase. To change a spell bound to a Mage Wand, you must use a quick spell and spend three mana, as noted on the spell card.

You alternately may cast a new Mage Wand at which point the first one and the spell bound to it returns to your spell book. (This would require more mana, but could be done during deployment from a Battle Forge, for example, saving you the action and perhaps allowing you to use a different spell from your wand during the first quickcast phase.)

To answer your question, yes, changing the spell on a Mage Wand results in a hidden bound spell. However, you may not first remove the spell being changed out. You must first attach a new spell, and then the original spell goes back into your book. You may, of course, bring out the same type of spell to bind to the wand should you choose to do so, provided you have another in your book.

This is different from the way the Wizard's Tower works due to the text on those specific cards.
« Last Edit: January 28, 2015, 06:05:14 PM by DaveW »
  • Favourite Mage: Asyra Priestess

Kharhaz

• Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 7
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 28, 2015, 07:35:54 PM »
Thanks!

All spells are prepared face down like in the planning phase.

Note that the Mage Wand (and others) bind a spell that is not replaced during the planning phase. To change a spell bound to a Mage Wand, you must use a quick spell and spend three mana, as noted on the spell card.

You alternately may cast a new Mage Wand at which point the first one and the spell bound to it returns to your spell book. (This would require more mana, but could be done during deployment from a Battle Forge, for example, saving you the action and perhaps allowing you to use a different spell from your wand during the first quickcast phase.)

To answer your question, yes, changing the spell on a Mage Wand results in a hidden bound spell. However, you may not first remove the spell being changed out. You must first attach a new spell, and then the original spell goes back into your book. You may, of course, bring out the same type of spell to bind to the wand should you choose to do so, provided you have another in your book.

This is different from the way the Wizard's Tower works due to the text on those specific cards.

Yes thanks for that clarification Dave! 1 missing word changes that quite a bit :P

exid

• Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 4
  • The longer the better!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 20, 2016, 07:06:31 AM »

Is that sure?
I can't find it.

Sailor Vulcan

• Secret Identity: Imaginator
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 20, 2016, 08:13:51 AM »
Thanks!

Actually wizard's tower does not have spellbind anymore. It was errata'd this year.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Favourite Mage: Salenia Forcemaster
I am Sailor Vulcan! Champion of justice and reason! And yes, I am already aware my uniform is considered flashy, unprofessional, and borderline sexually provocative for my species by most intelligent lifeforms. I did not choose this outfit. Shut up.

Halewijn

• Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 6
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 20, 2016, 08:21:12 AM »
This tread is ancient.  ;)
  • Favourite Mage: Bloodwave Warlord
When in doubt kill it with fire? I never doubt and crush them right away.

Coshade

• Arcane Duels Host
  • Administrator
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 6
    • View Profile
    • Arcane Duels!
« Reply #9 on: October 20, 2016, 09:22:22 AM »
Necro thread yo
  • Favourite Mage: Malakai Priest

exid

• Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 4
  • The longer the better!
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 21, 2016, 12:29:40 AM »
but the question is still interessant:
when I change the spell on my spellbind, do I first choose the new one or do I first take the old one back?

Coshade

• Arcane Duels Host
  • Administrator
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 6
    • View Profile
    • Arcane Duels!
« Reply #11 on: October 21, 2016, 08:35:38 AM »
You cannot have two spells spellbinding to the same object. First you would have to remove the spell then choose a new one.
« Last Edit: October 21, 2016, 08:39:20 AM by Coshade »
  • Favourite Mage: Malakai Priest

exid

• Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 4
  • The longer the better!
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 21, 2016, 09:00:22 AM »
that's exactly the oposite to the previous conclusion!

Tyrnan

• Full Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 21, 2016, 10:06:45 AM »
The relevant question here is, what does "change the bound spell" mean exactly.

From Merriam Webster's online Dictionary:

Full Definition of change
changed changing

transitive verb
  •     a :  to make different in some particular :  alter <never bothered to change the will>
        b :  to make radically different :  transform <can't change human nature>
        c :  to give a different position, course, or direction to
  •     a :  to replace with another <let's change the subject>
        b :  to make a shift from one to another :  switch <always changes sides in an argument>
        c :  to exchange for an equivalent sum of money (as in smaller denominations or in a foreign currency) <change a 20-dollar bill>
        d :  to undergo a modification of <foliage changing color> e :  to put fresh clothes or covering on <change a bed>

It's clearly used as a transitive verb here so I left out the meanings for the intransitive case.
So in our context 2a is the meaning that fits best (according to the example sentence)

So "to change the bound spell" means "to replace the bound spell with another". So clearly two cards are involved here and one is replaced by another. You cannot replace a card with itself. So you may not remove the bound spell and then add it again. But you may replace the spell with another copy of the same spell. This would not violate the "never attach two copies of the same spell to the same object"-rule, because one spell replaces the other and there is no time where both are attached simultaneously regardless of the order in which you exchange them.
« Last Edit: October 21, 2016, 10:09:38 AM by Tyrnan »
  • Favourite Mage: Darkfenne Necromancer
OCTGN: Tyrnan (GMT +1)

exid

• Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 4
  • The longer the better!
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 23, 2016, 03:34:05 AM »
could we say that you have to change te spell card, but that you can bind the same spell?