May 01, 2024, 08:40:37 PM

Author Topic: FIF: Rolling Fog Preview  (Read 9454 times)

silverclawgrizzly

• Charlotte Mage Warrior
  • Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 4
    • View Profile
Re: FIF: Rolling Fog Preview
« Reply #15 on: May 09, 2014, 02:59:18 AM »
As I posted previously I was a bit skeptical about it at first as well. Having thought on it though I can see a lot of useful applications for this spell.

-Protecting my Conjurations from enemy Fireballs and Archers. Don't want my Outposts or Idol of Pestilence getting taken down right off the bat. Also it'd be nice if my spawn points had a chance to actually spawn some stuff before stupid Force Hammers destroy them.

-Giving my dark mages more time to use an Elemental Cloak without having to worry about losing one of their main advantages.

-Letting a Beast Master get his critters into position without them being cursed or shot at constantly. Moving an army into striking positions is a lot easier under the cover of darkness after all. This is also true of a Zombie Necromancer. Can't you just envision hordes of Bloodthirsty undead emerging from the shadows to murder some poor sap?

-Really slowing down the ole "Teleport em four squares then have a horde of creatures eat them" strategy so many Wizards love. In fact given that a lot of Wizards are kind of range heavy in my experience this could go a long way to balancing that out.

-Druids can't cast spells out of Vine Markers they can't see. This should slow them down greatly.

-Force Masters don't really use a lot of range attacks so this spell could let them move across the board with relative safety.

• Favourite Mage: Straywood Beastmaster
What we must all remember is no matter the game we were all newbies at one point.

aquestrion

• Sr. Mage
  • Banana Stickers 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 09, 2014, 04:08:48 AM »
Now if you could cast spell secretly then it would be awesome.....surprise a buffed out grizzly bear

isel

• Sr. Mage
  • Banana Stickers 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 09, 2014, 04:21:26 AM »
This expansion its funny with the druid, more fire power, now she canĀ“t cast spells on vines during 3 turns.. funny that one of the last mages became unnuseless.

silverclawgrizzly

• Charlotte Mage Warrior
  • Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 09, 2014, 05:22:03 AM »
Not really useless Isel. It just means she has to spend 3 turns getting out her gear, enchantments, creatures, etc. It will slow down her attack rate, it'll slow down a lot of books attack rate though. Unless I'm mistaken she can still grow her vine markers out as they only require new ones to be adjacent to old ones. So she could cover the arena with vines under darkness at least.

As for fire spells, the only one we've really seen I consider that powerful: Devils Trident, can't target her Conjurations.
  • Favourite Mage: Straywood Beastmaster
What we must all remember is no matter the game we were all newbies at one point.

Bluebaron

• Full Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 09, 2014, 06:32:46 AM »
One should not underestimate the versatility of goblin alchemist. The fire attack should be quite nasty against plants. Also the smouldering curses ability of the new warlock as well as its new familiar should be quite useful agaist creatures and conjurations with an inherent fire weakness.

Wildhorn

• Superior artificial brain, feel free to call me Blaine.
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 3
    • View Profile
    • Mage Wars Quebec
« Reply #20 on: May 09, 2014, 09:42:26 AM »
The fog only grant obscured to object in arena. Zones are not object, so they are not obscured. So you can still use Vine Marker to target their zone (aka summoning a Creature).

So dont panic.

jacksmack

• Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 19
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: May 09, 2014, 09:51:36 AM »
All objects and zones in the arena have the obscured trait.

Kharhaz

• Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 7
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: May 09, 2014, 09:54:55 AM »
The fog only grant obscured to object in arena. Zones are not object, so they are not obscured. So you can still use Vine Marker to target their zone (aka summoning a Creature).

So dont panic.

From Druid v Necromancer rulebook

Obscured:
"This object is difficult to see. It cannot be targeted from more than one zone away (this is for all purposes - ranged attack, spells, abilities, etc.) "

Vine markers:
"As the druid, or a familiar or tree spawnpoint she controls, casts a vine spell, you can destroy a target vine marker she controls as an additional cost to cast the spell."

Rolling fog gives the vine markers obscured so she cannot activate her ability if she cannot target it. She can still place them, as per spreading vines, as long as they are adjacent because placement does not require LoS.

Wildhorn

• Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 3
    • View Profile
    • Mage Wars Quebec
« Reply #23 on: May 09, 2014, 10:00:04 AM »
Ah there is the little target word i missed.

Wildhorn

• Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 3
    • View Profile
    • Mage Wars Quebec
« Reply #24 on: May 09, 2014, 10:01:55 AM »
All objects and zones in the arena have the obscured trait.

Note to myself: Do not post without first an intake of coffee

Kharhaz

• Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 7
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: May 09, 2014, 10:07:49 AM »

Note to myself: Do not post without first an intake of coffee

Happens to me all the time.....

Laddinfance

• Legendary Mage