May 17, 2024, 08:05:15 PM

Author Topic: Sweeping/2 or 3 strikes/Battle Fury and Daze  (Read 6977 times)

ThePoPGod

• New Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
Sweeping/2 or 3 strikes/Battle Fury and Daze
« on: June 05, 2013, 06:02:18 AM »
OK so I went through the rules a few times and I think I got it but I want to make sure.

Sweeping: On the second strike because it still goes through the Declare Attack Step, it must make another Daze check. Good?

Triple or Double strikes: They don't go through the Declare Attack Step so they ignore Daze?

Battle Fury: The 2.0 card says something along the lines of (cards out in car) it activating imminently after the attack action is finished then you make your second strike. Does that mean Daze has gone away at that point and is gone for the second one?

Like I said, I think I have it down but I just want to have it 100%.

MrSaucy

• Sr. Mage
  • Banana Stickers 4
    • View Profile
Re: Sweeping/2 or 3 strikes/Battle Fury and Daze
« Reply #1 on: June 05, 2013, 07:42:51 AM »
OK so I went through the rules a few times and I think I got it but I want to make sure.

Sweeping: On the second strike because it still goes through the Declare Attack Step, it must make another Daze check. Good?

Triple or Double strikes: They don't go through the Declare Attack Step so they ignore Daze?

Battle Fury: The 2.0 card says something along the lines of (cards out in car) it activating imminently after the attack action is finished then you make your second strike. Does that mean Daze has gone away at that point and is gone for the second one?

Like I said, I think I have it down but I just want to have it 100%.

Sweeping only targets up to two targets. These targets have to be different. If the sweeping attack involves rolling the d12 then you will roll the d12 for each target (up to 2).

With doublestrikes or triplestrikes you only roll the d12 once since you are attacking a single target. I am 90% sure about this. To be sure, I will check the rulebook and get back to you.

Battle Fury allows a creature to immediately make a QUICK action melee attack after making ANY melee action. You will only roll the d12 for your additional QUICK action melee attack if that attacks allows you to do. No QUICK action melee attacks that I know of involve rolling the d12 however.

There is a War incantation called Whirling Strike that allows a melee attack to target up to 3 different (legal) targets in the same zone. But the card only allows you to make a QUICK melee attack, not a full one.
"See you space cowboy..."

Aarrow

• Jr. Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 05, 2013, 10:10:52 AM »
I don't understand this either...

So, sweeping takes place at the "End Attack" step, but must reroll the daze condition because you're targeting a new character?

I understand Double & Triple strikes do not reroll daze because they do not use the "declare attack" steps.

But Battle Fury does or doesn't reroll daze??...   When in the attack sequence does Battle Fury actually kick off?  End Attack Step?  or After that step? (if it's after, wouldn't the daze condition be removed then?)

sdougla2

• Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 19
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 05, 2013, 11:15:30 AM »
I'm pretty sure that you roll again for Daze for the additional strikes/attack from Sweeping, Doublestrike, Triplestrike, and Battle Fury. The thing is that Daze says you roll during the declare attack step or, if that phase is skipped, as soon as the attack begins. I wish they would clean up the strike/attack terminology, which is ambiguous. Battle Fury is an entire extra attack action, with another attack sequence, so that's clear cut. The difference between the wording on Sweeping and Doublestrike/Triplestrike is a little puzzling, but it doesn't actually change the way they interact with Daze.
  • Favourite Mage: Straywood Beastmaster

ThePoPGod

• New Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 05, 2013, 02:37:29 PM »
I'm pretty sure that you roll again for Daze for the additional strikes/attack from Sweeping, Doublestrike, Triplestrike, and Battle Fury. The thing is that Daze says you roll during the declare attack step or, if that phase is skipped, as soon as the attack begins. I wish they would clean up the strike/attack terminology, which is ambiguous. Battle Fury is an entire extra attack action, with another attack sequence, so that's clear cut. The difference between the wording on Sweeping and Doublestrike/Triplestrike is a little puzzling, but it doesn't actually change the way they interact with Daze.

Yeah thats why I posted this. This is as technical as I could find the info in the rules. If they are true, then my work is done, but if not, then I think we may need a 3.0 rulebook with better clarifications.

I didn't include Whirlwind Strike because right on the card it says that It works like Sweeping so whatever the rule is for Sweeping, is what works for the card.
« Last Edit: June 05, 2013, 02:39:04 PM by ThePoPGod »

MrSaucy

• Sr. Mage
  • Banana Stickers 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 05, 2013, 05:12:06 PM »
I don't understand this either...

So, sweeping takes place at the "End Attack" step, but must reroll the daze condition because you're targeting a new character?

I understand Double & Triple strikes do not reroll daze because they do not use the "declare attack" steps.

But Battle Fury does or doesn't reroll daze??...   When in the attack sequence does Battle Fury actually kick off?  End Attack Step?  or After that step? (if it's after, wouldn't the daze condition be removed then?)

Yes, you would roll for daze for every target when you choose a sweeping attack. Battle Fury allows an additional quick action melee attack. If that quick action melee attack allows you to roll for daze, you roll for daze. It depends on the creatures/mage's quick action melee attack.

MrSaucy

• Sr. Mage
  • Banana Stickers 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 05, 2013, 05:16:34 PM »
From page 25 in the rulebook. Glad I looked this up because now I understand it:

"Some traits, such as Triplestrike, allow the attacker to make
additional attacks against the same target. Once the first
strike is finished, you get to make these additional strikes.
Each additional strike is resolved, one at a time, following
these 3 steps: Avoid Attack, Roll Dice, Damage and Effects."

Since each additional attack is treated as its own attack, you do indeed roll the effect die multiple times. Didn't know that. Huh. Guess I should read the rules more often xD

Another thing to be aware of is the opponent gets to use the Avoid Attack for each strike. So if a creature/mage has 2 or more defenses, they would be able to use 2 defenses against a doublestrike or 3 defenses against a triplestrike. This is probably most applicable to creatures that have infinite defenses.
« Last Edit: June 05, 2013, 05:19:38 PM by MrSaucy »

Shad0w

• Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 05, 2013, 06:17:25 PM »
Thanks for that I was so busy at work I did 8.5 hours with no lunch.
"Darth come prove to meet you are worthy of the fighting for your school in the arena and not just another scholar to be discarded like an worn out rag doll"

Quote: Shad0w the Arcmage

ThePoPGod

• New Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 07, 2013, 02:25:38 PM »
OK one last thing. When does a Battle Fury go off? and why does it get attack boosts?

MrSaucy

• Sr. Mage
  • Banana Stickers 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 07, 2013, 04:19:07 PM »
Battle Fury is an incantation, so like any incantation its effect lasts until the end of the turn. But you can bind Battle Fury to a Mage Wand if you plan on casting Battle Fury a lot of times in a game.

ThePoPGod

• New Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 08, 2013, 05:55:46 AM »
Battle Fury is an incantation, so like any incantation its effect lasts until the end of the turn. But you can bind Battle Fury to a Mage Wand if you plan on casting Battle Fury a lot of times in a game.

...That literally had nothing to do with my question. I want to know when in the attack order does BF go off.

MrSaucy

• Sr. Mage
  • Banana Stickers 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 08, 2013, 06:06:55 AM »

...That literally had nothing to do with my question. I want to know when in the attack order does BF go off.

When you said "go off" I thought you meant "expire." Your answer is given on the card.

Battle Fury: "the next time this round the target creature makes a melee attack, IMMEDIATELY make another quick action melee attack."

The keyword here is immediately.

Shad0w

• Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 10, 2013, 11:42:18 PM »
OK one last thing. When does a Battle Fury go off? and why does it get attack boosts?

If you look at the rules 
Melee + "If an / the attack makes multiple attacks against the same or different objects, it gains this bonus only for the first attack"

Currently the reason BF gets all the bonuses is due to the fact it starts a completely new attack action. Thus it is not part of the same attack action.

« Last Edit: March 02, 2014, 02:13:34 PM by Shad0w »
"Darth come prove to meet you are worthy of the fighting for your school in the arena and not just another scholar to be discarded like an worn out rag doll"

Quote: Shad0w the Arcmage

isel

• Sr. Mage
  • Banana Stickers 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 01, 2014, 08:53:07 PM »
Then with the errata of battle fury this change? i understand that the +x melee only affect for the first attack after the errata.

Zuberi

• Rules Guru
  • Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 57
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 01, 2014, 09:08:18 PM »
The errata has indeed altered the way Battle Fury works. It is now considered to be part of the same attack action, occuring in Step 8 of combat, the same as Sweeping. This means Melee +X does not apply to it.