May 17, 2024, 07:31:56 PM

Author Topic: Any events at Gencon 2013?  (Read 10118 times)

CanadaAndy

• New Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
Any events at Gencon 2013?
« on: May 09, 2013, 03:11:56 PM »
Hi there, I am going to be at Gencon next summer, and I was wondering what kind of games or events there will be for Mage Wars. I am a pretty novice player, so some introductory games or tournaments would be fun.

Anyone know?

Shad0w

• Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
Re: Any events at Gencon 2013?
« Reply #1 on: May 09, 2013, 03:54:19 PM »
If you look at Facebook Patrick says they are currently being reviewed for approval.
"Darth come prove to meet you are worthy of the fighting for your school in the arena and not just another scholar to be discarded like an worn out rag doll"

Quote: Shad0w the Arcmage

tom

• Jr. Mage
  • Banana Stickers 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 09, 2013, 04:53:02 PM »
I too am planning on heading to GenCon this summer, and I really hope there are a lot of Mage Wars events.  Hopefully the events get approved before event tickets go on sale on Sunday May 19th.
I care not how many minions I lose,
the Darkfenne always has more graves.

Sarkath

• Playtester
  • New Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 10, 2013, 03:38:04 PM »
Hopefully we hear sometime this coming week. I have a pretty good feeling there will be though.

Aarrow

• Jr. Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 16, 2013, 03:23:53 PM »
Any word on what time slots/days they submitted for approval?

tom

• Jr. Mage
  • Banana Stickers 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 19, 2013, 02:17:28 PM »
Mage Wars events are now live on the GenCon website!  There are 22 events total.

5 hour Tournament Qualifier  events are on Thursday, Friday and Saturday at 4pm until 9pm.  Event description:  Participants will be grouped in 8-player pods competing in three 75 minute swiss-style rounds. Pod winners will be invited to the Tournament Championship on Sunday at 10 AM (I think that should be 9AM). Enter the Arena!

The Tournament Final is on Sunday from 9am until 4pm.  Event description: Winners of the Mage Wars Tournament Qualifiers compete in the Masters Championship for the title, trophy, and giclee print. Swiss-style 60 minute rounds based upon attendance. Enter the Arena!

The other 18 events are 1 hour learn to play with the apprentice spellbooks.  They start every hour from 10am until 3pm Thursday, Friday and Saturday.  Event description:  Enter the Arena and try the game by playing a full game in Apprentice mode. Our staff will be on hand to guide you through your first few turns and answer any questions you may have.

I got tickets for the Thursday and Saturday qualifiers.  Hope to meet some of you guys there!

Shad0w

• Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 20, 2013, 08:51:00 AM »
Thanks for posting this I was busy all weekend. 1 sticker for being awesome BTW
"Darth come prove to meet you are worthy of the fighting for your school in the arena and not just another scholar to be discarded like an worn out rag doll"

Quote: Shad0w the Arcmage

Sarkath

• Playtester
  • New Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 20, 2013, 10:19:28 AM »
Hopefully I'll get to try to play in an event in between running demos.

Aarrow

• Jr. Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 20, 2013, 12:11:08 PM »
A couple questions about the events-

If I want to play in the Championship on Sunday, do I need to win a qualifier event?
The Championship lists 24 participants, but if only the pod winners from the 3 qualifiers go, then that's only 9 participants.??
Each qualifier is maxed at 24 players divided into 8-player pods... meaning only 3 max will get the invite.

Also, if I win my pod on Thursday, can I sell my Friday/Saturday qualifier tickets?  What happens if a player wins two qualifiers?  Is there additional prize support?

Thanks

tom

• Jr. Mage
  • Banana Stickers 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 20, 2013, 07:54:56 PM »
A couple questions about the events-

If I want to play in the Championship on Sunday, do I need to win a qualifier event?
The Championship lists 24 participants, but if only the pod winners from the 3 qualifiers go, then that's only 9 participants.??
Each qualifier is maxed at 24 players divided into 8-player pods... meaning only 3 max will get the invite.

Also, if I win my pod on Thursday, can I sell my Friday/Saturday qualifier tickets?  What happens if a player wins two qualifiers?  Is there additional prize support?

Thanks

This is in no way official, but I will take a crack at answering this.  It looks like the only way to get into the Championship on Sunday is to win one of the qualifiers.  The GenCon system will not allow you to purchase tickets to the Championship.  I have no idea how they are going to handle who qualifies beyond winning one of the three prior events.  Since the event is supposed to hold 24 players maybe they will allow some runners up players into the Championship?

If you don't want to attend an event at GenCon you can definitely sell the tickets back at the Will Call area prior to the start of the event.  So if you win on Thursday you could sell your Friday & Saturday tickets back, but then you would be depriving yourself of playing more Mage Wars and that is just silly.   ;D

No idea if there will be prize support, but I am hoping that players will get a little something.  Hint, hint  ;)

Hedge

• Full Mage
  • Banana Stickers 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 21, 2013, 12:50:23 AM »
GOt my Badge and Tickets to all three  Qualifiers.

Hedge

Aarrow

• Jr. Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 21, 2013, 09:27:07 AM »
Thanks for the reply, Tom.

I'd still like to know how they intend to fill 24 players for the Sunday Championship aside from the 9 Pod winners.
I don't think the top 2 from each pod could be decided in three rounds (could be multiple 2-1 records + ties).

Random invites? Ambassadors? Winners from other events (origins, etc)?, Open Championship tickets for sale after Saturday qualifier?

What chance to I have to compete in the "main event" if I lose my qualifier(s)?

Aarrow

• Jr. Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 23, 2013, 08:57:46 AM »
How are there still 12 slots left for the Mage Wars Gencon Tournaments!? (16 on Friday!)

What was the tournament attendance at Bashcon, Origins, and Kublacon?

This means that aside from my local weekly playgroup (we've already signed up), there's only opportunity to play with 4-8 new players worldwide at Gencon??

Apparently Mage Wars is far less popular than I thought it was...

tom

• Jr. Mage
  • Banana Stickers 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 23, 2013, 09:44:05 AM »
Part of the problem is that the Mage Wars events weren't listed until the day before event tickets went on sale.  Many people, including myself, had already made up their wish lists before any of the MW events dropped so they did not include them on their iteneraries.  I just got lucky and noticed 1/2 hour before tickets went on sale and had to scramble to rearrange my schedule.  I bet as we get closer to the Con that more of these tickets will be snatched up. 

Aarrow

• Jr. Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 23, 2013, 10:06:48 AM »
I think I've found answers to some of my questions-

On the Origins site, Mage Wars is listed the exact same way, except each qualifier is limited to 64 (not 24) players.
This makes perfect sense for each pod winner (max 8 per qualifier) would participate in the Sunday Championship (24 max).

Whoever listed the Gencon events, listed them at 24 max each (I'm assuming by mistake).  This creates a 9 player max "Championship".

I'm VERY interested to hear about the Mage Wars tournament at Origins next month!  64 player qualifiers sounds more what I was expecting from a major event!