May 04, 2024, 12:20:52 AM

Author Topic: Quicksand  (Read 11856 times)

BR3AKR

• New Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
Quicksand
« on: January 28, 2013, 10:00:30 PM »

So, quicksand was just spoiled on the facebook page. I've got to say I really like the flavor here (not sure how I feel about the card as it plays, I'd have to wait until I see it on the board). However, it brought up a couple concerns.

1st, would teleport free a creature from this spell? I don't see any reason why not, but figured I'd ask.

2nd, almost immediately there were questions as to what 2X means on the facebook page, is it 2 + the creatures level? I'm guessing it means 2 times the creatures level, but perhaps in the future if you just leave it X for any variable cost, and then specify that X is twice the creature's level that would alleviate some of the confusion.

HeatStryke

• Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 1
    • View Profile
Re: Quicksand
« Reply #1 on: January 29, 2013, 02:26:26 AM »
Teleport will work, the attachment won't follow.

2X means Two times the creature's level. If you see #X then its multiplied, if its added it'll say #+X.

It's meant more to slow a target down then kill it per se.

Sausageman

• Full Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 29, 2013, 06:13:46 AM »
Quote from: "BR3AKR" post=6816
2nd, almost immediately there were questions as to what 2X means on the facebook page, is it 2 + the creatures level? I'm guessing it means 2 times the creatures level, but perhaps in the future if you just leave it X for any variable cost, and then specify that X is twice the creature's level that would alleviate some of the confusion.

Firstly, I am sure they will do another codex with the expansion, explaining things like this and other new keywords.
However, this is a standard mathematical term - 2X means, and has always meant, 2 multiplied by X.  The spell 'Explode' has already set a precedence for 'X+ an amount' casting costs, so I don't really understand why there is any confusion here.

HeatStryke

• Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 29, 2013, 07:27:12 AM »
I was gonna make a math joke in my post, but decided against it  :P

Keep in mind this game appeals to a large swath of diffrent gamers, someone comming from a CCG will be more inclined to see each symbol seperately.

BR3AKR

• New Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 29, 2013, 08:41:54 AM »
I'm sure that most folks will get that it's twice x, as you stated it's a standard used in a lot of places. I offered the suggestion because immediately after the spell was posted on facebook two people asked about what '2X' meant. In general I'm sure AW wants the game to be as accessible as possible, even in simple cases like this, and thought this was a simple enough solution.

Dre2Dee2

• New Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 29, 2013, 09:22:28 AM »
Yeah, 2X totally made sense to me :)

Deefer

• New Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 29, 2013, 03:56:41 PM »
If a creature were to be teleported away, would the sink tokens be removed as well?  I assume so.

(thematically it would make sense since it effectively takes 4 rounds to sink in the sand, and the longer you are stuck in the the harder it is to get out.)

actually... the text refers to the target of the spell so:
if a creature is teleported away:
1)does the quicksand stay?
2)does it affect an unwitting creature that enters the zone? (or an additional creature that might still be there)

HeatStryke

• Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 29, 2013, 04:01:20 PM »
Quicksand works like Tanglevine, if you teleport the target out it gets discarded. The sink tokens are on quicksand itself so they go away too.

Deefer

• New Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 29, 2013, 04:20:08 PM »
I believe you...

but feels inconsistent with the fact that it's a conjuration.  I guess I was under the impression that conjurations stayed in a zone.   Seems like it should have been a trap enchantment card.

curious to hear the reasoning about what the difference is.

Locusshifter

• Jr. Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 29, 2013, 04:54:45 PM »
Quote from: "Deefer" post=6864
I believe you...

but feels inconsistent with the fact that it's a conjuration.  I guess I was under the impression that conjurations stayed in a zone.   Seems like it should have been a trap enchantment card.

I think it's consistent; walls, temples, tanglevine, etc, are all conjurations. I'm not sure what other category this would fit into. You're creating quicksand under a target. Seems like a conjuration to me.

baronzaltor

• Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 19
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 29, 2013, 05:42:36 PM »
Banish would also get rid of Quicksand, since it also is a teleport.

Deefer

• New Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 29, 2013, 09:44:24 PM »
Quote from: "Locusshifter" post=6866
Quote from: "Deefer" post=6864
I believe you...

I think it's consistent; walls, temples, tanglevine, etc, are all conjurations. I'm not sure what other category this would fit into. You're creating quicksand under a target. Seems like a conjuration to me.

I agree in theory... But walls, etc stay where they were conjured and don't disappear once "spent" (tangle vine being the other exception).
The way it's implemented feels more consistent with the hellfire trap or teleport trap behaves. (Single use on a single creature)

Anyway... I can get used to it.  Just feels different than the other types of conjurations that stay in the zone.

HeatStryke

• Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 29, 2013, 09:44:52 PM »
There is some mechanical diffrences, as you can't teleport out of an enchantment. That and this is a physical object, and if it wasn't indestructible you could kill/destroy it.

Being that no matter how many times you punch quicksand it won't be destroyed though...

Deefer

• New Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 29, 2013, 09:46:29 PM »
I guess I'm struggling with why a conjuration would go away just because the target is teleported out of it. Seems like it should stick around. Anyway... I get it.

Tacullu64

• Sr. Mage
  • Banana Stickers 10
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 29, 2013, 10:52:12 PM »
Quote from: "Deefer" post=6881
I guess I'm struggling with why a conjuration would go away just because the target is teleported out of it. Seems like it should stick around. Anyway... I get it.

Maybe it does stick around in the form of inert sand with all of the magic that made it dangerous in the fist place gone. Disapated into the aerher once the victim was freed from the quicksand spell.

That's the way I visualize it anyways.