Mage Wars > Spellbook Design and Construction

Multiplayer Domination: Skeleton Necromancer

<< < (3/3)

iNano78:

--- Quote from: JasonBourneZombie on January 11, 2017, 06:19:22 AM ---Huh. The supplement updates Ichthelid to require the creature to not be removed from play, but Sslak aren't actually obliterated according to the battlegrounds rules, just removed.

--- End quote ---

How different is that from the description/definition of Obliterate (as per Codex)?
"The object is destroyed, then it is removed from the game." Then goes on to describe the consequences of being removed from the game.

Actually, I just noticed that one might argue the Ziggurat still works on Obliterated creatures, since the description of Obliterate in the Codex only forbids abilities of the creature, and conditions and spells attached to the creature, from triggering on destruction (e.g. Ichthellid larvae, Rise Again enchantment, etc). External abilities can still trigger upon the creature's destruction (e.g. Graveyard gaining mana, Wrath tokens, Holy Avenger, etc). Ziggurat is not attached to the creature, so might still trigger upon destruction before the creature is removed from the game. Unless those effects are simultaneous (e.g. "When this creature would be destroyed, immediately remove it from the game" or something like that). (?)

Zuberi??  ;)

JasonBourneZombie:
Reanimate specifies the creature is returned from the discard pile. Sslak don't ever have one.

Obliterate describes that certain destruction triggers don't work when the object is destroyed, but does not actually say that all removal effects prevent these triggers.

Most of the "on creature destruction" effects that matter already cover removal from the game, but if there were a spell that had the creature do something when it died, a Sslak would be able to do it because it was removed and not obliterated.

iNano78:

--- Quote from: JasonBourneZombie on January 11, 2017, 07:58:44 AM ---Reanimate specifies the creature is returned from the discard pile. Sslak don't ever have one.

Obliterate describes that certain destruction triggers don't work when the object is destroyed, but does not actually say that all removal effects prevent these triggers.

Most of the "on creature destruction" effects that matter already cover removal from the game, but if there were a spell that had the creature do something when it died, a Sslak would be able to do it because it was removed and not obliterated.

--- End quote ---

I feel that a lot of the intricacies of Sslak rulings could have been avoided, and they would be more tempting to summon (either from your book or from V'torrak, making controlling the V'torrak more enticing), if the following were on their cards:
- Vigilant trait (replaces a current rule for neutral orb guardians; makes them WAY better when you cast them yourself)
- "If this creature would be destroyed, Obliterate it." (same as for Zombie marker)

iNano78:
Recently discovered that healing is a good thing, even for a Dark mage. Otherwise, a single Bleed token can really ruin your day.   :o

Changes:
-[mwcard=DNC15]2 x  Skeletal Minion[/mwcard] - 4 are usually enough, as I tend to switch to Sentries or Deathfangs if the Minions are dying too rapidly
-[mwcard=DNC14]1 x  Skeletal Knight[/mwcard] - it's powerful and a good guard, but a little expensive in this format; Sentries are usually sufficient in this role at a much lower mana cost
-[mwcard=FWI05]1 x  Mass Sleep[/mwcard] - I keep thinking this would be a good idea in the right circumstance, but 15 mana full action at range 0-1 when you'd get maximum effectiveness out of it is just so rare, and 8 sbp's is a TON to spend on a spell you almost never use - not to mention somewhat "unfun" for your opponents!

+2  Siphon Life - A little healing, + direct damage at the same time, can go a long way; can be used to finish an Usslak (bypassing armor) or to swing the match when you and your closest opponent are both on the verge of death and it's either him or you!
+[mwcard=MW1I08]1 x  Drain Life[/mwcard] - When Siphon Life just isn't enough! (12 mana usually isn't a problem when it's late in the match and you really need to heal; 16 mana for [mwcard=MWSTX1CKI01]Drain Soul[/mwcard] might be a little too much to ask, though; and Drain Life costs 1 less sbp)
+[mwcard=MW1E32]1 x  Regrowth[/mwcard] - Very handy when you find that you've taken 10-15 damage early in the match or are Bleeding out; could also be used on Malacoda in a pinch
+[mwcard=MW1Q19]1 x  Mage Wand[/mwcard] - Useful for so many things, like Reassemble or Siphon Life or Evade or Dispel or Force Push/Wave or Teleport. Whatever you need, on a stick! And since Dissolves/Crumbles are less popular in this format than in Arena death-matches, it's reasonably likely to stay equipped, too.

[spellbook]
[spellbookheader]
[spellbookname]Skulls & Bones v2.1[/spellbookname]
[mage]Darkfenne Necromancer[/mage]
[/spellbookheader]
[spells]
[spellclass]Attack[/spellclass]
[mwcard=FWA02]1 x  Force Hammer[/mwcard]
[mwcard=]1 x  Swell[/mwcard]
[mwcard=MWBG1A06]1 x  Windstorm[/mwcard]
[spellclass]Conjuration[/spellclass]
[mwcard=MWBG1J01]1 x  Altar of the Iron Guard[/mwcard]