May 16, 2024, 09:53:53 PM

Author Topic: Passage attacks and Fortified position  (Read 2135 times)

reimroc

• Apprentice
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
Passage attacks and Fortified position
« on: May 10, 2013, 06:21:57 PM »
This is such a great game!
Been playing for 3 months now and have found answers to all my rules questions on the forums, rulebook, FAQ... but could not find this question addressed before:

A creature is in a zone that is enchanted by Fortified position (granting +2 Armor). The creature either gets pushed or intentionally marches through a passage attacks wall (say, pointy end of a wall of pikes).  Does the armor bonus from Fortified Position buff the creature that is getting attacked by the passage attack?

The rulebook (pg 17) says about Passage Attacks: "This attack occurs before the creature
completes its movement action".

On the subect of Attacking Walls (rulebook pg 18) it says, "Walls do not occupy a zone, and are not affected by zone attacks or spells that target a zone."

Is this attack occurring in the zone that the creature is coming from, or is it occurring in a place between zones where zone enchantments have no effect?

Thanks.

sIKE

• Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 18
  • Ugh
    • View Profile
Re: Passage attacks and Fortified position
« Reply #1 on: May 10, 2013, 08:53:40 PM »
If the creature is Friendly and starts the round in the zone with the Fortified Position, he gains the +2 Armor trait. If he is then pushed or moves from the zone through as the example a Wall of Thorns, he will take the damage with his current armor bonus. Once through the wall and into the other zone the Fortified Position bonus is then lost.
  • Favourite Mage: Malakai Priest

Fentum

• Sr. Mage
  • Banana Stickers 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 11, 2013, 04:15:42 AM »

Interestingly, that is the first bit of Mage Wars rules I've read that don't make sense intuitively.

Intuitively, I see the creature 'leaving' the fortified position to move through the wall, but I can spin it the other way too if I have to. i.e. the creature uses 'defensive bits or support' from the fortified position to push through the wall. I'm a roleplayer at heart so I like to fluff the back story.

pixelgeek

• Global Moderator
  • Sr. Mage
  • Banana Stickers 2
    • View Profile
    • Zac's Gaming Blog
« Reply #3 on: May 11, 2013, 10:32:05 AM »
The attack occurs in the zone that the unit is coming from so it is still affected by the Fortified Zone enchantment. It isn't in the new zone until after the passage attack resolves.
  • Favourite Mage: Adramelech Warlock
Arcane Wonders Web Guy
Problem with the forums or website?

Send me a PM

Words to live by: I commit strongly to defending my wand.   Precisely so that I don't lose it.