• Banana Stickers 18
  • Kich, if you prefer.
    • View Profile
Stuck
« on: March 15, 2014, 11:09:24 PM »
The codex entry for stuck says
Quote from: Codex v. 1.0
Stuck (Condition Marker)
Creature is Restrained and Unmovable. At the end of each of its Action Phases, a Stuck creature may attempt an escape roll: on a roll of 7 or higher, remove Stuck. If this creature is Teleported, destroy all Stuck conditions on it. Stuck has no effect on Conjurations and Uncontainable objects. Stuck has a removal cost of 4.

How literally should we take the phrase, "a Stuck creature may attempt an escape roll:" Is the Stuck creature taking a free action? Can an Incapacitated creature attempt an escape?
I can take the fun out of anything. It's true; here, look at this spreadsheet.

Zuberi

• Rules Guru
  • Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 57
    • View Profile
Re: Stuck
« Reply #1 on: March 16, 2014, 01:44:04 AM »
It is an interesting question, and not without merit. However, the escape roll is never truly described as being any kind of action, free or otherwise. It is simply something that occurs at the end of the creature's action phase. The fact that it specifies that it is the creature who is doing it, does lend some credibility to your argument, but I would rule the escape roll as being more of a game effect than anything else, and thus not affected by Incapacitate.

ringkichard

• Flightless Funpire
  • Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 18
  • Kich, if you prefer.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 16, 2014, 07:11:44 AM »
I'm not even making an argument. I just genuinely want to know if an incapacitated creature can unstuck itself.

Codex for Incapacitated gives a laundry list of things the creature can't do, but doesn't list escape rolls. Playing as written I'd guess that a Pit Trap can wear off even if the creature is incapacitated, because an escape roll isn't listed as an action: only quick, full, and free actions are actions... as far as I know.

Rolling for burn isn't an action either, and incapacitated creatures burn just fine, but rolling for stuck and cripple happens during the creature's action, which might be different?

In the light of dawn, I'm now leaning toward saying that the creature does roll, because it's not described as an action.

Shad0w

• Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 16, 2014, 12:28:00 PM »
It is an interesting question, and not without merit. However, the escape roll is never truly described as being any kind of action, free or otherwise. It is simply something that occurs at the end of the creature's action phase. The fact that it specifies that it is the creature who is doing it, does lend some credibility to your argument, but I would rule the escape roll as being more of a game effect than anything else, and thus not affected by Incapacitate.
Correct again it is a game effect that occurs at the listed time
"Darth come prove to meet you are worthy of the fighting for your school in the arena and not just another scholar to be discarded like an worn out rag doll"

Quote: Shad0w the Arcmage

ringkichard

• Flightless Funpire
  • Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 18
  • Kich, if you prefer.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 16, 2014, 01:01:45 PM »
Excellent. Thanks!

Myrddin

• Jr. Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 16, 2014, 01:37:49 PM »
Correct again it is a game effect that occurs at the listed time
Does that mean that it's obligatory? Could I choose not to make the escape roll if I wished my creature to be stuck for whatever reason?

ringkichard

• Flightless Funpire
  • Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 18
  • Kich, if you prefer.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 16, 2014, 01:49:05 PM »
It says "may" so yes, you don't have to roll.

Myrddin

• Jr. Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 16, 2014, 02:28:19 PM »
That's what I thought: it's just the phrasing of the ruling ('game effect that occurs') makes it sounds like a more fixed fact!

Shad0w

• Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 20, 2014, 11:42:44 PM »

As much said may = not required
"Darth come prove to meet you are worthy of the fighting for your school in the arena and not just another scholar to be discarded like an worn out rag doll"

Quote: Shad0w the Arcmage