May 21, 2024, 04:32:53 AM

Author Topic: Kajarah  (Read 7093 times)

Milevan_Faent

• Full Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
Kajarah
« on: August 15, 2016, 04:02:07 PM »
So, this card... yeah, I can't help but look at it and think it could be better. Right now, would I ever use it? Probably not. Why take this when I can just use a bow? Or a weapon that fits or does better damage? My recommendation: Make it Shield or Weapon instead of just Weapon. As an "off-hand" weapon, along with a more standard weapon (perhaps the obviously companion Knife), it suddenly becomes an alternate attack option when things try to run away, while still letting you have a high-damage melee attack at the ready.

What do you guys think?

Coshade

• Arcane Duels Host
  • Administrator
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 6
    • View Profile
    • Arcane Duels!
Re: Kajarah
« Reply #1 on: August 15, 2016, 04:08:03 PM »
What problems are you having specifically with it? Kajarah should be viewed different tactically then a bow. Is it just you like the theme of a bow over using a boomarang? Have a built in mobile way to go past guards I find very useful. Obviously it's geared toward Johktari. I've also used it with Straywood to some success.
  • Favourite Mage: Malakai Priest

Milevan_Faent

• Full Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 15, 2016, 04:10:29 PM »
What problems are you having specifically with it? Kajarah should be viewed different tactically then a bow. Is it just you like the theme of a bow over using a boomarang? Have a built in mobile way to go past guards I find very useful. Obviously it's geared toward Johktari. I've also used it with Straywood to some success.

My main problem is: i could take this for a ranged attack, or I cou d just take a normal melee weapon and do almost twice the damage on average. It just feels like it could be better. I don't like the complete lack of offensive off-hand cards, since it's not like it's unheard of to dual-wield, or even have a back-up weapon in the off-hand.

Coshade

• Arcane Duels Host
  • Administrator
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 6
    • View Profile
    • Arcane Duels!
« Reply #3 on: August 15, 2016, 04:12:54 PM »
So do you mean using the Straywood with Kajarah?

Milevan_Faent

• Full Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 15, 2016, 04:14:53 PM »
So do you mean using the Straywood with Kajarah?

I'm not talking about any mage in particular. I'm talking about just in general. On the Johktari though, I might as well just take a melee weapon and do more damage, and it's the only mage it really stands out as useful for. In no other case is it even slightly useful over an alternative from what I've seen.

Zuberi

• Rules Guru
  • Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 57
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 15, 2016, 04:20:23 PM »
It lets you move and still make a ranged attack. Other ranged weapons can do more damage, but won't let you move and still attack. Melee weapons will also do more damage, but won't let you attack from an adjacent zone or bypass guards, both of which are things this can do.

So, you are correct that it is subpar in damage. But it has unique advantages strategically that no other weapon can possibly give you currently.

Milevan_Faent

• Full Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 15, 2016, 04:22:33 PM »
Well, so far it sounds like no one else thinks it being able to equip as an off-hand weapon in place of a shield is a good idea. Oh well. Cant always have good ideas I guess XD

Reddicediaries

• Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 1
  • Out of the ashes, a new power will rise.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 15, 2016, 04:23:18 PM »
Well, so far it sounds like no one else thinks it being able to equip as an off-hand weapon in place of a shield is a good idea. Oh well. Cant always have good ideas I guess XD
I agree that it's a good idea. I really like kajarah, and the idea would require some testing.
« Last Edit: August 15, 2016, 04:36:20 PM by Reddicediaries »
The Phoenix shall rise.

Coshade

• Arcane Duels Host
  • Administrator
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 6
    • View Profile
    • Arcane Duels!
« Reply #8 on: August 15, 2016, 04:56:46 PM »
One of my favorite off hand weapons is an elemental wand or a spike buckler. I'm sure someday we'll see some Main Gauche or other similar weapons that can be equipped in the offhand.

Milevan_Faent

• Full Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 15, 2016, 05:01:15 PM »
One of my favorite off hand weapons is an elemental wand or a spike buckler. I'm sure someday we'll see some Main Gauche or other similar weapons that can be equipped in the offhand.

I've used those both too. I've just wanted to actually have a real off-hand weapon already.

EDIT: BTW Coshade, did you get the message I sent you about learning to make cards?

Coshade

• Arcane Duels Host
  • Administrator
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 6
    • View Profile
    • Arcane Duels!
« Reply #10 on: August 15, 2016, 05:05:11 PM »
Just replied to it!

Boocheck

• Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 16, 2016, 12:09:24 AM »
You will probably not see a Warlock with Kajarah but Johktari do well with him. I got destroeyed by it together with Cervere. I just didnt expect that something will slip trough my guards so easily :)
  • Favourite Mage: Bloodwave Warlord
I am one with the force, the force is with me! (Warlord is still my fav mage ;) )

Halewijn

• Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 6
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 16, 2016, 02:04:09 AM »
I wouldnt even mind if you want to use it off hand during a battle. I just dont think it is a good idea to summon 2 weapons in a game since you can only use one. Even with one weapon I think I use it only around half of the rounds. Its different for wands and shields since they are not used during your main action.

Also, your ranged buffs wont help the melee attack and vice versa. But again, if we would have a battle some day, go ahaid.
When in doubt kill it with fire? I never doubt and crush them right away.

Schwenkgott

• Thunderdome
  • Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 16, 2016, 04:03:25 AM »
1) Kajarah costs the Johktari only 1 spellbookpoint. Most opponents need to spend 2 spellbookpoints to dissolve it. Thats not a very favourable calculation, because the Beastmistress can easily use several Boomerangs. So why waste Dissolves with it?

2) The Johktari has the fast trait. If not hindered, she can quickly move through the arena (2 zones) and attack even one zone further. You can't do that with a bow (think of an enemy that is 3 zones away). Also the bow has the problem of a minimal range where you cannot use it.

3) Kajarah only rolls 1 dice (if your animal attacked first) and 1 piercing less. That's totally ok, because Karajah only costs 3 Mana and you can move first.
Akiro, I have never prayed to you before. No one will remember if we were good men or bad. Why we fought, or why we died. All that matters is that one stood against many. That's what's important! Valor pleases you, Akiro... so grant me strength! And if you do not listen, then to HELL with you!

Halewijn

• Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 6
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 16, 2016, 05:55:44 AM »
If an animal attacked first, it is 2 piercing and bleed chance. But yeah, kajarah is solid.
When in doubt kill it with fire? I never doubt and crush them right away.