May 03, 2024, 08:37:47 PM

Author Topic: Lets build up an almost comprehensive list of combat tricks  (Read 9326 times)

MageHorst

• Jr. Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
  • MiĆ©villean Tentacle
    • View Profile
Re: Lets build up an almost comprehensive list of combat tricks
« Reply #15 on: August 29, 2014, 04:59:01 AM »
Just an addition to the Battle-Forge-Mage-Wand-Action-Saving trick: I worked out the same trick with the Warlord's [mwcard=FWQ05]Helm of Command[/mwcard]. The cool thing is that the 'old' spell goes back to your spellbook, so can you either use for the Mage or for Gurmash and therefore cut down some copies of your command spells.
  • Favourite Mage: Bloodwave Warlord
Yes, warlord! No other victory feels more rewarding. =)

Alexander West

• Falconer
  • Full Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
Re: Lets build up an almost comprehensive list of combat tricks
« Reply #16 on: September 07, 2014, 10:34:07 AM »
My favorite trick lately is boring, but effective:

"Something Between Us"
When an opponent's mage or creature is causing trouble, and you want it gone for a while, how do you get rid of it?  For 8 mana I love to Force Push something, and then put up a Wall of Thorns or Wall of Earth.  The thing is now effectively 3 squares away since it will have to go around the wall.  Sometimes it's worth the extra 3 mana to put them through a Wall of Thorns.  They can walk back through such a wall, but once again it will take their whole action and it won't do anything until the next turn.

I have found it can also work very well if the square in question isn't important to just walk away and throw up a wall between your mage and the square they were just in.  This saves the Force Push and 3 mana.
"He who asks a question is a fool for five minutes; he who does not is a fool for a lifetime."