May 19, 2024, 04:17:55 AM

Author Topic: FIF: Harshforge Monolith  (Read 7825 times)

Aylin

• Sr. Mage
  • Banana Stickers 4
    • View Profile
Re: FIF: Harshforge Monolith
« Reply #15 on: April 22, 2014, 02:33:15 PM »
Hmm...

This is really going to hurt a lot of my books. It might be time to play Devouring Jellies in every book to chew through this stuff. Ouch!

sdougla2

• Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 19
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 22, 2014, 06:05:33 PM »
I need to try Harshforge, but I don't like the look of it. It's an anti enchantment tool, and the Warlord needs something in that department, but I'm not a fan of mana denial as a counter to a specific type of strategy, as it narrows the optimal strategy. I particularly dislike adding Upkeep to a whole class of things.

At least other mana denial cards leave you room to work and take time to be efficient plays most of the time. With Harshforge, I suspect you can often break even on mana the turn you play it in many matchups, as catching 6 enemy enchantments in it's area of influence is not unreasonable. And then it's extremely tough for it's cost, making killing it potentially a full round of effort, even without protection from guards. Even with adjusted play, and using fewer enchantments, many builds will want to use at least 3 enchantments at a time.

On the other hand, this will make command incantations much more on par with enchantments with similar effects.

Harshforge looks extremely good for the Warlord and Necromancer. Possibly for the Wizard as well, although it will weaken traditional telepit plays based on Enchantment Transfusion, Jinx, Nullify, and Force Hold/Force Crush. Still, you can often get the important aspects of that type of play to work fine with Teleport spam anyway, so...
  • Favourite Mage: Straywood Beastmaster

Zuberi

• Rules Guru
  • Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 57
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 22, 2014, 10:54:28 PM »
This seems very much on par with [mwcard=MW1J16]Mordok's Obelisk[/mwcard] which gives a whole category of cards (creatures) the upkeep +1 trait within the whole arena. This gives a whole category (enchantments) the upkeep +1 trait while their within a maximum of 5 out of the 12 zones within the Arena. Over half of the Arena will not be affected by this and Enchantments shall be safe therein.

This will probably cause an adjustment of play style, but it has several counters to it that work better than those for Mordok's Obelisk. You could run fewer Enchantments or let some be destroyed when this comes out. You could simply try to destroy this. Or you could try and flee from it's influence and take the fight elsewhere. Creature Swarms lack the last option when Mordok's Obelisk comes out, and thus most people opt for the first one which removes swarms from the Meta almost entirely. I think having this extra option will allow for enchantments to still be fairly prevalent. You might be caught by surprise one round and have to make a hard decision, but it's not something you'll have to pay for repeatedly. You'll either destroy it or flee before having to pay a second round.

Also, like you said, Incantations provide a viable alternative to many enchantments and may now see more action. There's not much you can do to replace creatures. Between the two conjurations, I don't think Harshforge is the overpowered one. I'm not really claiming Mordok's is either. The game seems to work fine with it having been present from the beginning, but it certainly has more of an influence on game play.

Since we're on the topic, I'm actually really looking forward to seeing if this expansion does make a soldier swarm viable for Warlord because that still seems to be what he's geared towards. He would thus be taking the option of having to destroy Mordok's Obelisk and Suppression Orb should they come out, but Conquer definitely will help to make that easier to do, and there might be more siege engines to assist him as well.

silverclawgrizzly

• Charlotte Mage Warrior
  • Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 23, 2014, 01:09:22 AM »
Obviously this will hurt the Beast Masters a good bit as they tend to go Enchantment heavy, but it can also hurt Dark mages who like to pile on the curses.

Mind you I think the simplest thing to do would just be destroy it, not super hard given the number of ways to get around armor. Still it'd be awesome for no other reason than it makes me waste my time attacking it.

I like it a lot, though before long the Warlord is going to need to get a small engineer corps of Goblins to help him build and maintain all these Conjurations.
  • Favourite Mage: Straywood Beastmaster
What we must all remember is no matter the game we were all newbies at one point.

timer000

• New Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 23, 2014, 07:52:46 AM »
I think this card is over power,
If my opponent have 3 enchantment on him and his craetures
(This is very easy to see this condition,1 nulify,1 bear strength,1agony)

I will cast this card at my final quick action.
My opponent at least need to pay 2 rounds mana,before destorying this card.

I can ensure I will earn 6 mana in 2 rounds.
and this card is only cost 6 mana.

I think this card is too strong that almost every one need to use it.

Wildhorn

• Superior artificial brain, feel free to call me Blaine.
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 3
    • View Profile
    • Mage Wars Quebec
« Reply #20 on: April 23, 2014, 08:18:26 AM »
I think this card is over power,
If my opponent have 3 enchantment on him and his craetures
(This is very easy to see this condition,1 nulify,1 bear strength,1agony)

I will cast this card at my final quick action.
My opponent at least need to pay 2 rounds mana,before destorying this card.

I can ensure I will earn 6 mana in 2 rounds.
and this card is only cost 6 mana.

I think this card is too strong that almost every one need to use it.

Why would your opponent cast an Agony on himself?

Also, all he has to do is to move outside the short range of the monolith to pay nothing.

It is not worst than to drop an obelisk when your opponent has 4 creatures out.

This card is far from being OP. It is very good and useful and help alot against enhantment stacking just like obelisk help against swarm.

isel

• Sr. Mage
  • Banana Stickers 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: April 23, 2014, 09:31:44 AM »
i think this card it´s good but not over, vs a druid or a beastmaster its OP but other mages dont run many enchantments, and i think a beastmaster can pay 4 mana one turn and destroy this conjuration with his grizzly bear overpoweredmanyenchantmentsonhim.com or better, take one zone from it or teleport, sincerily when this card have a good use (3 or 4 opponents enchantments in zone) i believe my opponent its near to his dead and this card don´t have many use, i prefer throw a fireball than lose a quick action to spend on this.

isel

• Sr. Mage
  • Banana Stickers 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: April 23, 2014, 09:32:22 AM »
ohh, i forgot, Laddinfance where is the spoiler for today?

Lord0fWinter

• Warden of the North
  • Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 7
  • www.magewars.weebly.com
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: April 23, 2014, 09:43:43 AM »
ohh, i forgot, Laddinfance where is the spoiler for today?

There aren't enough cards in the set to do a spoiler every day. There are 41 new cards. We've officially spoiled 21 of them, over half. And there are a few that we've seen glimpses of, like the Morning Star, Otto, etc.

We've got over a month to go. It's probably coming out at Origins, which is June 14. So closer to 2 months. We've gotten 2 this week already. I don't think we'll get one today, perhaps tomorrow or Friday.
  • Favourite Mage: Darkfenne Necromancer
Visit my Mage Wars blog at www.magewars.weebly.com, also check me out on facebook at https://www.facebook.com/MageWarsBlog and on twitter at @MageWarsBlog

Wildhorn

• Superior artificial brain, feel free to call me Blaine.
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 3
    • View Profile
    • Mage Wars Quebec
« Reply #24 on: April 23, 2014, 10:15:17 AM »
There is enough weeks left to get 2.5 spoilers per week. So yeah if we are lucky we get one for Friday.